[BOOK SPOILERS] Theon Greyjoy TV question

Ringer

The problem being is, as somebody pointed out, you run the risk of redundant torture scenes for the entire season, which will be just plain nauseatingly wrong. They will need to find a way to deconstruct theon in a more productive manner, isolation, psychological torture, misinformation, etc, all of which strikes me as a very difficult thing to accomplish with limited screen time, plus the butterfly effect of having to keep Ramsey's dark side on ice until the RW. Perhaps a slow slide into torture will be appropriate, with the worst stuff being left till the end ofthe season or stressing the torture as a result of having killed Bran and Rickon.

People also need to keep in mind that Theon might not be in EVERY episode, nor indeed does he have to be--it's not like Jaime Lannister was in every episode of Season 2. You could have him in three to four episodes and would accomplish as much as needed to be accomplished with his character this season.

Why does everyone think they can't reveal Ramsay as a sick fucker until the Red Wedding? We knew he was in the books but the RW still came as a shock to most people

Roose is the major Bolton player in the Red Wedding betrayal. Ramsay has nothing to do with it, really. Not sure what that poster is getting at, but I'm quite sure we're going to see demented Ramsay way before the RW.

Roose is the major Bolton player in the Red Wedding betrayal. Ramsay has nothing to do with it, really. Not sure what that poster is getting at, but I'm quite sure we're going to see demented Ramsay way before the RW.

I don't see why not. But many posters seem to think he can't be revealed until after his pop gives Robb his wedding gift :dunno:

I wish the TV show followed the books. Think about this

ACOK came out in 1998 you didn't hear from Theon again until 2011 in ADWD that is 13 years of no Theon POVs that made the Reek chapter more powerful.

I think D and D should have done the same thing, say good by to Alfie Allen for a few years, and then bring him back in season 5 or 6 if there is a season 6.

This is why some fans will never be happy with this adaptation. Nothing about this is practical. Making a good television show out of the ASoI&F series was never going to be about simply transcribing the books onto the screen as accurately and faithfully as possible.

They can reveal Ramsay as a sick fucker way before the Red Wedding for sure. What they can't do is reveal his connection to Roose Bolton - because then the audience will expect Roose to be a traitorous whoreson.

Personally, I think Ramsay revealing who he really is in episode 10 of Season 3 would be an epic (but horrifying) moment. It would really make the audience hate him even more, if possible, because they will fully realise his to connection Roose (and thus the RW). I think those watching the show very carefully would have worked this out earlier, but a reveal in episode 10 would probably surprise the vast majority of viewers.

They can reveal Ramsay as a sick fucker way before the Red Wedding for sure. What they can't do is reveal his connection to Roose Bolton - because then the audience will expect Roose to be a traitorous whoreson.

If the audience is paying attention they already know he is Bolton's bastard. And Roose can easily disavow his son's crimes like he does in the book pre-RW.

One change i would like is Roose to come in to the red wedding and give Robb a present, Theon Greyjoy and Robb confront each other and then Roose promising Robb, Theons head after the wedding is over and to have Theon in a cage watching the Red Wedding happen so while Robb gets struck we can have Theon on the edge of the cage screaming "I SHOULD DIE WITH HIM" the emotional aspect and mental torture would look great on TV.

I think in this season they'll show theons descent into madness and then after (as we've seen in the trailer) he tries to escape ramsay in the hunt, the show will show ramsay about to torture him then cut away with him screaming in immense pain, then we won't see him for the reast of season 3 and probably season 4 leaving non-book readers thinking he's dead but then as cliffhanger in the first epsidoe dealing with ADWD they'll reveal he's survived.

At least this is how I'd do his storyline.

Oh ! that is theon with the sack on his head ?! wow

I prefer horror that's revealing enough that the viewer knows what's happening but doesn't have to see it graphically. Let the imagination do the work, as that's basically exactly how it's revealed in the books. But getting your dick flayed is no ordinary horror so I'm quite sure they'll skip some of the more brutal details.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some of the most horrifically violent, stomach churning scenes in cinema/TV never actually show the violence, but are shot in such a way to imply it. Some examples

Scarface chainsaw scene - you never actually see the guy get killed. You just see his eyes grow wide, hear the roar of the chainsaw, and watch Pacino get splattered with blood.

