Finding bits of LOTR influences in ASOIAF

Fire Eater

I really like this thread. I only just started reading these books and I’m about a third of the way through #2. I was never a fan of fantasy until GRRM. I have seen all the movies that were released and like them well enough. I didn’t think I’d like the LOTR books, but now I can’t put them down.

I can see the parallels being drawn between Jon & Aragorn easily. When I first read the song “All that glitters…” I instantly thought of Jon. And I am not disagreeing at all; just adding another level. Benjen Stark is descendant from the King’s in the North, is wandering in the North (though some think lost or dead) and he is THE Ranger of the NW.

Someone else mentioned a little earlier that the Elves moved like the Others. This is especially obvious when they are climbing the mountain before entering Moria. Legolas seems to fly over the snow drifts lightly without leaving footprints.

I’d also liken Balerion the Black Dread/Drogon to Balrog. Winged shadow, shadow and fire, black & red. They may be more closely linked depending on how things turn out for Drogon in the end.

LOTR pretty much started the world of Fantasy writing. It's hard not to find influences in other fantasy works.

Though, I won't lie, I've never really been a fantasy reader so I am by no means an expert on the subject.

I agree. It's impossible not to have so many similarities. The lotr is a seminal book in high fantasy and fantasy in general. Shannara, wheel of time, got and even the Malazan book of the fallen are all going to share themes or influences of Tolkien.

Only Steven Erikson has truly added anything revolutionary to the genre. GRRM is just such a master of developing characters and has a background in tv plus he hasn't given in to pressure to release book after book which might of suffered from a lack of considered thought. He knows what he wants to do and will take as long as he needs to honor it.

I really like this thread. I only just started reading these books and I’m about a third of the way through #2. I was never a fan of fantasy until GRRM. I have seen all the movies that were released and like them well enough. I didn’t think I’d like the LOTR books, but now I can’t put them down.

I can see the parallels being drawn between Jon & Aragorn easily. When I first read the song “All that glitters…” I instantly thought of Jon. And I am not disagreeing at all; just adding another level. Benjen Stark is descendant from the King’s in the North, is wandering in the North (though some think lost or dead) and he is THE Ranger of the NW.

Someone else mentioned a little earlier that the Elves moved like the Others. This is especially obvious when they are climbing the mountain before entering Moria. Legolas seems to fly over the snow drifts lightly without leaving footprints.

I’d also liken Balerion the Black Dread/Drogon to Balrog. Winged shadow, shadow and fire, black & red. They may be more closely linked depending on how things turn out for Drogon in the end.

Actually, Legolas leaves "little imprint", not none. Also, Balrogs didn't have wings, that's a misconception based on a metaphoric description.

When I said the same thing about the Wheel of Time and ASOIAF I was treated like a Pariah

http://howthegameofthronesends.blogspot.com/2015/02/why-there-must-always-be-stark-in.html

I am sorry but this is blatant disregard of what truly happened on your thread. Regardless of the font size, what actually happened is that you said that GRRM and RJ were/are telling the same story, using conclusions and theories that are sketchy at least. Furthermore, you ignored the obvious differences in the work of the two authors, plus basically claiming GRRM is ripping off RJ. You weren't treated like pariah, people just found your findings unconvincing... That's all ;)

I am sorry but this is blatant disregard of what truly happened on your thread. Regardless of the font size, what actually happened is that you said that GRRM and RJ were/are telling the same story, using conclusions and theories that are sketchy at least. Furthermore, you ignored the obvious differences in the work of the two authors, plus basically claiming GRRM is ripping off RJ. You weren't treated like pariah, people just found your findings unconvincing... That's all ;)

Amen.

Actually, Legolas leaves "little imprint", not none. Also, Balrogs didn't have wings, that's a misconception based on a metaphoric description.

Sorry. I meant that Drogon was the winged shadow and that balrog was shadow and fire. Not the same, but eerily similar. To me at least.

Aragorn reminds me more of Daenerys Targaryen,last of her line.

Eowyin reminds me of Arya.

Saruman reminds me of Twyin- a cunning,shrewd,intelligent,arrogant man who dies a humiliating death.

how did saruman die?

i recall him being driven from hobbiton by thr returning quad of hobbits,,,,,,,,,,,

LOTR pretty much started the world of Fantasy writing. It's hard not to find influences in other fantasy works.

Though, I won't lie, I've never really been a fantasy reader so I am by no means an expert on the subject.

the vedas pre-date tolkein by many a millennium.

and homers Iliad too.

jason and the argonauts, and the arabian tales that 'inspired' them.

king arthur had sorcerers and magical weapons.

new stories are like new colours, just not possible.

Grima Wormtongue stabs him after Saruman reveals Grima ate Lotho Sackville-Baggins.

and he dies, leaving a body?

i cannot remember, just thought it was at least a little ambiguous; like just his cloak remained?

but i didn't even recall grima chivving him, so probably wrong.

i am not entirely comfortable with the wormtongue lolling about still drooling over eowyn. she was hot stuff.

and he dies, leaving a body?

i cannot remember, just thought it was at least a little ambiguous; like just his cloak remained?

but i didn't even recall grima chivving him, so probably wrong.

i am not entirely comfortable with the wormtongue lolling about still drooling over eowyn. she was hot stuff.

Without the books to hand I can't check, but I think there is some implication that Saruman's spirit (being a Maiar) is rejected by the Valar (a wind from the West or something, iirc. Need to check)

Grima is killed by the hobbits after her knifes Saruman.

Archived