Malazan Question

kingofashes

I just finished GotM and although it took half the book for me to get into it, by the end I knew I had found another series I would love.

I bought the next two books and am 70pages into Deadhouse gates. The problem is I've left the book at work and wont get it for a few days.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I needed to read DG first or if I could start MoI? I know theres a few characters from GotM in DG but the impression I've got so far is you could have read them in any order without many problems, or am I totally wrong thinking that?

The books have a weird format. Basically, there's three seperate storylines (can't remember enough about the names, except the Letherii one, to bother naming them). Lets name them storyline, 1, 2, and 3.

Storyline 1 = books 1, 3, 6, 8 (sort of), onwards.

Storyline 2 = books 2, 4, 6, 9 onwards.

Storyline 3 = books 5, 6 (sort of), 7, 9 onwards.

Storyline 2 sort of requires book 1 to read, so essentially you can start with book 1 or 5. After book 1, you can go to book 2 or 3, but not book 4 before book 2. Read the first 5 books before continuing, because they merge at book 6.

Books 2 and 5 are by far the best, imho. I personally prefer 5 because it is without doubt the most coherent in the series.

You can read Memories of Ice before Deadhouse Gates if you want. The two books happen at the same time, on seperate continents. Just avoid MoI's epilogue, unless you don't mind spoilers.

Books 2 and 5 are by far the best, imho. I personally prefer 5 because it is without doubt the most coherent in the series.

I can't really make sense of the rest of your post. But I do agree with this part.

The books have a weird format. Basically, there's three seperate storylines (can't remember enough about the names, except the Letherii one, to bother naming them). Lets name them storyline, 1, 2, and 3.

Storyline 1 = books 1, 3, 6, 8 (sort of), onwards.

Storyline 2 = books 2, 4, 6, 9 onwards.

Storyline 3 = books 5, 6 (sort of), 7, 9 onwards.

Storyline 2 sort of requires book 1 to read, so essentially you can start with book 1 or 5. After book 1, you can go to book 2 or 3, but not book 4 before book 2. Read the first 5 books before continuing, because they merge at book 6.

That's pretty confusing. The way I think about it (and Erikson has also described it sort of this way before as well) is that book 4 concludes the first part of the series, and then book 5 starts the second part of the series that continues through to book 10.

I don't really think the series is a mess at all. It's definitely not as straightforward and easy to follow as most other series, but it still makes sense in the end. Considering how insanely ambitious and huge it is, Erikson did a magnificent job tying everything together.

I just wanna say that while the thing about the co-running storylines and chronology is true, you wouldn't want to read them out of order really because things are revealed about the world and mythos quite sequentially. So you might both run into something that won't make sense, and spoil a surprise for yourself.

I think you should be alright with just the beginning of MoI, but I'd try to limit it - there's a fact that gets revealed at the end of DG (I think) that has a big impact on the way you'll see the book, and I can't remember whenabouts in the series it then starts being referred to casually in the narrative, but it could well be as early as MoI.

Nope, avoid going past 150 pages or so into MoI. The plots between the books cross over a lot and you'd spoil some of the revelatory moments that you are supposed to have in MoI, at the right time.

Actually there's a small spoiler within the first 100 pages too, though I'm pretty sure no one could notice it.

It seems I disagree with everyone, including that I rate book 5 barely above the 1st. Everything else is better.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm just going to find something else to read (hell I have about 50books waiting to be read)

I thought if the same characters weren't in the books then there wouldnt be much spoilers but I'm forgetting about the info on the world/warrens and how that would effect reading the books out of sync.

I found it a big help to be reading alongside the TOR re-read. I think I would have managed without but there were a few things I missed. It's also helpful making sense of the poetry because alot of that goes over my head.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

What I was doing was distinguishing between the story around Darujhistan (hope I've spelt that right) and that continent (my 'storyline 1'), the story on the other continent or wherever it was (can't remember too well), with Kalam if I remember correctly, and Felisin (is that right? Can't remember the names of any other characters), which was my storyline 2, and the Letherii story (which was my 'storyline 3').

Maybe I just look at it in a weird way. But books 1, 2, and 5 all start completely distinct and seperate story arcs which, while having some crossover, and merging somewhat later on, all conclude at least partially by themselves.

I think I understood what you mean. I was just annoyed last night cause I was looking forward to reading a book I'd left at work.

It's strange but I've got a craving for info about MBotF. I'm still not sure about the warrens and what they can do or what ascendancy is all about. I want to know why gods should fear mortals now instead of the other way around. I especially want to know what a deadhouse is (azath?) and why it let the two assasins enter (do they become more powerful like the emperor?) and I want to know about quick bens plana(kill empress but what else? why will whiskeyjack hate it?) but most of all I want to find out if Whiskyjack is ok... I've got a bad feeling he's either about to be usurped as 2nd in command (cause of old age/injury) or he's going to die... either way the broken leg is going to cost him.

I've heard the books are less confusing after GotM, is that true? I really like how the convos between two characters don't mention things the two ppl wouldnt talk about, so I don't mind if Eriksons writting stays the same, I would like them to be a little easier to read though!

The books are more and more and more confusing after GOTM. Reviews of the last book, from what I've seen (I haven't read it) are "I finished reading this, this was fucking awesome, and I have no fucking idea what's been happening".

Okay.

Book 1 is one of the most confusing because it's the start of an incredibly confusing series and you have no idea what the sweet fuck is happening.

Book 2 is moderately confusing. Book 3 is pretty straightforward. Book 4 isn't that bad. Book 5 is very easy, least confusing book in the series. Book 6 isn't that bad, but somewhat. Book 7 is weird. Parts of it are ridiculously confusing and weird, and the other parts are pretty easy and simple to follow, (but no less awesome, minus some more random weirdity). Book 8 is a giant clusterfuck of pointlessness. Never got round to book 9 or 10.

Basically it gets worse as you go along, resets at book 5, then gets worse again. And this is all relative btw. Even book 5 is about fifty times more confusing then just about any other good fantasy book you can name.

Archived