Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

Ok, this one is a little (quite) silly, but maybe it could be a hint of Arya/Gendry?

Robert to Ned, book 1:

(...) If Lyanna had lived, we should have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection. Well, it is not too late. I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done.

Maybe Robert and Lyanna just wasn't meant to be. Ever. It is hinted that she didn't feel the same way he did, so he might not know how slim his chances were. Maybe, to Lyanna, "might" was actually "over my dead body, Father" or something, Zero chance, sort of like Sansa and Joff, who wasn't his real son anyway. But he does have a son, and Ned has another daughter, so who knows...

Ok, this one is a little (quite) silly, but maybe it could be a hint of Arya/Gendry?

Robert to Ned, book 1:

(...) If Lyanna had lived, we should have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection. Well, it is not too late. I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done.

Maybe Robert and Lyanna just wasn't meant to be. Ever. It is hinted that she didn't feel the same way he did, so he might not know how slim his chances were. Maybe, to Lyanna, "might" was actually "over my dead body, Father" or something, Zero chance, sort of like Sansa and Joff, who wasn't his real son anyway. But he does have a son, and Ned has another daughter, so who knows...

There is also a quote in Arya's first chapter ever about how Septa Mordane said she had hands like a blacksmith, but I don't think GRRM is hinting at us. AryaxGendry are the only characters I ship in ASOIAF but I sincerely doubt it's going to happen. When has love worked out for anyone in the whole series? :P

Robert to Ned, book 1:

I like to read Robert sentences when thinking about Gendry and Arya, and how well they look togheter :)

Now a random thought that occurred me, I hope someone with the english version of the books can find the right quotes if he likes this idea: Ned and Sansa are very similar, and they share this healthy fear of Ilyn Payne. They are the only two ones, Arya looks more like she hates him rather than anything else, and no one else ever mentions or recalls Ilyn by expressing any particular feeling (Jaime trains with him and speaks too much, Cersei has him near during the BBW (despite not really fearing him), Varys says that he goes proud of his job.

After Ned gets beheaded, Ilyn keeps staying in Sansa's mind (although he was already there... even from way before Lady's death) and that's already been noted by other users.

What I did not find however was someone mentioning Sansa's frequent encounters with "heads on a spike".

She fears Ilyn, who beheads people. She already saw a beheading. Then Joffrey showed her her father's head on a spike, as well as her Septa.

Then, she beheads a giant to then stick his head on the walls of snow-Winterfell, and Littlefinger states that it wouldn't be the first time that heads would be sticked on the walls of Winterfell, since it happened in the past.

Up until now, this just hints at Sansa causing LF's death and sticking his head on a wall... but then, in one of the very few interactions between LF and Varys (ACoK, during a council meeting), the Eunuch jokes about himself and LF being sent to the Wall.

"Wall"->"wall"->"being sent to the wall"->"heads on the spikes on the wall"

To top it all, when Tywin sends Tyrion to King's Landing, he speaks about Joffrey being poorly guided and suggests Tyrion to deliver some punishment.

Which is... to put some heads on the wall, like Varys and Littlefinger's ones.

Probably (and if) they will die, it will be far away from each other... but personally I think that their heads will meet a really similar and fitting fate ^_^

Probably been mentioned but in asos when arya is with the old dwarf woman:

"I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief" - ya know...

"I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built out of snow" - First part is obviously pw but what about the second part? Killing tormund, robert strong, an umber or an actual giant at winterfell? Or am I missing something lol

And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built out of snow" - First part is obviously pw but what about the second part? Killing tormund, robert strong, an umber or an actual giant at winterfell? Or am I missing something lol

Maybe killing LF because his original sigil was the titan of Braavos. That's one idea.

I've wondered about this line by Tyrion being foreshadowing.

“Why, Jaime, my sweet brother,” he said, “you wound me".

it could refer to an emotional wound, like when Jamie admits Tysha actually was what she appeared to be

Cersei gave him [Jaime] a lingering look. "You know," she said, "for a moment you sounded quite like father."

