Dune: Threat or Menace? To reread or retire.

thistlepong

I have a question.

The third appendix in the first book reads like a list of plot holes. I'm wondering, are those questions answered in later books or it's only the pretense a solution may exist? I thought the book was self contained and that those questions had a more simple answer: "a wizard did it".

But now that I found them in the book means that they are certainly not overlooked by Herbert. So what is he up to? He already had a long term plan in mind?

But now that I found them in the book means that they are certainly not overlooked by Herbert. So what is he up to? He already had a long term plan in mind?

I think he had definite ideas if not all of the exact details about those ideas in mind when he wrote Dune. It feels to me like when he wrote Dune it Frank Herbert wasn't decided on writing more books in that universe or not. However, once he did start continuing the story he new where he wanted to take it.

The fact that he didn't write the sequel(s) to Chapterhouse: Dune is a definite loss for science fiction.

Except it's not at the start of the story. Leto is killed right at the middle of the book, after you've spent half the novel with him; yes, you can guess Paul is the main character and not his dad, but his dad looks like the 2nd most important character all along.

It still happens at the start of the Hero's Journey. It's the "his village gets wiped out" from your standard fantasy novel.

The Red Wedding is like if Paul gets a knife in the back after drinking the water of life and surviving.

Someone said upthread that Bakker's work is more like Dune than WoT is. It got me to musing that maybe Achamian could fulfill the Duncan Idaho role.

Don't want to say much more because of, y'know, spoilers and such.

I second this but want a real answer. Most of what I've seen Dune fans say about it is basically, "if you don't agree that it's good, you suck." I can't remember anyone ever explaining WHY it's worth reading.

Above everything else is the amazing story. It's complex, It's massive, it's full of pathos and full of great characters. Plus it's easy to get into, so even someone who isn't used to sci-fi should be able to read it.

I've read Dune about 3 times and I'm due a reread soon.

Archived