Small questions v.10002

Angalin

What's the deal with Sothoros and Ulthos? We hear sweet FA about both, but they're still very interesting. Why would GRRM add in two continents and not have them significant or even mentioned more than once every few books. Also what lies beyond the Sunset Sea and why have the Ironborn never tried to cross it?

What's the deal with Sothoros and Ulthos? We hear sweet FA about both, but they're still very interesting. Why would GRRM add in two continents and not have them significant or even mentioned more than once every few books. Also what lies beyond the Sunset Sea and why have the Ironborn never tried to cross it?

Sothoryos and Ulthos are probably just there for world-building. Not every location on the maps has to play an important role in the story.

People have tried to cross the Sunset Sea before, including a King Stark known as Brandon the Shipwright. We just don't know if any of them have succeeded.

When Jon Arryn was Hand, living in King's Landing with Lysa and Robert, who was ruling The Vale in his stead?

Nestor Royce.

I dont believe for a minute that Jaime could not have been in communication with Tywin.

I really don't think he was. Jamie never mentions getting any messages from his father when he looks back on it. It seems like he did what he did to save the city, not curry favor with his father. Also I dunno that Tywin would trust such an important message to a raven or messenger that could have been shot down or interrogated.

Nestor Royce.

I really don't think he was. Jamie never mentions getting any messages from his father when he looks back on it. It seems like he did what he did to save the city, not curry favor with his father. Also I dunno that Tywin would trust such an important message to a raven or messenger that could have been shot down or interrogated.

He hints at it when discussing conflicting duties with Cat. And why wouldnt he know Dad was coming. Everyone else seemed to know.

Where did Stannis get married?

The Tully-Stark wedding was going to happen at RR. The Tully-Frey wedding happened at The Twins. But then Joffrey's wedding happened at KL.

So maybe except for royal weddings, they happen at the bride's family home. Which would have been Brightwater Keep.

He hints at it when discussing conflicting duties with Cat. And why wouldnt he know Dad was coming. Everyone else seemed to know.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't aware of Tywin's arrival. I just don't think he plotted anything with Tywin about the sac or killing the king.

Anyone else ever wonder which side of the Robellion that House Whent fought on?

I don't think it's ever said. It's hard to guess too. They were part of the Riverlands and Lady Whent was Cat's mother and the Tullys sided with Robert. But then didn't one of the Whents die at the ToJ too? I'm confused but this is interesting.

I don't think it's ever said. It's hard to guess too. They were part of the Riverlands and Lady Whent was Cat's mother and the Tullys sided with Robert. But then didn't one of the Whents die at the ToJ too? I'm confused but this is interesting.

That was Oswell Whent, a member of the kingsguard.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't aware of Tywin's arrival. I just don't think he plotted anything with Tywin about the sac or killing the king.

I dont think he plotted but I think he acted in a way to jive with Tywin and congratulated himself that it also jived with getting rid of a nutbag king and his plans to burn the city. He thought he had honor until Cat called him on it, but he pretended he did and killing Aerys as his "finest act" was his excuse.

Anyone else ever wonder which side of the Robellion that House Whent fought on?

Lord Whent, who hosted the Tourney at Harrenhal, was Oswell Whent's brother. The houses that stayed loyal to the Targaryens in the Riverlands were Mooton, Ryger, Goodbrook and Darry, that we know of. At least in Darry and Mooton's case, their castles are relatively close to KL. Harrenhal is relatively close to KL as well, so this adding to the family relation makes it possible they sided with the Targaryens.

However, we don't know how Minisa was related to the rest of the Whents. Its possible she was Lord Whent's sister, but Cat's absence at the Tournament makes this suspicious if Lord Whent was her uncle. But on the other hand, unless they married for love, Hoster would have married to a high lady, and I would assume a cousin to the main Whent line would be below his station as Lord Paramount, which means she would probably be very close to the main line.

In the end, the evidence we can go off of makes it seem equally likely that they served either side. But given that they are not mentioned to be loyalists, we can assume they ultimately sided with the Tullys, regardless of Oswell's position as KG knight.

I don't think it had anything to do with jiving with tywin at all. Given how Jaime was an idealistic youth and compares loras to a young him, I believe he simply acted to protect the innocent ppl of KL from being burned to death by a psychopath and his crony. Which is why he didn't do anything before the order was given to blow up the wildfire around the city. Actually it IS the most honorable thing he's ever done. If that order is NOT given I believe he simply takes aerys into custody. In addition to the fact since undoubtedly he could ve been killed himself by any of the gaurds beforehand as he killed the pyromancer.

I don't think it had anything to do with jiving with tywin at all. Given how Jaime was an idealistic youth and compares loras to a young him, I believe he simply acted to protect the innocent ppl of KL from being burned to death by a psychopath and his crony. Which is why he didn't do anything before the order was given to blow up the wildfire around the city. Actually it IS the most honorable thing he's ever done. If that order is NOT given I believe he simply takes aerys into custody. In addition to the fact since undoubtedly he could ve been killed himself by any of the gaurds beforehand as he killed the pyromancer.

THat's what he tells himself.

The reasons I have interpreted it this way include the fact that he really is a dissolute young man from the time of the assassination until his deal with Cat. He doesnt know what to do re: honor and duty because he doesnt have his own moral compass. He has been used by Aerys. He has learned at the knee of Tywin without any life experience. For whatever reason he did what turned out to be the right thing it wasnt all because he was a hero. It all just happened to work out that what was best for Lannisters was best for him and for Kings Landing. He saw a lot of awful things go down that were bad for the realm without doing anything.

Archived