Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

Who is to say Jaime won't tell his children but still fight for them, especially in terms of what he thinks Dany will do to his children given the reputation she's acquiring?

The old Kings of the Rock had owned such a weapon, but the greatsword Brightroar had been lost when the second King Tommen carried it back to Valyria on his fool's quest. He had never returned; nor had Uncle Gery, the youngest and most reckless of his father's brothers, who had gone seeking after the lost sword some eight years past.

Brightroar was lost during the reign of King Tommen II Lannister. Tommen "Baratheon" is the second Lannister king on the IT, so if the second King Tommen appeared, does that mean Brightroar and Gerion will also appear?

what reputation??? has danny ever killed innocent children????

I think its 566 or thereabout. It's as he walks away from table where his unclevtold him he was going to lead his clansmen in the van.

AGoT, Tyrion VIII:

Thanks for the help!

That passage is a fascinating read. The "Lannister camp" stood between the "river" and the "kingsroad"--Rivers is one of the bastard surnames, and the Lannisters stand between Jon the "bastard" and kingship. "It was easy to get lost, and Tyrion did"--Tyrion will have to decide where he stands, and he'll get lost on the way, back the wrong candidate at some point (Aegon? Dany?).

what reputation??? has danny ever killed innocent children????

They may not have been children, but Dany's potentially responsible for the deaths of innocent people, depending on who the people she ordered crucified actually were. Her dragon has already killed one child.

And according to the Arianne gift chapter, yes, she's on her way to earning quite the reputation in Westeros, be it as a kinslayer or madwoman.

There are lots and lots of threads devoted to this issue, though, so that's probably the best place to discuss it.

Crackpot:

Shiera Seastar is foreshadowing for Tyrion and Dany's daughter.

Shiera's mother was the last of her line of an impoverished Valyrian noble house, and died giving birth to her. Her mother was also reputed to practice dark arts to preserve her beauty. Shiera's father knew many women and whores, having one mistress and her lover killed. Shiera had mismatched green and deep blue eyes.

Yunkai'i claimed that she bathed in the blood of virgins to keep her skin smooth and supple

Dany is (supposedly) the last of her line of a formerly impoverished house of Valyrian noblility, and she is foreshadowed to die and will likely die in childbirth. Tyrion knew many women, and he killed his mistress, Shae and the man who slept with her, Tywin. Their daughter would inherit Tyrion's mismatched eyes, with one eye being the Lannister green like Tyrion's and one eye being a deep blue from her Targaryen side.

When I was still pretty new here I used to think there was a good chance that Cersei and Jaime were the Mad King's bastards. But lately I've started to think that all of the Cersei-Aerys connections are actually meant to tie in to the valonqar prophecy; i.e., Jaime killed Aerys, and he will eventually kill Cersei, who is effectively turning into Aerys with teats.

I actually think it's both. Valonqar means "little brother", and Cersei was born before Jaime, so he is also her little brother and will be the one to kill her in the end, for the same reason he killed Aerys. But I still think it's Jaime and Cersei who are Aerys' children (not Tyrion). It explains Cersei's growing madness, her fascination for fire, and Joffrey being born deranged the way he was. And as Genna said to Jaime when they met at the seige of Riverrun, "You smile like Gerion, fight like Tyg and must have some of Kevan in you or you wouldn't wear that cloak, but Tyrion is Tywin's son." And Tyrion really is the one most like Tywin (though with an actual, functioning soul). So I think we'll find in the end that he was Tywin's only child.

Of course, if that's true, we have a whole passel of Targs still running around (Dany, Jon, Aegon, Jaime, Cersei, Myrcella, Tommen). That's enough to make two three-headed dragons with one to spare!

