Wheel of Time: total 1402's threads all merged...

total1402

this people are all feeding you misinformation, total.

it's very plain in tEotW that both male and female sides were corrupted. i for one find it hard to believe that you missed this, and therefore you must be messing with us.

Right?

OP, are you sure you read the book? If so i recommend a re-read. Everything I've ever read in the books (and i've now read them all) indicates that both of them are corrupted.

So, the fact that they touched him with their version of the One Power meant they were corrupted? Or is this an ability the Dark One has anyway but never used before?

The Dark One can only taint either half of the source if men use it to actually touch him.

I don't understand how hurling lightening bolts at the Dark one or his followers doesn't establish enough of a connection for corruption of the One Power; but this entrapment did.

How can hurling Lightning possibly be compared to touching? Not that anyone has ever hurled lightning at the Dark One anyway. As for his minions, they are not him, so touching them with the OP won't have the same effect.

Robert Jordan and/or the publisher already ruined the series when the books got popular and it was decided to slow things down and milk the series as long as possible.

Meh i still like them. Same thing might happen with ASOIAF or may have already happened but ill still enjoy the books. In any case there are some great books in the series and spoiling yourself this early in the book is fairly non-sensical no?

Robert Jordan and/or the publisher already ruined the series when the books got popular and it was decided to slow things down and milk the series as long as possible.

Dang you beat me to this :)

The most annoying thing....and the list is long, are the relationships.

In the first 2 books i was so sick of Ran saying "I wish i could talk to girls like Perrin" and Perrin saying i wish i could talk to girls like Mat ect ect that i wanted very badly for Sandor Clegane to ride them all down like the bunch of butchers boys that they are.

Some fifteen-year-olds think those things. But Rand, Mat, and Perrin are nineteen in The Eye of the World, and neither they nor any other characters ever demonstrate a more mature or varied understanding of romantic relationships than that sort of high school stuff. Every couple dynamic is a trite "battle of the sexes," as though no man has ever understood or wholeheartedly supported a woman, or vice versa. It's like a 50s sitcom where the wives can do magic.

Im not that sure nineteen year olds dont ever doubt there own prowess, or that they are sometimes envious of their friends, even if wrongly so. Unless their very mature nineteen year olds. And IIRC by the end they are what? 21 or 22? All very young men which many people seem to forget

Again, the question isn't whether anyone might sometimes behave that way, but whether everyone ought to do so all the time. I'm trying to think of a single romantic relationship shown in any depth in the series that doesn't involve stuff like that-- "comical" doubts and misunderstandings, loving insults, mutual incomprehension-- and I can't come up with any. Jordan's writing about romance just reeks of a desire to make readers say, "Aww, haven't we all felt like that?" Well, we haven't. It would have been interesting to show how only women being able to channel (safely) affected perceptions of gender roles. It's a really great notion for a thoughtful fantasy series. But the series' own perceptions of inherent gender roles and relations prevents it from providing that level of commentary.

Most of the scenes in this series happen twice :)

Yeah, but thats nothing on Martin. In ADWD he has three seperate POVs describe Volantis across multiple chapters, and only narrowly avoids giving us Victarion in Volantis at that.

Archived