The Daylight War - Spoilers!

Cause

The book isn't terrible or anything (except for Leesha, who really has turned into an embarrassment of a character, which is somewhat surprising given her start). That said, it isn't particularly memorable either. I'd probably classify the whole series as generally entertaining with some nice ideas but nothing too special or unique about it, unless you want to include the fact that it has one of the true train-wrecks of a character in fantasy literature.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe how this series fell in quality. First book was entertaining and, although not quite original, it was interesting and suspenseful enough to keep you reading deep into night. Ad to that the familiar medieval setting and epic feel and it ended up as one of years' best debuts.

Having different POV seeing same events in the second book was OK, although the whole issue was a bit overe-extended.

Now, 100 pages into book 3, I cannot believe how boring this story became. I am rarely dropping books, but this one is on the verge of being not dropped, but burnt. Absolute disappointment.

Sorry, marriage is not a plot development, unless it has actual ramifications. To be honest, it is on par with some types of world building - fleshes out the story but really gives nothing in the way of actual importance.

I have to say that marriage is in no way world building, it is either plot development or character development.

In this case it marks character development. In this case it shows that Arlen has finally come to fully respect Renna, as well as crossing a bridge in his self-loathing, seeing his own humanity, and showing his willingness to live and fight the pull of the core. It is a commitment he has made, to all of these things.

In addition, in this case it also colours the plot, meaning that you have to see the finale murder-suicide in a different light. No wedding, then you have no choice but to look at Arlen and assume that he still firmly believes he doesnt deserve to live

Two issues with these books by Peter Brett reduce my enjoyment as a reader / listener.

The first is the use of written dialect, as has been mentioned several times up-thread. Reading dialect on the written page is excrutiating no matter who does it, and when listening to an audio book, it often results in the reader treating the characters as half-wits. Either way, it is tedious and awkward.

The second area of reduced enjoyment is the whole Caliphate / Krasian world, in which I have less and less interest as the series moves along. Arlen and the Hollow are interesting, the Core and the magic and warding are interesting, and the choices that the various characters in Thesa make are interesting.

But I grow weary of the Krasia / Caliphate world. I get it that the Muslims / Sharum are very butch but actually controlled in secret by a matriarchy, and that the Jews / Kaffit pay a price to avoid honorable battle and focus on commerce. But I can't work up a lot of enthusiasm to hear more about their culture or conflicts, unfortunately.

I don't know why this is, since I have enjoyed cultural conflicts in fantasy books since Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist brought out Daughter of the Empire, but this one just fails to grip me. Perhaps it is because the illogical conflicts of the real-life Middle East are so pointless and wearisome that cause a fracture in my suspension of disbelief when reading these books.

I enjoy the Demon Cycle and the Daylight War was a quick and fun read. Don't think we've seen the last of Jardir. I get the feeling Brett doesn't like killing off his characters.

THe thing that really bothers me is the accents. TO be fair that's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Same here. I can't stand Arlen and Renna's dialogues.

The dialect was absolutely fine.

My problems with the third book stemmed from it being utterly shit. But the dialogue never bothered me.

I wasn't sure about starting Another Unfinished series (my shelves are full of those already) and thus only followed the reviews and discussions about these books. Looks like I'll definitely wait for the closure to see if the third one is only lagging middle or the start of a downhill slope.

Re. dialect. As non-native English reader, I have problems with American dialects (UK ones less so), so the entire series needs to shape up in the next books for me to tackle that.

• 2 months later...

Just finished The Daylight War, I just hated all the flashback in this book. The ending though was worth the ride, but the cliffhanger on the cliff scene (lol) was brutal, I can't wait for the next book.

• 1 year later...

http://www.petervbrett.com/2014/08/05/skull-throne-update/

So as noted on the twitterface, I finished the first draft of the 4th book in the Demon Cycle, The Skull Throne late Sunday night.

A week AHEAD of schedule.

Unheard of, I know.

Skull Throne first draft stats: 16 months writing, 226, 318 words, 833 pages, 5148 average words per week.

And theyre good words. I know I say this about every book, but I am really proud of how this one came out. No doubt there will be changes to strengthen this or cut that in the second draft, but I think I got this one in an arm-bar.

This one would have to get some pretty amazing reviews for me to even touch it considering the pile of shit that was book three.

The Daylight War got several amazing reviews. Author Mark Lawrence gave it five stars in Goodreads. So why would positive reviews of The Skull Throne have any effect on you?

Having seen out half the ride, I'm half-tempted to see if he can start bringing the story together for a decent ending (it would seem unlikely). On the other hand, Books 2 and 3 were colossal let-downs after the promising Book 1, so I'm not too bothered.

What Darth and Wert said. I'm not optimistic given that the fourth book is currently over 800 pages. Granted, it's only a first draft so it'll come down a little, but it's still 200 pages longer than Daylight War and that book was a slog.

Archived