Arianne Martell - casting

gande51

After a great reflexion, I've come to the conclusion that we need Jessica Brown-Findlay in Game of Thrones. She'll make a great Arianne.

http://24.media.tumb...x3u4yo1_500.jpg

She's awesome in Downton Abbey, Black Mirror and Labyrinth. She's hot. She's British. She's a star in becoming. Playing Arianne could be an awesome way to gain the heart of many many fans, if Dorne is not neglected by the showrunners.

You have to agree with me.

This is her. Now that I've seen her I can't picture another Arianne.

she's one of my two Lyanna choices. It's a pity the show doesn't seem to do flashbacks.

Really? Because ot me she's actually far too "white" I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but Arianne's skin is definitely much darker than Lucy Griffiths skin. I remember her from True blood she's the literal definition of "lily white" lol. I can't believe that's honestly how someone would think that's how GRRM describes Arianne.

I'm saying she's too white. The Martells shouldn't really be white.

Well then maybe you should re-read the books beacuse GRRM's description of her would categorize her clearly as a salty dornishmen who have brown skin.....

http://awoiaf.wester...Arianne_Martell

http://awoiaf.wester....php/Dornishmen

Right, so I should re-read the entire series of books because I envision somebody different than you do. I remember George stating that people complained to him because Tyrion's eyes weren't miss matched in the show, wasn't you was it?

Right, so I should re-read the entire series of books because I envision somebody different than you do. I remember George stating that people complained to him because Tyrion's eyes weren't miss matched in the show, wasn't you was it?

Umm I think eyes are a little different than completely changing the skin/ethnicity of a main pov character don't you think? Probably would look pretty weird on the tv show if Tyrion had mis matched eyes....Oh and the way you "envision" Arianne isn't different, it's just simply flat out wrong. :P

Umm I think eyes are a little different than completely changing the skin/ethnicity of a main pov character don't you think? Probably would look pretty weird on the tv show if Tyrion had mis matched eyes....Oh and the way you "envision" Arianne isn't different, it's just simply flat out wrong. :P

Thanks George, why didn't you tell me it was you.

Hahah GRRM has laid it out pretty clearly in the books, but then again ppl believe what they want regardless of what the author is trying to tell them......

Don’t bother talking with some of these fanatics; apparently nothing is more important than getting some dark skinned Martells.

Don’t bother talking with some of these fanatics; apparently nothing is more important than getting some dark skinned Martells.

No more important than making sure Robb, Cat, and Sansa were lily white redheads on the show....

The audience for GOT is not that large (the size of the audience that watched the Cosby Show blows GOT out of the water). Yes, the budget is big, but the actual viewing audience is no were near as large as you seem to think. GOT gets a large budget not for the audience size as much as it is for Blu Ray sales and merchandising. Again, I didn't say you had to hire a bollywood actor, my point was that there are plenty of people in the US who do like Bollywood (heck, we have a On Demand movie station specifically for Bollywood movies - that wouldn't be on there if people didn't pay for it and watch it). Besides, you don't need to have a recognizable actor cast in the Dornish roles. The vast majority of the GOT actors were relative unknowns coming into the series. My basic point is that they won’t avoid casting a minority despite their target audience being white American’s.

Well if you had read the earlier argument you would know that what we were talking about were Bollywood actors not African-American actors, and comparing the Cosby show to GoT is ridiculous dude, but I'm guessing you couldn't find anything close to what GoT resembles hence my point is made. I don't want to hijack this thread so this is my last post here, I'm un-following it now.

P.S Welcome to the boards :cheers:

Well if you had read the earlier argument you would know that what we were talking about were Bollywood actors not African-American actors, and comparing the Cosby show to GoT is ridiculous dude, but I'm guessing you couldn't find anything close to what GoT resembles hence my point is made. I don't want to hijack this thread so this is my last post here, I'm un-following it now.

P.S Welcome to the boards :cheers:

My only point was that the show won't hesitate to hire minority actors for the cast. Did my point possibly get lost during this "debate", sure, it's possible. Be that as it may, I too don't want to continue to talk about this because ultimately it doesn't matter (and wasn't the purpose of this thread). Whatever they decide to do with the cast we will have no impact on their direction there for making this rather pointless to argue about. :)

Thanks!

No more important than making sure Robb, Cat, and Sansa were lily white redheads on the show....

But not Rickon and Bran. And not Shireen who's blonde, or Daario who's also blonde in the show. Not Xaro Xhoan Daxos or Salladhor Saan. I don't have a problem with any of these changes, or the ethnicity of characters. I just pick actors I'd like to see in the role.

But not Rickon and Bran. And not Shireen who's blonde, or Daario who's also blonde in the show. Not Xaro Xhoan Daxos or Salladhor Saan. I don't have a problem with any of these changes, or the ethnicity of characters. I just pick actors I'd like to see in the role.

Are Xaro Daxos or Salladhor Saan POV characters or characters that play a vital role in as a prominent member of a noble house of Westeros? I've said this before, changing Xaro Davo's or Salladhor's characters is a much different situation because they are characters that aren't from Westeros and have no other family or bloodline to fall back on in the books so changing their appearance/ethnicity in the tv series is pretty harmless when you talk about the grand scheme of things in the story. But Arianne is of House Martell who has a long history in Dorne and Westeros so D&D aren't going to completely change the appearance/ethnicity of a very important POV character and member of a prominant house in Westeros.

Once again changing minor things on POV characters/prominent members of noble houses in Wetseros like hair or eyes is livable, although it would obviously be nice to see them look exactly how they're described in the books those minor physical deviations are still livable. But did they change the ethnicity of any of the great houses Rickon, Bran, and Shireen belong to or change the ethnicty of any great house of Westeros in general for that matter? No didn't think so, and that's because it would be beyond foolish to flat out change the ethnicity of POV characters/prominent members of the great houses of Westeros from how they are described in the books. So sorry but I don't think D&D are going to change Arianne's ethnicty from clearly being one of non-white descent in the books, to being the opposite of that in the TV show, all for the sake of preserving a lily white cast in terms of characters that belong to noble houses of Westeros, because that's exactly what in would turn into in the show when it's clearly not that way in the books becuase of characters in Dorne like Arianne.

Some of the posts in this thread really raise my bile, the Martells aren't white, and they shouldn't be white-washed in the show.

:agree: I was beginning to think I had the wrong character when looking through some of these.

I think 'Olive skin' is like Egyptian skin tone?

You do realize there is a reason - a very important reason - why it is so important, right?

There seem to be some consent that the Martells has to be none-white, I would disagree with that. Arianna is described as olive skinned; this can mean a lot of different things. And the last time I checked the olive skinned people of Italy, Greece and Spain was still considered “white”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_skin

Furthermore from the stories of Dunk and Egg we learn of Daeron II who marries Myriah Martell, and they have 5 children who are all quite pale and golden haired, except of course Baelor Targaryen who got dark hair from his mother. So they can’t be that different.

So there is nothing to suggest that there would be something wrong with casting a Spanish or Italian person in the role of a Martell.

^

Some Spaniards and Italians can be quite dark though, even without the sun. Personally I think the Martell's would look North African but as long as they have a dark complexion like Spaniards like Ivana Baquero at the lightest and Egyptians Amr Waked at the darkest then I'll be happy.

Dark complexions don't have to mean not white but it doesn't have to mean white either and actresses like Jesssica Brown Findley are naturally to pale I think.

Dream casting would be Freida Pinto but she's carving out a good movie career and may not want to move into TV work for a small-ish role, but your never know. She's stunning and has the proven talent for the role. We'll probably end up with some ex-Hollyoaks actor.

Archived