So... we all know how this is going to end, right? (SPOILER ALERT)

King's Ruin

How would the Others counter?

For sooth, that is the million gold-dragon question. But as to my friend, Ser Ennepe, you err Ser knight, you err indeed...

1. The Targs stand apart in many ways, least of all as the dynasty which forged the Seven Kingdoms, let alone their unique genetic traits (silver hair, purple eyes, madness),and historical back-catalogue.

2. Say that again - Dragons are 'definately' NOT one of the most powerful forces? You're kidding right? You do know this is a forum about a series of books called 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by author George RR Martin. Rain or no rain, I think it's safe to say Dragons kick ASS. Although I grant you it is interesting to consider the implications if it starts raining, especially as The Others can make it snow. But to say the Dragons are 'definately NOT one of the most powerful forces...' is like you are reading the wrong books or something. And as for The Others... we DO know that they are one of the most powerful forces because that is what Jon, Lady Melisendre and everyone North of the Wall is always saying. You see how they are Necromancers and can raise the dead to fight for them? Prett-t-ty powerful I'd say...

3. Haha I like the way you put it 'You Northerners are sooo crazy...' but you are aware that on this point you actually agree with me that they are the biggest two things people are in denial about coming back to life? The points I make there demonstrate that there is no greater contrast and yet no greater bond than between the worlds of The Wall and Slaver's Bay.

4. 'They are pretty different but not because of the stuff you mentioned'. Er - are you sure? Because I would say being on opposite sides of the globe IS INDEED one of the things which makes them pretty different. Just as I would say both involving ancient long-thought-extinct mythical creatures makes them indeed very similar.

5. Seriously? No. Not seriously because you are not reading what I have written. If you look at what I wrote: ...are the closest thing around to invincible... closest thing, as in, close, but not quite all the way there. In future, try reading something properly (my comments or ASOIAF for that matter) before disputing its content... and Seven Hells, if you use another Stranger-damned smiley face it's gonna be the Red Wedding all over again :devil:

Bran will wake up from his coma to realize he just dreamed it all.

And, some minutes later, after Maester Luwin come to Bran`s room:

Thank the gods you are awaked Bran - speaks Maester Luwin - you remember that your father is in King`s Landing and his the new Hand of King Robert? Oh! Your sisters before leaving to King`s Landing asked me to say they loved you dearly, my boy.

Bran:

The End

I know it seems sooo obvious but I haven't actually come across anyone else saying it outright in the forums (I'm sure there is an old posting somewhere I probably missed) but... Dragons VS Whitewalkers - is there any other way to go? Obviously the 'Ice and Fire' in the title ASOIAF is surely referring to those two (amongst other things) as the ultimate rivals for the final act (because they are the two most formidable forces in the entire GRRM world right?) I also think the way they have been kept so far apart for so long is clear indication of their eventual, inevitable marriage. Are there any other theories I should know regarding this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, sorry if the inclusion of 'SPOILER ALERT' in the title was misleading. I am new around here and I don't know how to properly implement the anti-spoiler stuff (REALLY cool that btw)

I completely ageee. Really, are there no previous threada on this?

Probably there will be a new Field of Fire. The undead burning like dry sticks.

I completely ageee. Really, are there no previous threada on this?

Probably there will be a new Field of Fire. The undead burning like dry sticks.

Someone did make a good point back there somewhere about dragons being afraid of rain and seeing how the Others can make it snow... also, the main argument against this theory is that it is too obvious and GRRM is anything but. I just can't see what could be cooler? If it has to be, then the 'twist to make it different' is surely going to be some as-yet-unknown advtantage that the Others have over the Dragons, to even the playing field a bit. I don't think it's rain or snow but the concept got me thinking... anyone else got any bright ideas?

What could an Other do to a Dragon? What is a Dragon's achilles heel? Cuz once they've put one down...

What's the only think tougher than a Dragon? A ZOMBIE DRAGON

For sooth, that is the million gold-dragon question. But as to my friend, Ser Ennepe, you err Ser knight, you err indeed...

1. The Targs stand apart in many ways, least of all as the dynasty which forged the Seven Kingdoms, let alone their unique genetic traits (silver hair, purple eyes, madness),and historical back-catalogue.

2. Say that again - Dragons are 'definately' NOT one of the most powerful forces? You're kidding right? You do know this is a forum about a series of books called 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by author George RR Martin. Rain or no rain, I think it's safe to say Dragons kick ASS. Although I grant you it is interesting to consider the implications if it starts raining, especially as The Others can make it snow. But to say the Dragons are 'definately NOT one of the most powerful forces...' is like you are reading the wrong books or something. And as for The Others... we DO know that they are one of the most powerful forces because that is what Jon, Lady Melisendre and everyone North of the Wall is always saying. You see how they are Necromancers and can raise the dead to fight for them? Prett-t-ty powerful I'd say...

3. Haha I like the way you put it 'You Northerners are sooo crazy...' but you are aware that on this point you actually agree with me that they are the biggest two things people are in denial about coming back to life? The points I make there demonstrate that there is no greater contrast and yet no greater bond than between the worlds of The Wall and Slaver's Bay.

