Comics VI: Sinister Six

Sci-2

That dude that Jeph Loeb created as Wolverine's ultimate bad guy, His own retcon wasn't enough it needs to be erased along with that multi-clawed freak.

Romulus? Yeah that guy'll be erased.

I actually don't think they'll change too much - As you point out Marvel Now is still rather young. For all the drama in the claim that Hickman's Avengers will work with "whoever is left", it's pretty clear to me no one currently on the team is going to be killed.

The books most likely to be impacted are Bendis's. Which is great, seeing as previews for Avengers #6 and Thor GoT #5 show much better stories that should be left undisturbed.

eta: misnumbered comics

Beast was always that ugly frankenchimp thing we have now.

Bendis likes the classic, pre-Morrison Beast, so, if there's any retcon there my bet would be on that one.

But I doubt they'll come that close to a reboot; it's more likely they'll just adapt a few things to fit better with movieverse, since they aren't selling as badly as DC was when they did theirs.

This is just too funny. Snyder interview on Batman and what's next

"So I can promise you that the one coming up is definitely, in my opinion, our most ambitious and definitely our boldest. And it's going to go into areas that I've been a little reluctant to go toward. But I really feel like it's time. And that the story we have is going to earn, hopefully, people's trust in that regard."

"Joker is saying that Bruce Wayne is a mask."

This is what always bugged me, ever since I read my first Snyder interview. This simplified crap that everyone who likes Batman already knows, but Snyder feels he needs to spell it out for the idiots. "Gotham is a living assholish creature, Batman is the real persona, Joker is a court jester and loves Batman and knows who he is." and all the other cheap fan psychological analyses and philosophies about the character rolled into one big heavy rock thrown straight into my face.

And you have to read it in interviews and then see the characters practically quote Snyder in the book itself in a series of endless monologues and then read it again in follow-up interviews.

We get it. Joker is a Batman fan that wants his precious status quo back. He's a homicidal Alex Ross.

Ah, pretentious and at the same time subtle as a hammer. Can't wait for that Superman book.

At this point I feel like I could've written a book about how one-dimensional Snyder's Batman is. I should get a new hobby. Then again my next post about this is going to be my boldest and most ambitious one yet.

Goddammit Hickman is good, right? Restores my faith in corporate comics.

I totally forgot that Spock is gonna be in the Avengers till Sunspot said that his new costume sucks.

At this point I feel like I could've written a book about how one-dimensional Snyder's Batman is. I should get a new hobby. Then again my next post about this is going to be my boldest and most ambitious one yet.

Priceless :)

Funny thing in the new interview is that he realises that Batman maybe isn't just Batman or at least Batman has human feelings. I only buy the mask thing in terms of "Billionairre playboy without a care". So it seems Snyder is up to scratch with things now.

Apparently the next greatest story ever involves the Riddler. So I'm sure he'll become the god of riddles. Maybe we won't get any real resolution there either because it will be the ultimate riddle. Synder is earnest I'll give him that.

It was funny in the interview how he acknowledges that people think Morrison just lives in his own comics bubble. But it really seems poor Damien is done for (until he is resurrected by editorial once Morrison has left the DC to do movies creator-owned comics at image.

It's sad when the book I've been enjoying the most out of the Marvel Now! launch is the one I complained loudest about: Namely Avengers Arena. I think Hopeless has sort of struggled getting established characters voices correct -- Chase in this last issue only feels like Chase superficially, in that he talks about not being a 'good person' and in the way he relates to Nico-- but if I didn't know these characters from elsewhere I don't think I'd have a problem with the way they were being characterized now; Certainly I've been enjoying his original characters like Deathlockette so far.

But what I'm truly starting to appreciate about this book is that it's just about the only title I'm reading from Marvel these days that I don't feel is being completely spoiled by all the solicits, publisher hype, interviews and previews. I'm kind of resentful of the fact that Marvel told me there was a traitor on the new Uncanny X-Men team, because it took very little brainstorming on my part to figure out who that would be. In contrast, I didn't see the ending of AA #4 coming at all. Not that it was a huge, shocking event or that it was a brilliant unforeseeable move on Hopeless' part, it's just refreshing not to know everything about an issue before you even read it.