Braveheart - You never actually see William Wallaces intestines get torn out or his head come off, but you know that's exactly what happened from the way the scene is shot.

Gladiator - Maximus' son and wife are tortured and crucified, but all that is shown are their legs and feet as Russel Crowe falls weeping to the ground.

Game of Thrones Season 2 - Joffrey hands Ros the mace to use on the other whore, points the crossbow, and barks out commands. You never really see the beating, but are disturbed just the same.

I hope to see the Theon/Ramsay scenes done in this manner vs. over-the-top Passion of the Christ/Hostel/SAW style violence.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some of the most horrifically violent, stomach churning scenes in cinema/TV never actually show the violence, but are shot in such a way to imply it. Some examples

Scarface chainsaw scene - you never actually see the guy get killed. You just see his eyes grow wide, hear the roar of the chainsaw, and watch Pacino get splattered with blood.

Braveheart - You never actually see William Wallaces intestines get torn out or his head come off, but you know that's exactly what happened from the way the scene is shot.

Gladiator - Maximus' son and wife are tortured and crucified, but all that is shown are their legs and feet as Russel Crowe falls weeping to the ground.

Game of Thrones Season 2 - Joffrey hands Ros the mace to use on the other whore, points the crossbow, and barks out commands. You never really see the beating, but are disturbed just the same.

I hope to see the Theon/Ramsay scenes done in this manner vs. over-the-top Passion of the Christ/Hostel/SAW style violence.

Those are all great examples :)

Based on Alfie Allen's acting I'm sure those scenes will come out great. He definitely has the range to make you horrified while also sympathize with him regardless of his past treachery.

One change i would like is Roose to come in to the red wedding and give Robb a present, Theon Greyjoy and Robb confront each other and then Roose promising Robb, Theons head after the wedding is over and to have Theon in a cage watching the Red Wedding happen so while Robb gets struck we can have Theon on the edge of the cage screaming "I SHOULD DIE WITH HIM" the emotional aspect and mental torture would look great on TV.

Why wouldn't Theon tell Robb and Cat about Bran and Rickon or Ramsey if he meets with them before Robb's death?

I think it would better if they just included a reaction shot of Theon laying in dungeon cell with Ramsey mocking him with the information of Robb's death and the Bolton betrayal.

I think this need some little adjustments, but that would be great. The last thing Robb sees being Theon, with a scornful face. I don´t think the cage would work out, it just doesn´t feel that a Stark would allow that.

Maybe some shots of Theon escaping from winterfell (episode 1, 2 or 3) and being captured as a cliffhanger of 4th or 5th would fill Theon´s arc this season, being interrogated in the 7th or 8th, and torturing shots in the last episode. Or, at least, that´s how I would do it.

I'm just curious as to what they're going to do with Theon during season 4, if season 3 is detailing his torture. Will he not appear in Season 4? I hope they dont have two whole seasons of him in the Dreadfort.

I would imagine they have thought far enough ahead that they'll have 2 arcs or one big arc over 2 seasons which are not repetitive and get to the end point we all expect.

As one poster said, I doubt he'll be in a lot of the epsiodes in Season 3. He'll still be a series regular though. Jamie was only in a couple of episodes of the second season and even then, briefly. What with how the casting call went for Ramsay (with the character named "Boy") it does seem that they will be doing some kind of reveal, because why else keep that character a secret when they released almost all the other major characters appearing. They never did Reek at Winterfell so they may do something similar with Ramsay pretending to be Reek, saying the Bastard is dead and then he reveals himself at some point. It does seem like they'd need to at least establish the whole Reek thing first, but who knows. I noticed they also didn't show Theon at all in any of the promos that showed characters (that "Choose Chaos" one in particular) so they could be keeping him hidden. There was a spoiler report from someone who was at the set the day of the Theon on the cross stuff took place. I'm excited for this season but I am dreading the torture scenes.

Archived