The Rise of a New House?

Pinkie Baelish

I was just wondering that since ASOIAF is partly based on the Wars of the Roses, is it possible that in the end of the series, the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms(if they are still unified) would be neither a Baratheon, Lannister or a Stark? The Wars of the Roses ended with the rise of the Tudors, who were a lesser branch of the Lancasters. Hence it's possible that GRRM might draw inspiration from this for the ending. So do you think that at the end of the series, we might have someone like say, a Tyrell or maybe even a Blackfyre as the King or Queen of Westeros?

Aren't the Blackfyres extinguished?

I think it's totally plausible neither Lannister, Baratheon or Targaryen sit the Iron Throne, and a new House emerges. I kind of wish that nobody sits the Iron Throne at the end of the series. I want Westeros to revert back to 7 independent kingdoms (or 9, as it would be now).

I was just wondering that since ASOIAF is partly based on the Wars of the Roses, is it possible that in the end of the series, the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms(if they are still unified) would be neither a Baratheon, Lannister or a Stark? The Wars of the Roses ended with the rise of the Tudors, who were a lesser branch of the Lancasters. Hence it's possible that GRRM might draw inspiration from this for the ending. So do you think that at the end of the series, we might have someone like say, a Tyrell or maybe even a Blackfyre as the King or Queen of Westeros?

I believe Jon Snow is ASoIaF's Henry Tudor. I expect Westeros to end up united under a new dynasty bearing the blue winter rose as its sigil.

Aren't the Blackfyres extinguished?

I'm one of those who believe that Aegon might be a Blackfyre

I believe Jon Snow is ASoIaF's Henry Tudor. I expect Westeros to end up united under a new dynasty bearing the blue winter rose as its sigil.

Wow, can't believe I never saw it that way. That makes sense, if he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son.

I think that the Lannisters will suffer the same fate of House Lancaster and be ruined by the end of the series, while the Starks rise again. In regards to House Baratheon, I expect Stannis to die and Shireen(if she survives) to marry either Robert Arryn or Bran(if he returns from beyond the wall).

I'm one of those who believe that Aegon might be a Blackfyre

Wow, can't believe I never saw it that way. That makes sense. And I do think that the Lannisters will suffer the same fate of House Lancaster and be ruined by the end of the series.

Hmm, I think it's Stark=Lancaster and Lannister=York, though I'm not completely sure. In fact, it may be that there isn't a one-for-one correlation. However, Henry Tudor did come from the Lancasters.

Hmm, I think it's Stark=Lancaster and Lannister=York, though I'm not completely sure. In fact, it may be that there isn't a one-for-one correlation. However, Henry Tudor did come from the Lancasters.

I just assumed that Lannister=Lancaster because of the similar sounding names.

and married Elizabeth of York. In this case, Tyrion with Sansa will sit on the irone throne.

I just assumed that Lannister=Lancaster because of the similar sounding names.

I thought the same at first, too. TBH, I think most of us did. But Henry stems from the Lancaster side and Jon from the Stark. If Jon is Henry Tudor then Stark=Lancaster, at least in this case.

and married Elizabeth of York. In this case, Tyrion with Sansa will sit on the irone throne.

My theory is that Jon will marry Margaery Tyrell. She is the heiress* to the (faux) Baratheon-Lannisters; aka, the Yorks. This particular union would see Jon's blue rose joining House Tyrell's golden rose, mimicking the end of the WotR where the white rose of the Yorks joined the red rose of the Lancasters to form the red and white Tudor Rose.

*not the literal heiress, but she will be the top-rated female, for lack of a better term, on that side of the cause.

House Stargaryen. You heard it here first!

Seriously, though:

I thought York = Baratheon/Lannister. Apple Martini did a great post breaking down the possible Wars of the Roses/ASOIAF connections on another thread, arguing York = Baratheon, Lancaster = Targaryen, etc.

Yes, two people with no individual claim in any way, shape or form to the Iron Throne will sit it, after a huge civil war has been fought between all the people who actually might have a claim to it. Is everyone else in Westeros dead in this scenario? Because that's the only way I can see it happening.