I'm also starting to come around to the idea of culling the herd when it comes to character deaths. Seriously, if these characters --particularly the Avengers Academy students-- weren't in this title right now I think they'd be destined for obscurity much like The Young Allies or The Order or any other number of 'new team' books that have launched and failed at Marvel in the last few decades. At least by killing off some of the characters it sort of makes the ones who remain feel a bit more relevant and in some cases

like Hazmat now that her lover Mettle is dead

more interesting.

I think Marvel could benefit from having one huge blood-bath of an event where they wipe-out 90% of their forgotten D-list characters while making the survivors from that culling more relevant to the universe as a whole. (I'm only half joking here).

Did anyone saw the Hawkeye solicit? Holy crap, this is going to be awesome! A Pizza Dog-centric issue, with his own POV!

Let's hope this does not give GRRM ideas, though.

I don't [think] I praise Hawkeye enough, and it's a book this board got me into. The one about Sandy was awesome.

"Jersey Rules!"

I think Marvel could benefit from having one huge blood-bath of an event where they wipe-out 90% of their forgotten D-list characters while making the survivors from that culling more relevant to the universe as a whole. (I'm only half joking here).

"no more D-list characters"

They wouldn't even bother giving us a decent story out of it.

I agree with the sentiment and think that was one of the things that initially got me interested in the Ultimate universe. The problem with Marvel is that it's all about the intellectual property and they fear that even the lamest character might turn into a movie or t-shirt at some point. Not sure why the character has to remain alive though - maybe some legal thing of going back to the creators if not used?

I should have a look at AA. It seems self-contained too and unlikely to get caught up in AoU

Damn just found out Saga is delayed by a week in the UK due to some bad weather in the US. I should try and skip the store next week and get some graphic novels read

Not sure why the character has to remain alive though - maybe some legal thing of going back to the creators if not used?

Well, if the character ends up in a movie or cartoon and gains popularity, it'll come be annoying to have to stage a resurrection.

I have a distaste for the premise of AA - this idea of killing characters rather than developing them seems like taking the easy way out.

Also, in addition to Saga there's also Thor GoT. We'll let you know if Avengers #6 is worth it. :-)

I agree with the sentiment and think that was one of the things that initially got me interested in the Ultimate universe. The problem with Marvel is that it's all about the intellectual property and they fear that even the lamest character might turn into a movie or t-shirt at some point. Not sure why the character has to remain alive though - maybe some legal thing of going back to the creators if not used?

I think for the most part it's true what you say, but I'm talking about characters Marvel even forgets it owns; The Order being the perfect example -- I totally had to Google search for the name of that team as all I remembered about them were that they were California's Initiative team post-Civil War and Marvel was hyping up the girl with the hammer like she was going to be this huge break-out character. And that was only what, 6, 7 years ago? What about all the teams that slipped through the cracks even earlier then that? I'm talking below Skrull Kill Krew levels of obscurity here -- kill 'em off :P

I should have a look at AA. It seems self-contained too and unlikely to get caught up in AoU

I don't want to trump it up to be much better than it is. I'm just starting to appreciate the idea of a superhero comic from the big 2 where the stakes are as high as their big publicized events, but at the same time self-contained.

I have a distaste for the premise of AA - this idea of killing characters rather than developing them seems like taking the easy way out.

I have/had a similar distaste for the premise, but while I agree that it initially it seems gimmicky and meant to attract sales, I think theses characters are getting character development, it's just character development with the attached threat of death being the ultimate outcome. In a way, how is that any different then what you get in The Walking Dead or Morning Glories, or even ASOIAF? I have my favourite characters from those books as well --and they're my favourites because of characterization-- but I know they'll end up dead if it serves the purposes of the story.

To be honest, my biggest concern about the book is that there's some loophole that will see all these characters killed-off in AA back once the series wraps up. like it's all a simulation or something.

Oh btw,

loved Wolverine and the X-Men #25 --so much seemed packed into one issue-- hated Uncanny X-Men #1 --nothing seemed to happen. Anyone want to swap download codes? :P

Well, if the character ends up in a movie or cartoon and gains popularity, it'll come be annoying to have to stage a resurrection.

Also, in addition to Saga there's also Thor GoT. We'll let you know if Avengers #6 is worth it. :-)

I guess I'm too used to the UK getting US comics on the same day. It used to be a few days behind but the change occurred a few years back.

