Why The Jon Hate?

Dolorous Nedd

Daenerys is hated because she's super entitled and has made tons of decisions that keep her away from the part of the story anybody cares about.

Sansa betrayed her father that was one of the best characters of the series. She also has not done anything interesting, and is instead always in interesting circumstances (which makes her POV entertaining). I don't hate Sansa and in fact expect her to become more popular as the series concludes.

Cat treats Jon Snow like a piece of garbage even though her anger is directed to his father. She also makes a pretty stupid decision to capture Tyrion while her husband is surrounded by enemies that SHE HERSELF has warned him about. She is one of the smarter characters but constantly makes horrible decisions to weaken her family's position inadvertently.

The worst thing Jon ever did was convince a woman he was a turn cloak, which he had to do anyways. What was he supposed to tell Ygritte? Oh by the way don't tell anyone but I'm still a crow so don't come near the wall so you don't die, love you.

This isn't a woman vs. man thing. Blame GRRM for writing most if the women to be half mad or traitorous, not the reader for relating to one character over another.

I read this a lot but really I don't think Martin meant that his fantasy novel would be devoid of fantasy "tropes". I mean it has dragons, yeah well we've seen that before. It has malevolent alien beings creating zombies and wanting to dominate life. Yeah we've seen that before as well and not only in fantasy but also in other genres like sci-fi and horror.

My point is, fantasy tropes are inevitable in a fantasy novel. Then I read stuff like "it should be about the Game not the Wall". Yeah well hate to break it to people but it is about the Wall and what's happening there. In the end magic (and thus, fantasy tropes) will become more and more prevelant coming two novels. The Game is but a sideshow, and Dany's Idiot Abroad adventures a spinoff altogether.

In the end it's all about humanity destroying Evil and there's a good chance Jonny's going to play a big part in that. And a lot of people who want more of the Game and less "Wall stuff" may not like that, which can lead to not liking Jon. I don't know what those people are expecting though because well, they've signed up for a fantasy novel not an alternate history fiction.

The Game "sideshow" has taken up the vast majority of the pages of the series so far. It's the Wall plotline which has been the sideshow.

More importantly, the Game chapters and plotlines are much better written on average IMO, so of course I prefer to have more of them and less of the Wall.

BTW, just because it's a fantasy series, doesn't mean it's inevitable that the characters would to have to save the world from magical creatures trying to destroy it, far from it.

There's also a huge problem I have with him being so likeable when compared to other (usually female) characters like Daenerys, Sansa and Catelyn. All three are widely hated while Jon is praised by almost everyone. It's annoying.

You've been here before and each time your dislike of Jon is questioned, you compare it to the relative dislike [insert female character] gets. Throughout the course of the series, Jon had minimal interaction with most POV characters. He can easily be looked at in a different medium to everyone else, because beyond the Wall is a storyline of good vs evil, with clear cut choices, which would be obvious to any person in Jon's situation.

Basically, whenever Jon does something that can be marked as morally right, wise, or good, he's falling into some stereotype.

The worst thing Jon ever did was convince a woman he was a turn cloak, which he had to do anyways. What was he supposed to tell Ygritte? Oh by the way don't tell anyone but I'm still a crow so don't come near the wall so you don't die, love you.

That's the reason I have issues with him (hate is a strong word, I still like his story) although I did admit to be a huge Ygritte fan and am just being unreasonable.

The Game "sideshow" has taken up the vast majority of the pages of the series so far. It's the Wall plotline which has been the sideshow.

More importantly, the Game chapters and plotlines are much better written on average IMO, so of course I prefer to have more of them and less of the Wall.

BTW, just because it's a fantasy series, doesn't mean it's inevitable that the characters would to have to save the world from magical creatures trying to destroy it, far from it.

Martin said in an interview that magic would become more important next two novels. He also said somewhere that the Game and people fighting over the throne are not only a sideshow but missing the point that humanity is threatened. Can't remember where I read/saw that though. At any rate when I read/watch modern interviews I never get the impression that Martin is writing a political drama in a fantasy setting. The Others, The Wall, Dragons and likely Jon Snow will become imporant. And I suspect you may not like that. ;)

ps I'm not saying Martin has a classic fantasy cliche ending waiting for us. I'm saying the series will definitely focus on magic more than it has past novels.

Because he's probably the main character and the actual hero of the whole thing and they can't stand it.

Martin has always said that the three "main characters" are Jon, Dany, and Tyrion. In that bunch, you have a pretty diverse array of characters. I also think we're likely to see more than one heroic character.

I honestly find his character to be boring not his chapters as they are the central POV of the wall and beyond.

I dont know, I mean his character doesnt really move me, or makes me want to know more about this person and what he feels, and I am part of a minority in this forum who think that. The rest really like him.

And HATE?! I really cant find anything to hate him for. I hate some of his actions but he is nowhere near Ramsay or Gregor.

You've been here before and each time your dislike of Jon is questioned, you compare it to the relative dislike [insert female character] gets. Throughout the course of the series, Jon had minimal interaction with most POV characters. He can easily be looked at in a different medium to everyone else, because beyond the Wall is a storyline of good vs evil, with clear cut choices, which would be obvious to any person in Jon's situation.

Basically, whenever Jon does something that can be marked as morally right, wise, or good, he's falling into some stereotype.

Exactly. If Jon does something bad then it'd be, "Oh man what a jerk, how can anyone possibly root for this guy?" But if he does something good, then it's, "Oh god he's so boring, what a sterotype, what a cliche, bitch bitch bitch."

There is literally no way for someone like that — an actually decent person doing stuff for the greater good and not empty, transient political power — to win on here.

Because he's probably the main character and the actual hero of the whole thing and they can't stand it.

This.

I'd also say that Jon is hated because he is one of the few characters with good intentions, always. And because the coolest girls in ASOIAF world seem to like him.

Exactly. If Jon does something bad then it'd be, "Oh man what a jerk, how can anyone possibly root for this guy?" But if he does something good, then it's, "Oh god he's so boring, what a sterotype, what a cliche, bitch bitch bitch."

There is literally no way for someone like that — an actually decent person doing stuff for the greater good and not empty, transient political power — to win on here.

Well duh, power plays, sisterfucking, child murder and court intrigue is realistic. Edgy. More believable than the plight of decent people.

Well duh, power plays, sisterfucking, child murder and court intrigue is realistic. Edgy. More believable than the plight of decent people.

He needs to burn someone alive or toss a small child out a window. Then he'll be the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Oh god I laughed.

Archived