"Wow I never noticed that" v.2

Lady Green

This is probably a really silly one and might have been mentioned before...

But i realised that Nymeria Sand is a lot like a cross between Arya and Sansa. She's beautiful and regal like Sansa, but tough and deadly (carrying dozens of concealed knives around) like Arya. And then i realised that her moniker of Lady Nym just happens to be the same as their direwolves.

Lady + Nymeria = Lady Nym of the Sand Snakes.

Nice catch stingray, though to be honest we haven't seen much of Lady Nym or any of those contrived Sand Snakes to form much of an opinion yet.

Idiotically I only just caught the Braavos/Phoenician connection.

The Phoenicians being the purple sailors, and (I think) having a grand statue of their god Melqart standing in their port at Tyre.

They also were a selection of city states as opposed to a unified people, which can be applied to the Free Cities.

At the Harrenhal Tourney, Rhaegar passed up his wife to symbolically place Jon Snow in Lyanna's lap. About a year later, he did the exact same thing, minus the symbolism. GRRM is awesome.

Robert had been jesting with Jon and old Lord Hunter as the prince circled the field after unhorsing Ser Barristan in the final tilt to claim the champion’s crown. Ned remembered the moment when all the smiles died, when Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish princess Elia Martell, to lay the queen of beauty’s laurel in Lyanna’s lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost.

Jon is the blue winter rose. A 'laurel' is a figurative way to honor someone. So it follows that Rhaegar honored Lyanna by putting Jon in her lap. Not only did he put Jon in her lap, he put him there in the form of a crown. Jon is king.

ETA: I think most people probably recognized some vague symbolism. The discovery for me was that the symbolism is much more specific than I had originally realized.

to my shame, I have to admit that it took me a week after finishing all the books to figure out the 'bear song' is about Mormont. Only now I understand why it is kind of popular in the North, more than the south.

It's not, it was famous before Jorah was cool. But anyway, some parallels could be found.

Only now I understand why it is kind of popular in the North, more than the south.

I'm not sure if this is the case, the first people I think of that sing "Bear and the Maiden Fair" are Butterbumps and Sam, both of whom are from the Reach(although that me only be because I'm rereading ASOS right now). But yeah even if it wasn't written for/about Jorah, it's definitely a strong parallel.

At the Harrenhal Tourney, Rhaegar passed up his wife to symbolically place Jon Snow in Lyanna's lap. About a year later, he did the exact same thing, minus the symbolism. GRRM is awesome.

Jon is the blue winter rose. A 'laurel' is a figurative way to honor someone. So it follows that Rhaegar honored Lyanna by putting Jon in her lap. Not only did he put Jon in her lap, he put him there in the form of a crown. Jon is king.

ETA: I think most people recognized probably recognized some vague symbolism. The discovery for me was that the symbolism is much more specific than I had originally realized.

Wow! That really spells it out!

I'm not sure if this is the case, the first people I think of that sing "Bear and the Maiden Fair" are Butterbumps and Sam, both of whom are from the Reach(although that me only be because I'm rereading ASOS right now). But yeah even if it wasn't written for/about Jorah, it's definitely a strong parallel.

I kind of guessed it was the Mormont family trait (the very nice hair on Jorahs back comes from somewhere, no?) I did not type Jorah Mormont, because I wasn't sure it was about him, but some man in that family would fit the bill. Kind of like how Barristan Selmy says: maybe she would not have looked at Stark. He never mentions which Stark though.

I never realized Renly and Lora's were gay... After TWO read-through, I was thinking... Why the hell didn't Renly ever get that Tyrell chick in bed.. Then I saw the show, and was like "what the hell is going on with this nipple shaving!?" then looked up that scene in AGoT, and kicked myself in the head.

How the hell did I miss that!?

I did noticed that Dany was probably menstruating at the end of DoD, but I didn't make the connections that she was meant to be infertile or anything that make special the event to be pointed out. I read it as "oh, she has her period, poor thing that it happen while she was in the dessert". Didnt' even consider that she could have had a miscarriage.

Took me awhile to understand that the knight that Princess Rhaella, Dany's mother, was in love with at a young age was actually Ser Bonifer Hasty*.

*Bonifer the Good, leader of the Holy Hundred.

I did noticed that Dany was probably menstruating at the end of DoD, but I didn't make the connections that she was meant to be infertile or anything that make special the event to be pointed out. I read it as "oh, she has her period, poor thing that it happen while she was in the dessert". Didnt' even consider that she could have had a miscarriage.

What I wonder is if she'll ever recognize it as a miscarriage.

Archived