Wheel of Time: total 1402's threads all merged...

total1402

Women hate them, because what woman wouldn't hate another, which stays forever young, gets to wear good silk dresses all day, while not doing any mundane work and to top it all does not sweat in summer (and consequently doesn't stink)?

Yes, women are all jealous harpies. Clearly. :ack:

Twice at least. Hell, book 10 is basically just the climax of book 9 happening over and over again in different parts of the world.

Reading the first book I had to stop once and check my bookmark worried it had fallen out and got put back somewhere i had already read. Nope.....it was just more traveling and talking about the same stuff.

I have only gotton towards the end of the first book. So I am not too keen on spoilers. I don't know, if thats something the dark one tries to do that in a later book, or if theres something massively important about how he corrupted the male one power; I wouldn't want to know. But, why didn't he just corrupt both facets of the One Power and drive all Aes Sedai insane?

I have only gotton towards the end of the first book. So I am not too keen on spoilers. I don't know, if thats something the dark one tries to do that in a later book, or if theres something massively important about how he corrupted the male one power; I wouldn't want to know. But, why didn't he just corrupt both facets of the One Power and drive all Aes Sedai insane?

Seriously, don't start a new thread every time you have a question. There are already three threads on the first page of you asking very basic WoT information. If you need to, just retitle one of them "Basic WoT questions" and post your questions there.

And if you aren't keen on spoilers, you should stop asking for people who have read the entire series to tell you things that will be explained later in the books. Your questions will be answered in good time.

If you really want to know why saidin and not saidar is corrupted:

Spoiler
Saidin was used by Lews Therin to seal the Dark One in his prison. At that time, the Dark One could touch Saidin, and was able to corrupt it. No female Aes Sedai participated in resealing the Dark One's prison, so he could not touch/corrupt Saidar the same way.

Only male Aes Sedai were involved in the sealing of the Dark One, and it was his counter-attack at that last moment that tainted saidin, so saidar was unaffected. It's all in the Glossary, and probably mentioned in the main text as well.

So, the fact that they touched him with their version of the One Power meant they were corrupted? Or is this an ability the Dark One has anyway but never used before? I don't understand how hurling lightening bolts at the Dark one or his followers doesn't establish enough of a connection for corruption of the One Power; but this entrapment did.

Jordan also said in a later interview (spoiler-laden, so don't look, but here's a link for others who care) that the taint was only possible because of the precise conditions of the placing of the seals on the Dark One's prison, and implied it might have been an accident rather than something the Dark One intended.

Archived