Leathers in the books to come?

What will happen to him and the other wildlings at the wall with Jon dead? Theories, shots in the dark, possible foreshadowing, etc. here. :)

Personally, I thought ADwD was really setting Leathers up to be a major character eventually and when I read Jon's "death" my immediate thought was "Jon's dead, Leathers is going to take over as POV character at the wall along with Mel who'd have more chapters, with Val and/or Shireen being possible POV characters at one point or another as well."

...but then I learned, to my sorrow, that due to the mass negative response to the countless new POVs and the fact there's way too many POV characters as is, that GRRM has decided that the only new POV characters in the upcoming books will be prologues/epilogues. Which is sad. Because I really wanted Val or Shireen as constant POVs. :(

Anyway, derailment aside, what do we think is going to happen to Leathers, Ser Wun Wun, Val, etc?

i think it will strengthen the bond between the loyal to jon nw and the wildlings while also deepening the rift between the nw against jon and the wildling/loyalists. there are going to be big time repercussions for the ones who turned on jon!

What I like about wildlings is that they arnt like westerosi where they're friends dies and than they only talk about him and ally with the ppl that killed him. If Jon is dead than all the wildlings will kill the nw. I think that would happen either way

Yeah, those who do not immediately side with the wildlings are kind of screwed, what with a giant already at castle black and 100(?) more on their way to Eastwatch, not to mention the thousands of wildlings south of the Wall already

Yep Leathers will continue his leadership role and be one of the wildlings to preserve his body for Ghost/Mel/Bloodraven/Bran to unkill him or whatever they're going to do. First he'll slice up whoever tries to stop him and hopefully a couple of Queen's Men while he's at it to try to clamp down on their inflated egos.

Hmmm Good question. It's all dependant on how the Wildlings at Castle Black react to the assassination of Jon. The Wildlings could either revolt against the Nights Watch and take over, or be cowed by the death of Jon and simply submit. And even though I really enjoy Leathers, he will likely remain only a secondary character, along with Dolorous Edd, etc.

The real ticklish question is how will Tormund respond?

The Mountain that Posts.. I think George may have been a bit coy with his answer to the POV question. I think he said there will be no new POVs from characters we haven't met ... but that doesn't necessarily mean no new POVs. So, for example if Val should play a part in JOn's rescue , or if George wants to reveal more of what went down with Ser Patrek , we could well see a POV from Val. We've met her already. ( Besides , she could tell us so much about Leathers , Tormund , Mance and Dalla and herself..as well as give us a window on events )

And I wants one.. ;).. I'm hoping right along with you.

Leathers? He will be the most senior officer at Castle Black not currently mutiniering. And since he has a roughly 996:4 advantage against Bowen and his cronies, he will take command while Jon has his coma-induced dream of the 3EC.

I like this Idea a lot.

Something tells me that Tormund, Val, Ghost, Edd and Mel will all FLIP...

Edd turns into a goddam Hulk and does a Greg Clegane on Bowen Marshs Head! It is known :lol:

Patrick Tully..Yes.The story will come first... And if it was a pledge , he was still being tricky with his words. He joked that he had to start killing characters off , he said there would be no new POVs , paused slightly ,and added the qualifier , from characters we haven't already met.. he also excluded prologues and epilogues.

ETA: I'm hoping Leathers has already earned the respect of the greater number of NW men , who will recognize his authority...Bowen has never enjoyed a lot of respect , except as housekeeping overseer.

I am nervous about what will happen. I believe that the queen's men are in on it as well. the two knights who hastily left after Jon's speech seemed sketchy, as if they were up to something, and Queen Selyse in all sense and purposes is a turd who thinks that Jon and the wildlings are repulsive blasphemes(sp) and has shown to think of their lives as worthless (aka her rather callaous exlamation to let all those women and children die at hardhome. also all of the warriors that are not in the nightswatch are currently getting drunk in a underground mess hall that is easy to blockade. The numbers wont be in Camp Jon's favor.

Archived