Books that aren't easily adaptable and how they could be made.

The Snowman

I feel like it's much better to adapt things into animation, where you can introduce peoples thoughts easily, and control their looks and aging to keep truer to the story. But you also have to have the right type of animation. Can't throw everything into anime and call it a day, somethings need to be drawn in more detail, and somethings need a different brightness to the coloring sometimes. Somethings would work with 3-d animation, though I prefer 2-d done well over a 3-d done well. Mainly it has to have really good voice actors, and fantastic editors.

I'm not against animation. There are some great mature animated shows with good stories... Yu Yu Hakusho, Avatar, FMA etc.

The big one for me would be the Bartimaeus Quadrilogy by Jonathan Stroud. This series had me totally encompassed and after reading the original trilogy (a prequel was made 2-3 years later)

That could make a great film trilogy; you've got Mandrake's training at the beginning to explain how the universe works, plenty of visual spectacle, and no major plot points I can think of that would be especially tricky to depict on-screen. Bartimaeus would happily talk to himself when he doesn't have an audience, and you could put his reports back to his master over visuals of what really happened to demonstrate his tendency to exaggerate his prowess. Obviously it could turn out badly if the people making it were incompetent, but with a talented team who appreciate the source material and have the budget to realise their vision, no problem.

The prequel is fun but pointless.

Ok. Chuck Kinder's Honeymooners. Difficult but doable. The dinosaur model would be an awesome opener and any film student's wet dream. The subtleties of relationships could be done. I'd go with the guy that did Wonderboys , name escapes me but I think he could handle it. The main character in the book is Grady Trip's real life inspiration in Wonderboys. And the other guy is Raymond Carver. Tough to do but doable.

Hmm... to seriously answer the question, I think WOT is pretty much unfilmable for several reasons:

1. Extreme length

2. Extreme complexity of plot and subplots

3. Extreme number of characters, many of whom cannot be cut due to #2

4. Extreme amounts of magical effects that somebody would have to pay for.

So basically you'd have to do a series due to the length, but at the same time the main plot moves so slowly and the subplots are so numerous that it'd lose focus. Plus the amount of characters, various locations, and large number of magical effects that would be needed would make it enormously expensive.

The only way it could be done would be by trimming huge amounts of material, at which point it's no longer the source material. YMMV as to whether this is a net positive or negative :)

Archived