Comics VI: Sinister Six

Sci-2

Big loss of the whole Death of the Family arc? The sidekicks don't show up for dinner at the mansion. I'm not fucking kidding.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Also, the whole double dose of Joker gas being the cure is hilarious...and sad on Synder's part.

Thanks for the summary/review, as it was way funnier and better than reading the issue.

=-=-=

I'm having a bit of trouble finding it but there was a preview of some Avengers pages where New Adam says his name is "Blackveil".

Does this mean New Adam is the Night Mask - responsible for the consciousness shift that comes with the newuniversal system? That'd be interesting as I was expecting him to be the the Starbrand.

eta: Looks like I'm right?

That was a storm through the last thread. There wasn't a single mega-event or relaunch - so my predictions were way off.

Definitely seems like Batman Incorporated may be the place to see a dead member of the bat-family if your blood-lust is up. I still like how Morrison just carries on telling his Batman story irrespective of what everyone else is doing. Guess it's the same for action comics too.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Also, the whole double dose of Joker gas being the cure is hilarious...and sad on Synder's part.

Well he wasn't cured per se, Batman still had to treat him, but after being gassed twice there really shouldn't be a thought process in his head that makes him stop Nightwing and Damian from stabbing each other.

But, Batman does say that he believes in them and Batman is always right so they beat a poison that turns you homicidal with the power of belief and family.

And at the and they still abandon Batman.

Not that he doesn't deserve it. He did reveal his identity to the Joker. Except they don't know that. Joker told thema BS story that Batman gave him notes, plans and details on how to kill them. For some fucking reason.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding it but there was a preview of some Avengers pages where New Adam says his name is "Blackveil".

That already happened in issue #5. That scene was weird to me cause if you look at that quirky font Hickman uses for hs language the letter L has two different symbols. Maybe an error. Kind of like how the Infinity gems are the wrong color at one point in New Avengers.

Does this mean New Adam is the Night Mask - responsible for the consciousness shift that comes with the newuniversal system? That'd be interesting as I was expecting him to be the the Starbrand.

eta: Looks like I'm right?

I think that Starbrand is that frozen guy that AIM found in Norway.

Definitely seems like Batman Incorporated may be the place to see a dead member of the bat-family if your blood-lust is up. I still like how Morrison just carries on telling his Batman story irrespective of what everyone else is doing.

And thank god for that.

Guess it's the same for action comics too.

After reading those 7 interviews it seems he was careful to match his stuff with what comes later. Like incorporating Jim Lee's suit. It's just that the editor didn't bother to tell other people what he was doing.

This is a comics thread in general right? Was just wondering if y'all have heard of DC's latest signing.

Among those contributing are ComicsAlliance favorites Jeff Parker (Bucko, Red She-Hulk) and Chris Samnee (Daredevil, The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom), who will collaborate on a story about Superman's first encounter with Lex Luthor. But before that, Adventures of Superman begins with a two-part story written by popular novelist Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) and drawn by the great Chris Sprouse and Karl Story.

This is a comics thread in general right? Was just wondering if y'all have heard of DC's latest signing.

Yeah. It's amazing. It is weird that people are up in arms NOW. He was writing Ultimate Iron Man a few years back and I don't recall an outrage. Maybe on scans_daily, but that is a virtual police state if there ever was one.

Maybe, this is Superman so it's more high profile (than again it's digital so no one will read it).

Like I said he's only for two chapters.

And like I said at the end of the last thread: IGN.

Nertz!

Hell, even if I liked the book I wouldn't say it was THAT good.

Quite a clever bit of marketing by DC to be honest. Tons of free publicity and I hate to say that a lot of comic fans might not be too concerned especially given the rest of the talent involved. Hell, some people may even see it as a collectible. They should bring out a homophobic variant or ironic cover of Superman making out with Batman.

Either way it's probably still a gain for DC as anthologies invariably fail so having OSC on board will boost numbers even if it's not because people want to read his work, It might be wise to take his stories out of the trade though.

I think if people hate OSC they should buy it, tear out the pages by him and put a picture of the torn pages up. Only if you are interested in the work of the other creators though.

They should have tricked OSC into writing an Apollo and Midnighter story :)

I actually think the effect on sales will be minimal in either direction. I mean, yeah, you could say you'll never buy DC again but then you're just hurting people who needs comics to eat. Seeing as Ender's Game continues to sell like gangbusters it isn't going to hurt OSC.

On the other hand, the number of people who will care that OSC wrote a Superman story is also not very large. I don't think books beyond Ender's Game are huge sellers and the truth is OSC had one good book.

Quite a clever bit of marketing by DC to be honest.

Come now. DC does not have a marketing department.

Either way it's probably still a gain for DC as anthologies invariably fail so having OSC on board will boost numbers even if it's not because people want to read his work, It might be wise to take his stories out of the trade though.

There is a Batman equivalent of this. Of course we don't have sale figures on this, cause apparently digital sales must be kept a secret. It also has it's share of talented people: Lindelof, Oeming, Fialkov and Lemire. Lemire is everywhere. He might even be typing this post for me.

I think if people hate OSC they should buy it, tear out the pages by him and put a picture of the torn pages up. Only if you are interested in the work of the other creators though.

This is digital first. Then they collect 3 or 4 chapters into a monthly book later on.

They do the same for Smallville and Arrow books.

Yeah. It's amazing. It is weird that people are up in arms NOW. He was writing Ultimate Iron Man a few years back and I don't recall an outrage. Maybe on scans_daily, but that is a virtual police state if there ever was one.

Maybe, this is Superman so it's more high profile (than again it's digital so no one will read it).

