Bethesda NEED to make a Game of Thrones game

Burford11

There is a real need for a decent GoT video game at the moment.

If you've ever played Skyrim, you'll know the similarities with aSoIaF. Bethesda can really get their money's worth here, without that much effort as the engine is already there. I know there are GoT mods for Skyrim, but imagine strolling through a fully fledged Westeros and Essos during the time of Aegon the conquerer, or Robert's rebellion, or the events of GoT.

Makes me both excited and angry that they haven't done it.

BETHESDA PLEASE! :bowdown:

It's already been proposed to them and it's not going to happen.

"With A Song of Ice and Fire, we went, We want to do that! People in our studio liked it, and it seeped in a bit to what we were doing. We were actually asked a while ago to turn those books into games. We wanted to do our own world. That's where we wanted to put out time into. Before we were even making Skyrim, there was a conversation with George R.R. Martin's people. They thought it would be a good match and so did we, actually, but then we thought about if that was where we wanted to spend our time. It was tempting, though."

Relic, BioWare and Paradox have also all looked at the project and passed. They might have a different viewpoint given the success of the TV show, but AFAIK Cyanide still have the rights to the books and TV series and, assuming the first two games sold well, will presumably be looking at making more, so that ship has sailed for the forseeable future.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of all these representations of ASOIAF? Sure, the TV isn't as bad as it could be but it's still almost a travesty to attempt to turn a piece of fantasy literary brilliance such as ASOIAF into a TV show, movie or game. It wouldn't work as a Bethesda game at all. Unless they just kept the brand and characters etc. and came up with their own story/events/choices, that would still piss me off though.

I think the only kind of ASOIAF themed video game I would accept is if a good dev with really good tech worked very closely with GRRM (after he was done with the books) and completely created the whole world. Every single topographic detail that Martin could come up with. Make the ASOIAF world some-what real. After that's done (which would probably take a long fucking time) just let the player fly around and see everything. Like free roam spectator mode or some shit. The player could just spend hours flying around experiencing the diverse beauty of the world and visiting everything; Dorne, Winterfell, King's Landing, The Wall, The Eyrie and everything in-between. Then they hire someone to make a beautiful ambiance soundtrack like Skyrim has. No characters, no story, no fucking dragons and maybe some animals like wolves and birds and shit just roaming around. That would be awesome.

Unfortunately noble they wouldn't make much money out of a game with no Plot or action! I agree with you in that I don't like all these representations of ASOIAF. The TV is ok but I get annoyed how it almost overshadows the books to the general public. Also wish that valyrian steel didn't make show replicas as well as book ones. I think it cheapens the replicas when there is two versions of the same thing and replicas of stupid things that meant nothing in the book like Rob Starks sword from the show. I know they want to make more money which is fair enough but it makes all the other good swords worth less in my opinion.

Unfortunately noble they wouldn't make much money out of a game with no Plot or action!

My name isn't Noble haha. I know it's an impossibility that a game like that would be made, I just think it's a cool idea and one of the only situations I'd tolerate a video game representation of A Song of Ice and Fire.

The books are all that matter to me. Adaptions are sometimes better than the source material (LOTR is a good example of that), but it just isn't the case with ASOIAF. I like the show and don't want it to get cancelled, but it wouldn't bother me too much if it was. George created the series and will always do better a better job of telling than story than anyone else. Game of Thrones is just a useful distraction from the long wait between books for me.

Bethesda are already doing a great job with their own stuff. TES and Fallout are both amazing and there's still a lot of room for more games set in those worlds. They don't need to start adapting other work at the moment and probably never will. Pre Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 3 Bioware could've made an amazing ASOIAF game. Unfortunately that company has fallen apart and become everything I hate about the gaming industry.

Unfortunately that company has fallen apart and become everything I hate about the gaming industry.

I would change that to: "Unfortunately that company is owned by EA, which is everything I hate about the gaming industry" seriously fuck EA. BioWare obviously isn't a bad dev, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and blame EA for all their apparent shortcomings.

I could totally see Bethesda making a kickass ASoIaF game, but I'd rather have them working on the next Fallout game honestly. BioWare could do a cool version; like Mass Effect set in Westeros and Essos. I think they are working on a Mass Effect prequel though. One can dream...

For as long as Cyanide hold the rights, we won't be getting any other offically tied-in games.

However, we do have ASOIAF mods for various other games, such as Total War and Mount and Blade; and no doubt many others. They can't and won't be centred on the plot, but nor can anything else by not-Cyanide; but are still good fun in their own rights

Archived