Did you like the the change of Stannis on the Blackwater?

GarthKITN

ok, havent read this thread yet, just a couple of posts but it occurrred to me something that Renly said (and is apparently a widely held belief) that Stannis shouldnt be king because he is not charasmatic enough.

With all this love for BAMF Stannis, is it really in keeping that Stannis would have trouble being king, leading powerful lords? I think not.

Of course I love BAMF stannis so there is that.

It changes the books but I think you should just not bother watching the tv series if you are going to complain about every little change.

It's a tv show based on the books. It's more interesting for Stannis to be on the frontlines fighting then pushing wooden men around a map which is the alternative.

It's also a great juxtaposition with Joffrey who runs away at the first sign things are going wrong and Cersei who is hearing about the battle second hand.

Also, lead characters don't wear helmets on tv - it's tv, not a historical adaptation. It was stupid but get over it.

The sex in the books is so much more painful too. GRRM can't write a sex scene to save his life.

I don't know what kind of sex you've been having but it strikes me as very real or at least revealing. Ned and Cat in book 1 was very "been married a few decades but still going at it" type sex. It's the kind I'm used to and it was nice to see it not all hot and heavy or them being bored with each other.

Jamie and Cersei in the sept going at it in front of their dead son was very revealing at the depths of depravity they had for each other and how out of control and destructive their first relationship was. Sam's was very "first time and awkward" type sex. He writes great sex scenes, just not ones full of romance and passion. If you're having the sex of romance novels congrats but that's not most people's lives and GRRM reflects that well.

You can't imply things on TV as well as in a book. It's hard to make Stannis a feared and respected commander on TV, it's easier to simply show him leading his men.

I expect in Season 3 we'll see Jon hack some wildlings with his sword, maybe even a giant. It works better on TV than having him work out the logistics of how many arrows they have left and simply pushing a few frozen buckets off the edge of the cliff. If some make it to the top and have to get cut down or Jon himself instead of Donnel Nye goes into the tunnels it works well for TV. No harm in it. I tell stories differently if I'm telling them to an adult in person, to kids around a campfire, or on a facebook post. There are different storytelling methods for different mediums. GoT does a wonderful job telling the story of Westeros.

Archived