Wheel of Time: total 1402's threads all merged...

total1402

I might be wrong or misreading certain things which are just meant to be friendships. But, I am 2/3 through Eye of the World and it seems like Perrin is taking a liking to Egwene and vice versa; whilst origionally I thought her n Rand were going to end up together. Makes sense with Moraines prophecy. Whilst Lan seems to be taking an interest in Nyaeve; whilst origionally I thought him and Moraine were together. I just wondered whether that musing is correct and in later books this is the cause of some conflict? I might be wrong with the Lan/Moraine thing, because shes basiclly the Gandalf type character and theres probably some rule about Warders n Aes Sedai not being an item which I am not aware of yet. But they seemed that close that I just assumed.

Would you like me to tell you exactly who ends up with who and why? and all the various things that happen between Aes Sedai?

Lan does end up with Nyneave, and it is a mad tempestous love affair.

Morraine marries Thom Merrilin

Egwene marries Gawyn, and bonds him as a warder, so that answers your question about Warders and Aes Sedai

Perrin marries a character you havent met yet, who is extremely annoying.

Rand has three bints chasing him, and impregnates two of them.

There is no conflict involved in any of the relationships, apart from some minor love triangle nonsense that gets resolved very quickly when the third wheel meets their true love.

Helpful?

I am about 2/3 of the way through and aside from some implication that the Dark One twisted several Kings into attacking Aes Sedai like Hawkwing to give them a bad name and some hints of "factions" in Tar Valon I didn't get why they were that despised. Its a bit extreme that they're quite that demonised to the extent that even in Emonds Fields people know Aes Sedai are bad when they don't even know what Kingdom they're part of. Without any post eye of the world spoilers; where exactly did this really bad reputation come from?

Being a cryptic meddler is not the same as being a bully. :D

Thats like saying Obi Wan was a bully for getting Luke to leave Tatooine. No, he was a cryptic meddler.

If Moraine were a bully she would have just threatened to lightening bolt the Emond Fielders if they kept bitching or tried to wander off.

Moiraine isn't your average Aes Sedai.

They can't use the Power as a weapon unless in self defense or against the Shadow, so they often resort to manipulation instead, but they do use the Power to intimidate or make people miserable. Just read New Spring, the story that tells how Lan and Moiraine met.

One of the main issues with the White Tower is that their entire hirarchy is based on strength in the One Power. They bully each other just as much as the non-channelers.

Yeah the whole male Aes Sedai going mental and breaking the world thing was pretty bad, and then Hawkwing who was the best ruler randland ever had being turned against Aes Sedai to the point where he spent a decade besieging their city and trying to kill them all also not a good thing. Also we have them being very secretive, isolationist and their whole supernatural thing.

Back in the Age of Legends the Aes Sedai were everywhere in every day life doing stuff to help people, and at the start of Hawkwing's empire things were going that way too... but in the present as of Eye of the World all you have is a tower full of 'witches' and a ton of rumours, stories, myths and whathaveyou about supernatural goings on, evil and meddling, and people tend to remember the bad a lot easier than the good too.

Um, just FYI, you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a question about Wheel of Time. You can just put a new question in one of your existing threads, and someone will still read it. Or you could just read and find out, Robert Jordan's favorite response to everything.

Um, just FYI, you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a question about Wheel of Time. You can just put a new question in one of your existing threads, and someone will still read it. Or you could just read and find out, Robert Jordan's favorite response to everything.

Or he could start reading Dune and learn the answer from the Bene Geseret. This is what i would advise :P

It's simple:

Men fear them because Aes Sedai are more powerful than they. It emasculates them.

Women hate them, because what woman wouldn't hate another, which stays forever young, gets to wear good silk dresses all day, while not doing any mundane work and to top it all does not sweat in summer (and consequently doesn't stink)?

Depending on whose in charge of Tar Valon at the time, Aes Sedai can be quite condescending and manipulative. They're still popular in the Borderlands because they're so useful on and off the battlefield, but in more southerly areas that kind of meddling grates, and makes the leadership in those countries prone to believe in all manner of anti-Aes Sedai beliefs.

Archived