Like I said he's only for two chapters.

And who reads Ultimate Iron Man? Anyway, that was when? 2006? Internet didn't have the strength it has today in mobilizing public opinion, but I wonder how big the campaign will be against the movie adaptation of Ender's Game.

You just have to love how DC seems to make the worst PR decisions as far as hiring and firing people go...

Well, guys [spoilers for Uncanny]...

Magneto is the traitor.

Because Cyclops is, I quote: "a murdering monster".

Amen; nothing else would make sense after AvX. Makes me love the traitor even more, really. :love:

Of course, we still have to wait and see how exactly that will happen and how long until it's retconed or something.

And who reads Ultimate Iron Man? Anyway, that was when? 2006?

He did a sequel in 2008. Sure tumblr wasn't a thing back then, but it's not like it was the 90's. You could still stir stuff in the 21st century. There were petitions back then. Usually for Peter Jacksn to assume control of every franchise there is, but still.

Internet didn't have the strength it has today in mobilizing public opinion, but I wonder how big the campaign will be against the movie adaptation of Ender's Game.

You just have to love how DC seems to make the worst PR decisions as far as hiring and firing people go...

I don't think the campaign against the movie will do much good. Just like nothing will come of this thing about Superman.

Card isn't really a household name so I don't expect trailers to even mention him. Plus, he won't be promoting the movie, and Jay Leno isn't the hard hitting journalist that's gonna grill Harrison Ford about it.

Fox News probably agrees with Card.

Amen; nothing else would make sense after AvX. Makes me love the traitor even more, really. :love:

Of course, we still have to wait and see how exactly that will happen and how long until it's retconed or something.

It doesn't really make sense. Why break him out of prison, if now 4 days later you want him back in there? He suddenly remembered that Cyclops killed Xavier? He should sent him a message to "rot in there" and be done with it. This just looks like the usual Bendis doesn't read shit and twists stuff so he can tell the tale he wants thing.

He did a sequel in 2008. Sure tumblr wasn't a thing back then, but it's not like it was the 90's. You could still stir stuff in the 21st century. There were petitions back then. Usually for Peter Jacksn to assume control of every franchise there is, but still.

Ah, those were the days... But Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter are certainly more effective in mobilizing people than Livejournal or Myspace could ever be.

It doesn't really make sense. Why break him out of prison, if now 4 days later you want him back in there? He suddenly remembered that Cyclops killed Xavier? He should sent him a message to "rot in there" and be done with it. This just looks like the usual Bendis doesn't read shit and twists stuff so he can tell the tale he wants thing.

I agree with that part, as the recent failed joke about Iceman touching Unus just proved. But, honestly,

Magneto makes more sense than the other options. Magik? The one who seems to have only gotten more powerful after the whole AvX mess? Emma would have a reason, since she was stabbed in the back in a grotesque way by Cyclops (not that she wouldn't have done the same, given the opportunity, but it doesn't change the fact that he did it), but it's been established her being a teacher is usually above all the rest, and since she can't teach a the only other mutant school in the world and it's not the best time to create her own, why would she be the traitor?

Magneto, on the other hand, only joined the X-Men in Utopia because, under those conditions, he knew Cyclops was the most fit for the leadership position and that those less than 200 mutants had to stick together. Now, though, with all those new mutants popping up everywhere, he can just return to his old ways again - and, well, what was the longest he stayed with the X-Men, of all the times he joined them? Five years in our time, maybe? He last joined in 2009 (?), so... Of course, there's the small detail of having his powers, the very thing that has defined him for most of his life, messed up, and I'm inclined to believe that may not have been a thing when they wrote Consequences (I mean, would he truly be able to use small pieces of metal to form words with such precision if his powers were like they're now?)

It really was the only choice for the traitor, but that just makes it all the more pathetic.

What's even sadder is how much navel gazing everyone [who fought for Xavier] seems to be doing. I feel like the X-men did more work to help mutants when there were only 198 left. Now there are mutants across the world and all we see is internal drama.

To Millar's credit he talked about OSC's Ultimate Iron Man and said the main reason he did a few more issues was to pretty much undo the bullshit card had established. This must have been an earlier Mark as now he would do a newsrama interview saying how he is the Malcom X of gay rights and that OSC is the world's biggest Dick. And probably write a comic screenplay for it.

Honestly, I don't think I'll even bother with uncanny now. I can't stand how fleeting developments are at Marvel - especially when the so called "architects" don't know or, more likely, don't care about things that occurred 3 months ago. I'm somewhat torn as I'd like to be on board the X-men franchise again but Bendis really isn't the person to bring me here. I can cross my fingers and hope that Brian Wood is allowed some freedom on his book. I shouldn't be too grumpy as I'm enjoying Avengers more than I ever have (although Busiek was fun in the mid nineties but Hickman suits my modern tastes more)

I'm more annoyed that DC might be poaching Jeff Parker and Chris Samnee.

Well, just like in Card's case, it's only for 20 pages. And Samnee proved to be fast enough to do that and not miss a beat on Daredevil. He did a whole Rocketeer mini last year while doing DD.

Well

I figured it out when Marvel released scans of Magneto talking to SHIELD.

And, of course, Magneto calling Cyclops a murderer is like Wolverine complaining about someone drinking too much.

Yeah, who could that be? With half his face in the shadow. It's a dude so it's not Emma or Magik or that girl from Australia. He's white, so He's not that... Resurrecto dude. He's not wearing red glasses so it's not Cyclops. I think they shaved his head just to throw people off for 19 pages.

Well it could be that mimicking guy as part of some weird bluff.

Archived