"He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold..."

Stannis Eats No Peaches

These are the last words of Jon's final chapter in ADWD, as we all know. I have been thinking about this "cold." Many people, probably rightfully so, associate this with the feeling of cold that dying people get or it is just the feeling of him warging into Ghost. I too think that this is the most likely explanation.

However I don't think that I've ever seen someone say that it could be a sign of the Others showing up, considering that they either come when it's cold or they bring the cold.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this. Is it possible that the Others are attacking just as the lord commander of the Night's watch "dies"? That would be a serious kick in the teeth for the crows...in fact, is it possible that the Others have an inside man in the Watch? It's a bit of a stretch but still...

Thoughts?

That would be awesome if it's true. it's about damn time The Others show up.

I think there's going to be a lot more to happen before The Others make their grand appearance, though. So much with Jon, the Watch, the Wildlings, Stannis, Mel.... these stories seem to me like it have a way to go before it will be 'time' story-wise for The Others to appear. I would love it if they're right at the gates already, though. That would really be a way to kick the story into final gear and put a fierce, decisive end to the slight meandering AFFC & ADWD were prone to.

In all honesty, if I were to make a bet, I wouldn't peg the Others invasion until the end of WInds or even later. *shrug*

I have considered this as a possibility as well. In the chapter where Sam is fleeing the Fist of the First men with the remaining brothers he considers laying down to die and thinks something to the affect of, "They say you only feel warmth as you die"... This may not be relevant, but perhaps the fact that Jon feels cold instead of warmth is telling.

I am of the opinion from what Coldhands tells Sam The Others cannot cross while the Wall stands. It is supposed to be protected not only by it's size but magic as well.

True but the fact that it's cold doesn't mean that they have got past, they may just be waiting outside.

But yes this is probably the biggest flaw of the theory.

Yeah, I said as much in Heresy threads and in a thread about Ghost acting crazy in that chapter. The Others might be at the Wall. Tormund said that they were closing in on them before Jon let them through the Wall. Also, Tormund was anxious to get to the other side of the Wall before dark, so... it's a strong possibility the Others are there...

ETA: Here's the thread where I posted more on this.

Yeah, I said as much in Heresy threads and in a thread about Ghost acting crazy in that chapter. The Others might be at the Wall. Tormund said that they were closing in on them before Jon let them through the Wall. Also, Tormund was anxious to get to the other side of the Wall before dark, so... it's a strong possibility the Others are there...

ETA: Here's the thread where I posted more on this.

Ah thanks for that link. I always attributed Ghost's behaviour to Jon's impending stabbing.

Ah thanks for that link. I always attributed Ghost's behaviour to Jon's impending stabbing.

It may be that as well, of course. It's just how afraid Tormund was in the chapter before Jon's stabbing and how he wants to cross before nightfall... and the Others could cross the Wall on account of the Watch not being true, as Old Nan said...

I am of the opinion from what Coldhands tells Sam The Others cannot cross while the Wall stands. It is supposed to be protected not only by it's size but magic as well.

As long as the Wall stands and the brothers of the Night's Watch keep true.

Somehow, killing your LC doesn't sound like keeping true. The Wall's magic is failing. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

It was the first thing I noticed when I started a re-read. In the AGOT Prologue. Waymar Royce makes huge deal about the sudden feeling of cold just before the Others appear and attack.

I know its implied they can't pass the Wall, but lets not forget what attacked LC Mormont, and how Ghost acted just before.

As long as the Wall stands and the brothers of the Night's Watch keep true.

Somehow, killing your LC doesn't sound like keeping true. The Wall's magic is failing. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

I forgot that part. I retract my previous stement, everyone is F'ed.

here's a thought. remember ned stark saying "there must always be a stark in winterfell"? now there's another "the starks have manned the wall for thousands of years."

now we know dany has some certain magic with her dragon blood, making her somewhat immune to fire. what if there's some connection with starks being first man, so their magic somewhat connects with ice(wall)?

so basically we have no stark at the wall now, meaning wall is just wall, there's no more magic that can keep the others at bay, things might get messy.

Warning - crackpottery ahead:

I've always harbored a theory that Qyburn is behind the stabbing and the cold is a reference to his methods. Prior to the event, Qyburn tells Cersei that he will take care of ousting Jon as Lord Commander. We know that Qyburn deals in necromancy. When Jon gets stabbed, those who stab him seem not to be acting under their own power. The first person raises his hands as if to say "not me, it was not me", and B. Marsh was crying. Jon can't react, seemly under some sort of sorcery.

I believe that Qyburn has figured out the secret magic that the Others use in order to re-animate the wights, but he is able to use it on living beings in order to control them. Qyburn used some sort of sorcery to have the men of the Night's Watch kill Jon, and the cold that Jon feels is the by-product of this magic?

Archived