4. 'They are pretty different but not because of the stuff you mentioned'. Er - are you sure? Because I would say being on opposite sides of the globe IS INDEED one of the things which makes them pretty different. Just as I would say both involving ancient long-thought-extinct mythical creatures makes them indeed very similar.

5. Seriously? No. Not seriously because you are not reading what I have written. If you look at what I wrote: ...are the closest thing around to invincible... closest thing, as in, close, but not quite all the way there. In future, try reading something properly (my comments or ASOIAF for that matter) before disputing its content... and Seven Hells, if you use another Stranger-damned smiley face it's gonna be the Red Wedding all over again :devil:

Uhm…have you been talking to me? without quotes of me it is kinda hard to see who you adress :P

Btw If you want me to read your texts more properly, I advise you to do the same ;) Dragon kick ass yes, but they don´t kick ass when they are 3 years old and, for the most part, do whatever they want. Balerion kicked ass and so did Vhagar and Meraxes, but you can´t say lil Drogon would be as much as a threat as Balerion was.

Talking of dragons and others, I am not convinced by the point that both have to be destroyed to restore order: the others are something unnatural, while the same cannot be said about dragons, which are powerful but nonetheless "natural" creatures. On the other hand, I feel that dragons vs the others is far too obvious for our beloved GRRM to really happen. Is there a third option we cannot see?

I know it seems sooo obvious but I haven't actually come across anyone else saying it outright in the forums (I'm sure there is an old posting somewhere I probably missed) but... Dragons VS Whitewalkers - is there any other way to go? Obviously the 'Ice and Fire' in the title ASOIAF is surely referring to those two (amongst other things) as the ultimate rivals for the final act (because they are the two most formidable forces in the entire GRRM world right?) I also think the way they have been kept so far apart for so long is clear indication of their eventual, inevitable marriage. Are there any other theories I should know regarding this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would bet money( that I don't have) that is not going to happen.

Everything I have read about GRRM not wanting to Good Vs Evil, not wanting the cliche fantasy, and not wanting to write another poor copy of LoTR, tells me your on the wrong track.

I would bet money( that I don't have) that is not even close to what will happen.

Everything I have read about GRRM not wanting to Good Vs Evil, not wanting the cliche fantasy, and not wanting to write another poor copy of LoTR, tells me your on the wrong track.

I can't see anything other than OTHERS VS DRAGONS happening tbh

:agree: I feel like that is gonna happen. I mean, how else do you explain the fact that while the dragons roamed the world the Others were still sleeping or in hiding(whatever they were doing). Then after the dragons were all gone the Others begin to reappear and then with that dragons were hatched once again.

I would bet money( that I don't have) that is not even close to what will happen.

How is a fight between dragons and Others a cliche Good vs. Evil situation? Both are effectively neutral, and both will kill in large doses.

It just depends on if you'd rather die by ice or by fire.

I don't think you can say with such certainty that the climax will be about dragons rising against whitewalkers. When robert baratheon rebelled against the iron throne Ned stark called his banners to join him.

Most of the north rose up against the targaryens. I'd imagine that when (if?) dany reaches westeros she will seek the lrods who served her house until he end. With this line of thought it'd be perfectly reasonable to suspect her initial landing and affairs will be in the south.

I could be wrong. My point is just that there is no certainty of how his will end

I don't think you can say with such certainty that the climax will be about dragons rising against whitewalkers. When robert baratheon rebelled against the iron throne Ned stark called his banners to join him.

Most of the north rose up against the targaryens. I'd imagine that when (if?) dany reaches westeros she will seek the lrods who served her house until he end. With this line of thought it'd be perfectly reasonable to suspect her initial landing and affairs will be in the south.

I could be wrong. My point is just that there is no certainty of how his will end

There aren't enough noble houses that don't already back another contender unless Faegon has them when she arrives. Most of the houses that are Targ loyalist have been extinguished or culled by Lannister and Baratheon. The true houses of the North know what they must do and that is preserve the North to fight the winter. That's why every northern man declared for Robb, he was willing to fight and did not back down, the same as Ned prior to KL.

How is a fight between dragons and Others a cliche Good vs. Evil situation1? Both are effectively neutral, and both will kill in large doses.2

1. Black vs White, G vs E, Fire vs Ice are all the same. It is two opposite/opposing forces against one another. It is the most cliche thing in fantasy. The fact that neither is "right" or "wrong" doesn't change anything.

2. I wouldn't say either are neutral, they both have an agenda, we just don't know what that is. While I would say they are both dangerous, that doesn't mean either would be catastrophic to man kind.

One big thing that hasn't been noted in this thread is GRRM. He has said many times over the years that he has known the major characters, and events and how things would happen in the series from the early chapters back in 1991. That he stopped and wrote the history of Westeros after that did not make any large scale changes in the story itself.

If you add in that GRRM dedicated aSoS to "Phyllis...who made me put the dragons in", pretty much implies that Others vs Dragon was not part of his vision. He would really have to change the direction of what he wanted to do, to make that happen.

Archived