So let's talk Minecraft.

MinDonner

I admit, despite having clocked up an insane number of hours down those mines, I have yet to even bother building an Ender Portal, much less try to defeat the dragon. *hangs head in shame*

Well, I just beat the Ender Dragon on Hard Survival on the first try. To say the ease with which I did it was a disappointment would be an understatement.

Are you playing on PC or XBox? I've not tried to beat the Ender Dragon yet. Maybe a good goal for the weekend?

Are you playing on PC or XBox? I've not tried to beat the Ender Dragon yet. Maybe a good goal for the weekend?

Once I've tamed dragon from some mod, and fought the Ender Dragon...

After long fight, I've clicked wrong button and I've fallen to my death from height of 100 blocks....

PS3 actually. Yeah I'd been working for a few weeks collecting ender pearls and blaze rods to make the ender eyes... and well before that spent a good long time tracking down where the stronghold was and locating the portal. Last night I finally had enough ender eyes to activate the portal and figured I'd do a save before entering and then see how long I could survive just to get a feel for what I'd need to bring on an actual assault (was carrying enchanted sword, stack of steak, and a couple stacks of dirt/cobblestone). There's a ton of endermen so I mostly just looked down the whole time and then would climb up each tower taking a little damage from the dragon along the way until I destroyed the power blocks on top (not sure what they're called). Probably took an hour or so all told, but wasn't really that difficult at all, since only one or two endermen and the dragon were the only enemies that ever came after me. I suppose having seen the kids do it on creative a few times made it easier as well, since I didn't have to figure out about the towers first before you can damage the dragon.

A few blazes or ghasts in there would definitely up the difficulty.

Dark Sister and Blackfyre from GoT mod are awesome...

I have battlegear mod so I can use both hands. Freys and Targaryen traitors die as flies...

Ice is also cool - you can behead villagers and deserters "In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, I sentence you to death for crimes against the Realm"

But Dawn is the best of them all :)

I also like Lightbringer and Needle...

PS3 actually. Yeah I'd been working for a few weeks collecting ender pearls and blaze rods to make the ender eyes... and well before that spent a good long time tracking down where the stronghold was and locating the portal. Last night I finally had enough ender eyes to activate the portal and figured I'd do a save before entering and then see how long I could survive just to get a feel for what I'd need to bring on an actual assault (was carrying enchanted sword, stack of steak, and a couple stacks of dirt/cobblestone). There's a ton of endermen so I mostly just looked down the whole time and then would climb up each tower taking a little damage from the dragon along the way until I destroyed the power blocks on top (not sure what they're called). Probably took an hour or so all told, but wasn't really that difficult at all, since only one or two endermen and the dragon were the only enemies that ever came after me. I suppose having seen the kids do it on creative a few times made it easier as well, since I didn't have to figure out about the towers first before you can damage the dragon.

A few blazes or ghasts in there would definitely up the difficulty.

I just shot the power blocks (Ender Crystals) with a bow and arrow. I think the barriers go away when the dragon is usuing the crystal to charge, and if you destory one while it's being used it has the added bonus of hurting the dragon. The only downsides are that I did end up getting in a few fights with Ender Men by accidentally looking at them while aiming and that you need a lot of arrows.

I admit, despite having clocked up an insane number of hours down those mines, I have yet to even bother building an Ender Portal, much less try to defeat the dragon. *hangs head in shame*

You actually don't build Ender Portals, you find it and activate it with Ender Eyes. I was really lucky in that the fortress and Ender Portal were really really close to my castle (underground) so it was really easy to find and I had a ton of resources close by.

I would say do it. I felt a special pride after finishing (also because it gave me the platinum trophy) and I now have the Ender Egg proudly displayed in my castle.

snip... and I now have the Ender Egg proudly displayed in my castle.

How'd you mine it? I tried going at the block underneath it but even with a diamond pickaxe I gave up after a minute or two of (seemingly) no progress. I ended up leaving it alone for fear of destroying it if I mined it directly...

How'd you mine it? I tried going at the block underneath it but even with a diamond pickaxe I gave up after a minute or two of (seemingly) no progress. I ended up leaving it alone for fear of destroying it if I mined it directly...

You have to destroy second obdidian block below egg, than put torch there, than destroy obsidian on which egg lays...

There are a few tricks apparently and I didn't even know about Blue Tiger's. Mine had already teleported so I just dug down underneath it (I think 9 or 10 deep, making sure I didn't fall through) so it had nowhere to go and I could pick it up. Once back I accidentally put it in the wrong place :dunce: so I read online and found a much easier way - all you need to do is bring a piston and a lever. Just put the piston next to the egg and the lever behind it. When you activate the piston it will push the egg and you can pick it up.

You have to destroy second obdidian block below egg, than put torch there, than destroy obsidian on which egg lays...

Thanks I'll give that a try. I didn't think it was obsidian underneath (at least didn't look like obsidian, iirc), which is why I gave up. I really wish there was a way to hatch it, maybe a future update (are you listening, Microsoft?)

Or type /give username 137 ;) or 127?

I'm playing on PS3, where you can't enter commands, or at least if you can I haven't came across it. :/

There are a few tricks apparently and I didn't even know about Blue Tiger's. Mine had already teleported so I just dug down underneath it (I think 9 or 10 deep, making sure I didn't fall through) so it had nowhere to go and I could pick it up. Once back I accidentally put it in the wrong place :dunce: so I read online and found a much easier way - all you need to do is bring a piston and a lever. Just put the piston next to the egg and the lever behind it. When you activate the piston it will push the egg and you can pick it up.

I'll try all of these next crack I get at it! (kids are back home through the weekend) Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

I've come up with a horrible/awesome/terrifying idea for which my flatmate has been the current guinea pig.

Playing on an tundra-only map, with perpetual night-time. Minecraft Arctic Winter. My flatmate tells me he is reduced to beating Creepers to death with his fists, just to get saplings. And growing trees outside requires torches...

Archived