The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

Considering Luke Scull had this to say in the pre-release interview he linked pages ago:

Well, here is the vote:

http://www.gemmellaward.com/page/morningstar-1

(as well as Mark Lawrence nominated in the other category)

Yeah, I screwed up there. Apparently Morningstar winners only get a chunk of glass. It's not as clean as an axe, but it'll serve...

I got about halfway through this book I thought, and I really didn't like it. I could see why people did like it, but I just filed it away on my kindle under my finished folder and moved on. Then I came back to this thread and read the author's comments and thought to myself--hell, might as well finish it. I went into my finished folder and tried to open it and saw I'd been reading the Black Company, not the Grim Company. This whole time I was reading it I was thinking of this thread. That's embarrassing. So I bought this book on my kindle last night and so far like it infinitely better.

I would say it is much different from the Black Company aside from the name, and the Black Company reminds me too much of another fantasy author I could not get into--Erikson.

Anyway I'll post back with more thoughts, I meant to read a chapter last night but got sucked into three, so I'm pretty excited.

Would also like to add it does have a video gamey feel to it in the way the characters are introduced. I really like this aspect. I loved the Witcher but haven't tried Neverwinter. And again, my embarrassment comes back as I remember reading the Black Company searching for hints of Geralt in the medic narrator.

• 2 weeks later...

The March 2015 release date is Amazon guesswork. Depending on how the final writing push goes (i.e. whether I can finish in the next 2-3 weeks), there's still a chance Sword of the North will release this year (at least in the UK).

That's brave to say it could be sooner. A relief to know March 2015 isn't set in stone though.

Just bought the The Grim Company off of amazon (us) for 7.99. One, I'm finishing HoC of the malazan series and just need a little break. But, its real refreshing to see Mr. Scull come on the boards and seriously take other opinions to heart. I'm not a writer or even close, just enjoy the adventures. But, from the reviews and what people have said on here, I think it'll be worth the time. I will post in a month or two, and give my thoughts on it.

ETA: everyone knows of bakker's shenanigans...,.. Huh, that man really put said foot in mouth. But, alas, I really loved both TPON and TAE. I think coming from his academic studies (psychology), I think he might think he's a little smarter than others. I just find it hilarious, that his antics get brought up on almost any threads in the Lit forum. Cracks me up!

Also, how many authors add the opinions and insight on these threads? I've seen bakker, scull, abercrombie...if this just ain't fake profiles I find it wonderful for them to relate to us readers. Shows that most are down to earth human beings. Its really refreshing! Please, continue summoning the great minds. I love their comment and insights. Expect maybe bakker turned me off a little. That man I believe thinks he is smarter than his own good. Alas,really looking forward to The Grim Company. (scull, I love the name of the book.) Funny, I'm from West Virginia, USA and if I told my friends they would laugh at the stories I delve into. Around here its Budweiser, bongs, fishing and killing the occasional deer or ten. Not many intellectuals where I'm from. So sorry if my grammer isn't the greatest. Most of us just worry bout beer and slaughtering animals. So I come her to get more educated opinions on these subjects. Thanks to all and sorry for the rambling!

Also 'grimdark' fantasies seem to be the way the fantasy books are moving to. IMO, I'll take that everytime over the usual fantasy genre cliches. I'm hoping I'm in for a great ride Luke Scull. I'm no reviewer, but I'll give a honest opinion on the books after I'm done with it. Second, I was going to take up Abercrombie after finishing HoC. But, I wanna read TGC, without thinking how I can relate it Abercronbie's books. I've read the Amazon chapter tonight and almost decided on stopping HoC and starting TGC. But, I can't read like that, once I've started I have to finish. Any boo, I'm glad to of come across this thread. My mind is piqued or as my friend Sci say peaked. Lol!

• 2 months later...

From a new interview:

I finished the first draft of the second book, Sword of the North, last month after a period of my life which was professionally fantastic but personally rather trying. I'm currently revising the text and adding around 20,000 extra words in line with my editors' suggestions. I reluctantly cut a significant amount from the book to make my latest deadline – but we all concluded that the ending absolutely has be restored to its original glory, and that's fine with me! I think the release date is penciled in for March 2015.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's out now in the UK on kindle at least. Supposed to be out in December. For some reason i thought it wasn't out until 2015.

That post above says it was scheduled for March 2015. That was the last I'd heard of it. :dunno:

Sorry, folks. It was listed in my "new for you" section. I couldn't see any "available" info but just noticed that it is indeed only pre-order.

I thought it seemed too good to be true when I noticed it this morning. Sorry for wasting your time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a few chapters into Sword of the North.I don't recall if they were mentioned in book #1,but, who are the Fade ?

They were mentioned, though I can't remember exactly when and where (although we know Isaac is one).

They're basically hardcore elves, from what we know so far. An immortal race that disappeared from the lands we know millennia ago, but now are apparently planning to come back and wipe out humanity for being a bit shit.

Archived