This foreshadows both Jaime's death and him becoming the Hand of the King.

If this bastard [Jon] is truly his father's son, he will not suspect a thing. Perhaps he will even thank me, before the blade slides between his ribs.

Jon isn't a bastard, but I think this could be foreshadowing for Cersei's bastard son, Tommen. If he is Jaime's son he may thank her for the new master-at-arms not suspecting he is Darkstar.

The Night Watch's saying that "the Wall has more moods than mad Aerys" may foreshadow the fall of the Wall. Aerys' death saved King's Landing and arguably the realm. The Wall's fall could end up saving the realm as well. Even if the Wall doesn't literally fall, it may be breached or lose its magical protections, which could be comparable to Aerys losing his grip on sanity.

I like to read Robert sentences when thinking about Gendry and Arya, and how well they look togheter :)

Now a random thought that occurred me, I hope someone with the english version of the books can find the right quotes if he likes this idea: Ned and Sansa are very similar, and they share this healthy fear of Ilyn Payne. They are the only two ones, Arya looks more like she hates him rather than anything else, and no one else ever mentions or recalls Ilyn by expressing any particular feeling (Jaime trains with him and speaks too much, Cersei has him near during the BBW (despite not really fearing him), Varys says that he goes proud of his job.

After Ned gets beheaded, Ilyn keeps staying in Sansa's mind (although he was already there... even from way before Lady's death) and that's already been noted by other users.

What I did not find however was someone mentioning Sansa's frequent encounters with "heads on a spike".

She fears Ilyn, who beheads people. She already saw a beheading. Then Joffrey showed her her father's head on a spike, as well as her Septa.

Then, she beheads a giant to then stick his head on the walls of snow-Winterfell, and Littlefinger states that it wouldn't be the first time that heads would be sticked on the walls of Winterfell, since it happened in the past.

Up until now, this just hints at Sansa causing LF's death and sticking his head on a wall... but then, in one of the very few interactions between LF and Varys (ACoK, during a council meeting), the Eunuch jokes about himself and LF being sent to the Wall.

"Wall"->"wall"->"being sent to the wall"->"heads on the spikes on the wall"

To top it all, when Tywin sends Tyrion to King's Landing, he speaks about Joffrey being poorly guided and suggests Tyrion to deliver some punishment.

Which is... to put some heads on the wall, like Varys and Littlefinger's ones.

Probably (and if) they will die, it will be far away from each other... but personally I think that their heads will meet a really similar and fitting fate ^_^

Allow me to quote myself, since I believe I found another little piece to support my belief.

From the famous Arya chapter in AGoT when she "meets" Illyrio and Varys.

Arya fears for her father, Desmond reassures her stating that Northern men are worth ten Southern swords; "But what if a wizard would sent to kill him?" asks Arya, then.

Desmond replies with a very interesting line (paraphrasing): "You gotta know, my lady, that wizards die as well as any other man - once you cut their head off".

I'm still with my idea that both the best players of the game will meet a similar fate...

On a side note, it's interesting to see by the hands of whom!

Sansa seems almost obvious... and some clever users have pointed out how Arya is suitable for Varys: evidences pointed at the dynamic cat/mouse and other elements, even if I can't find those posts at the moment.

I want to add another one that I haven't found elsewhere, specifically in one of the best lines of the series:

“The king, the priest, the rich man-who lives and who dies? Who will the swordsman obey? It’s a riddle without an answer, or rather, too many answers. All depends on the man with the sword.”

“And yet he is no one,” Varys said.

Who's Arya, at the current moment?

Varys states that power resides when men believe it resides, but at the end of all things power resides in a solid piece of pointy steel imo.

Not even the powerful Varys will be able to do anything about that!

I wonder if that phrase foreshadows something else, like Arya having to choose between three targets or such...

I can guess about Kings and rich men, but a priest?

Melisandre, the High Sparrow, Benerro? Or maybe Aeron?

Or are we talking about Faceless Men's illustrious targets?