Sansa being queen to someone with a legitimate claim at the end of the day is not crazy talk, though. A lot of people have speculated that Sansa will be the Elizabeth of York queen to the Henry Tudor (Henry VII) king, the man who wound up on the throne at the end of all of it. Aegon sounds a lot like Henry VII material, at least on paper; heck, he even flew the red dragon as his banner. The wrinkle, though, is that Henry VII married Elizabeth of York to secure his hold on the crown; at least in terms of positioning her husband with a claim to the throne, Elizabeth of York is really more like Myrcella Baratheon (or Shireen Baratheon, factoring in the incest, I guess) than Sansa, since Sansa's only claim is to the North (in theory, anyway), not to the kingdom.

With that said, Sansa sounds a lot like the historical Elizabeth of York: beautiful, gentle, mild, redheaded, liked music and dancing, etc. It also sounds as if her marriage to Henry Tudor was reasonably happy, at least as far as these purely political marriages go, so Sansa could do worse. Elizabeth of York's mother-in-law ran roughshod over her, but Aegon's mother--supposed or otherwise--being dead and all, Sansa won't have that problem. (It's been speculated that Sansa is heading more in the direction of Elizabeth of York's granddaughter, Elizabeth I, as there are a lot of parallels between the two. We'll see, I guess.)

The Henry VII figure could also be Dany, though. Maybe Jon is her Elizabeth of York, with his Targaryen blood solidifying her claim to the Iron Throne, or something. (Aegon would be the Perkin Warbeck figure in this scenario.)

It will be interesting to see if GRRM resolves the wars in any way that parallels Henry VII; I suppose it's not super likely, given that ice zombies and magical nukes are absent from the Wars of the Roses (at least, as far as I know).

The historical Henry VII had a tenuous claim through a woman (bad) and by illegitimate descent (also bad). This doesn't fit either Dany or Jon. This would fit Aegon if he were the son of Illyrio and Serra as speculated, and if Serra had some kind of Blackfyre ancestry. Of course, GRRM can mix and match as he chooses; he could give Aegon both the legit (Blackfyre) ancestry as Henry VII did and have him exposed and executed for being a pretender as Perkin Warbeck was.

House Targaryen - Plantagenet/Lancaster

House Baratheon - house of York

House Blackfyre/Jon - Tudors?

The rest are a mix, IMO.

I assumed that the Baratheons were closer to House Plantagenet, considering the similarities between Stannis and Richard III. I could be wrong though. But I do think Stannis, like Richard, will die in battle, with the Baratheons going extinct(Shireen may bite it during the winter)

I assumed that the Baratheons were closer to House Plantagenet, considering the similarities between Stannis and Richard III. I could be wrong though. But I do think Stannis, like Richard, will die in battle, with the Baratheons going extinct(Shireen may bite it during the winter)

You assumed incorrectly, then. House Baratheon is not on the throne for long, and they seized it from the Targaryens, whose history has several elements likening them to the Normans/Plantagenets.

Robert resembles Edward IV a lot, and the whole Stannis arc is a lot like Richard III's seizing the throne from his allegedly illegitimate nephews. Also, the Baratheons are fearsome warriors, just like the Yorks.

I´m also in the Camp of the people who say that there will be a new dynasty started by Jon. Maybe even through a marriage with Margaery Tyrell (Jon´s blue rose + Margs golden rose= the blue golden rose of House Stark of King´s Landing).

You assumed incorrectly, then. House Baratheon is not on the throne for long, and they seized it from the Targaryens, whose history has several elements likening them to the Normans/Plantagenets.

Robert resembles Edward IV a lot, and the whole Stannis arc is a lot like Richard III's seizing the throne from his allegedly illegitimate nephews. Also, the Baratheons are fearsome warriors, just like the Yorks.

Ah, my mistake. Guess I should brush up on my English history, eh?

I´m also in the Camp of the people who say that there will be a new dynasty started by Jon. Maybe even through a marriage with Margaery Tyrell (Jon´s blue rose + Margs golden rose= the blue golden rose of House Stark of King´s Landing).

Maybe it's finally starting to catch on. :)

Archived