I don't mind the killing of characters if it serves a purpose - same goes for their resurrections.

Speaking of which rumour is Wolverine is killed off as the big thing in 2014. How could marvel possibly survive? there'd be a gap in the rosters of 60% of their titles. I hope Cyclops gets to kill him.

Oh and the next thing of hype for uncanny is that one of the original 5 join that team. I'm hoping it's Beast,

Oh and the next thing of hype for uncanny is that one of the original 5 join that team. I'm hoping it's Beast,

I'm hoping it's Jean. That would devastate Wolverine and he would die of sorrow. No healing factor can heal the broken heart.

I am a master of plotting.

I'm hoping it's Jean. That would devastate Wolverine and he would die of sorrow. No healing factor can heal the broken heart.

I am a master of plotting.

Thought you were saving your good stuff for the next Snyder review. ;-)

Speaking of which rumour is Wolverine is killed off as the big thing in 2014. How could marvel possibly survive? there'd be a gap in the rosters of 60% of their titles. I hope Cyclops gets to kill him.

We all know that wouldn't last long if it did happen. And if it was Cyclops who killed him, goodbye any chance Marvel has of flipping the character from his current heel status (Unless of course it's Wolvie who turns evil and Cyke has to take him down).

Seems to me like they're setting Jean up to be the one who switches sides -- her isolation, flirtation with QQ, all that stuff. Though young Beast would be more poetic.

Lets face it, no one really cares if it's Angel or Iceman :P

Actually in terms of votes [on CBR] it was about 60/40 for Cyke being a hero instead of a villain. Which is why it annoys me how Bendis's solution is to just add more and more flaws to the Phoenix Five until people change their minds.

Makes me miss GM's Emma:

"Why are you such a bitch Emma?"

"Breeding darling. Top class breeding."

Actually in terms of votes [on CBR] it was about 60/40 for Cyke being a hero instead of a villain. Which is why it annoys me how Bendis's solution is to just add more and more flaws to the Phoenix Five until people change their minds.

I'm all for Cyke's current revolutionary status --even if I didn't particularly care for Uncanny X-Men #1 -- I'm just saying there's only so far they can take Cyke down the path of moral greyness before he becomes irredeemable (at least without a retcon). Killing Wolverine --the most beloved character Marvel has-- would certainly attract a lot more fanboy wrath than killing Professor X.

Well, if we can trust this, Wolverine's death will be the result of some wibbly wobbly timey wimey hing, not necessarily any particular character's doing. And Cyclops killing him would be something so completely expected that, the way Marvel goes these days, I really don't see that happening. Personally, I'd say the possibility that time traveling and whatever happens during that might lead to his healing factor ceasing to exist and the adamantium poisoning killing him is much more attractive. I mean, might Wolverine dying from something so relatively simple? It would be as gratifying, in a way, as Mar-Vell dying from cancer.

Tbh, though, it seems that while Wolverine is dead they might bring Daken back to fill his place, judging from many recent interviews with the big guys on Marvel. If that's the case, I'd rather they kept Logan than possibly start a redemption saga for his kid - Daken is even more unbearable than Legion, after all.

I'm all for Cyke's current revolutionary status --even if I didn't particularly care for Uncanny X-Men #1 -- I'm just saying there's only so far they can take Cyke down the path of moral greyness before he becomes irredeemable (at least without a retcon). Killing Wolverine --the most beloved character Marvel has-- would certainly attract a lot more fanboy wrath than ki

lling Professor X

Oh I would love for wolverine to be killed but only while his hypocrisy is clearly exposed.

I was definitely thinking it would be more poetic Cyclops being the man to take him down. Maybe if Wolverine was becoming a feral monster and was begging everyone to end him and the only guy who would do it is Cyclops in a "So it's ok for me to kill when it suits you" kind of way.

Wolverine dying is most likely to be some super emo event. Probably along the lines of no-one can kill Logan other than himself and he does so to save the world Galaxy. Seems really odd to kill him after the Wolverine and First class film. Maybe he's going to die in first class 2 as well?

Rather than Logen being replaced by Daken (such a crap character) they are more likely to replace him with the Dog character currently popping up. The best replacement though would be X-23. I wouldn't mind her taking over his titles during her absence and I think she'd be happy to take the codename.

Archived