In that case the king would be Balon Greyjoy... as far as the rich man I would say a Tyrell/Lannister, but about priests I'm clueless.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but came across this today in one of Theon's chapters in Dance, and it got me wondering:

Then the mists parted, like the curtain opening at a mummer show to reveal some new tableau. The heart tree appeared in front of them, its bony limbs spread wide. Fallen leaves lay about the wide white trunk in drifts of red and brown. The ravens were the thickest here, muttering to one another in the murderers’ secret tongue.

Theon's murderers, perhaps? A hint that he's to be sacrificed under the heart tree, spurred on by ravens warged by Bloodraven?

A naked boy stood on the water, poised to duel with a bravo's blade in hand. He was lithe and handsome, no older than sixteen, with straight blond hair that brushed his shoulders.

Perhaps you chanced to glimpse the statue by my pool? Pytho Malanon carved that when I was six-and-ten.

a Lysene youth with long blond hair that fluttered in the wind . . . but his foe grabbed a handful of that hair, pulled the boy off-balance, and gutted him. "A boy," Dany said. "He was only a boy."

"Six-and-ten," Hizdahr insisted. "A man grown, who freely chose to risk his life for gold and glory."

I think this foreshadows Illyrio's death.

Next was a bull set against a bear in a bloody battle that left both animals torn and dying.

I think we will see Jorah, the bear, fight Victarion, who is described as a bull.

"Only their shadows," Moqorro said. "One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood."

I think that when Victarion and Barristan fight, Barristan will take out Vic's eye.

In the Battle of the Redgrass Field, there was fight between Bittersteel and BR where Bittersteel took out BR's eye. Bittersteel was angry and bitter all his life, and held particular loathing for one brother for taking the woman he loved. He helped one brother in his rebellion to crown himself king while trying to bring down another brother who was king. Victarion is angry and bitter in plenty of the POVs we are given, and he hates his brother Euron for stealing his salt wife. He supported his brother Balon's rebellion to crown himself while he is working to bring down his brother Euron who was crowned king.

@coil

I like your find, further foreshadowing that Arya will kill Varys.

If this bastard [Jon] is truly his father's son, he will not suspect a thing. Perhaps he will even thank me, before the blade slides between his ribs.

Jon isn't a bastard, but I think this could be foreshadowing for Cersei's bastard son, Tommen. If he is Jaime's son he may thank her for the new master-at-arms not suspecting he is Darkstar.

Well even those who believe R+J=L (which should be all of you!) would say Jon is still a bastard because Rhaegar didn't marry Lyanna.

Well even those who believe R+J=L (which should be all of you!) would say Jon is still a bastard because Rhaegar didn't marry Lyanna.

Actually the theory is that Rhaegar married Lyanna. If Jon is just a Targaryen bastard instead of a Stark bastard that doesn't change things very much, but the trueborn son of Rhaegar would trump Dany's claim to the IT.

From the Sansa chapter where she's escaping KL after the PW.

Ser Dontos shoved open a heavy door and lit a taper. They were inside a long gallery. Along the walls stood empty suits of armor, dark and dusty, their helms crested with rows of scales that continued down their backs. As they hurried past, the taper's light made the shadow of each scale stretch and twist. The hollow knights are turning into dragons, she though.

aSoS p. 835, paperback.

Is this foreshadowing for Gendry, who is a knight of the Hollow Hill, being sacrificed to wake a dragon?

"Kings are a rare sight in the North."

Robert snorted. " Most likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned"

That comment was too out of place in that scene so it might hold a hidden meaning, perhaps Jon becoming the true King or maybe just that his royal heritage (Targaryen) is hidden beneath his Bastard identity (Snow). :dunno:

Sansa building Winterfell in the snow may imply that she will be the Stark to rebuild Winterfell.

There was also that quote that I like (hated if true) about Arya's body being found in the Spring after a long winter and a needle being found in her frozen hands. Some people believe this might be the Jon and Arya reunion or the 'different roads lead to the same castle' thing.

Archived