Game, p 582: "when Robb turned his head to look at her, (Cat) could see only black inside his visor." In Western society black symbolizes evil and death. Since Robb is not evil this foreshaddows Robb's death.

ok so im not sure if this is foreshadowing or not, and i dont have an exact quote. When Tormund and Jon are talking about the horn of Joramun, Tormund says that they never did find it, they were just trying to freak the night's watch out. Jon then wonders if Tormund is only bluffing and was trying to make the watch not assume the horn has been destroyed. I think that this is foreshadowing to the "finding" of Aegon, and his legitimacy (the horn may or may not be real). Sorry if this has already been covered

I recently started rereading the series when I stumbled on this thread.

I stopped where I was in the series (a little over halfway in aGoT) and made sure to read every single post in the foreshadowing threads just to see all the instances of foreshadowing. Now that I started reading again, I'm seeing foreshadowing everywhere! Of course, these might just be wishful thinking or stretching things, but here goes.

In Catelyn IX, as Robb's army approaches the Twins, a Frey comes out to greet Robb and asks him to share meat and mead with Lord Frey. This causes an outrage among Robb's bannermen and Roose Bolton says, "Go in there alone and your his. He can sell you to the Lannisters, throw you in the dungeon, or slit your throat, as he likes."

All of this comes true at the Red Wedding as Robb enters Lord Frey's castle relatively alone. Lord Frey sells out the Starks to the Lannisters, Edmure gets thrown in the dungeons, and Catelyn gets her throat cut, all with the help of Roose Bolton.

Now this next foreshadowing might be a bit of a reach, as it concerns the end game, but I would wholeheartedly approve if this happens.

I had always figured that the series being called 'A Song of Ice and Fire' meant that, in the end, Dany and Jon would get married and save everyone. However, while reading these foreshadowing threads, someone said (sorry, I don't know who) that aSoIaF was referring to Jon Snow and his parentage. This fascinates me, because if true, then all my assumptions about Dany surviving are wrong (perhaps her story follows Lincoln more closely than just freeing slaves).

With the focus of just Jon as the ultimate savior I came to Jon VIII. Perhaps reading these threads has made my foreshadowing detector extra sensitive but the following line jumped off the page and slapped me in the mouth:

He is not my father. The thought leapt unbidden to Jon's mind. Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me.

Jon thinks this just after Lord Mormont gives him Longclaw.

I find this passage worded weirdly with two words in particular jumping out.

First, the use of the word 'swords'. It just seems odd that Jon assumes he would be gifted more swords. I mean, once you have one Valyrian steel sword, what do you need another for? I know, Longclaw is a Mormont treasure, but in the special circumstances involving Jorah bringing dishonor to the house, being exiled and Jeor in the Night's Watch, there is no one else worthy for the sword.

The second word that piques my interest is 'they'. Perhaps I'm looking too deeply into this, but 'they' is just too ambiguous a word. Does Jon just mean everyone in general? Then why not just say 'people'?

Perhaps it has something to do with Lord Mormont, more specifically The Lord part.

Here is how I think this is foreshadowing : When Jon uses the word 'swords', this foreshadows him receiving the Iron Throne, and the word 'they' means that he is gifted the iron throne by the lords of Westeros for saving the land. Jon has the Iron Throne moved to Winterfell, honoring Ned Stark and combining two important things from his bloodlines. Thus, Jon becomes the king IN the north, as opposed to king OF the north. I also think moving the power center of Westeros from King's Landing to Winterfell makes it so much harder for the Wall to be neglected and the White Walkers forgotten.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, sorry if I rambled on a little too much.

This is more of a warning than a foreshadowing. Think about this in context with Varamyr's musings and Hodor's reactions to Bran warging him...

Game, 611: ..."Hodor won't go down into the crypts. ... When I woke, I told him to take me down ... At first he didn't know what I was saying, but I got him to the steps by telling him to go here and go there, only then he wouldn't go down. ... It made me so made I almost gave him a swat in the head ... ." Bran

... "Hodor is a man, not a mule to be beaten." Luwin

She [Cersei] went seething.

"Not Robert the Second," Tyrion said. "Aerys the Third."

Another hint that Cersei will go the route of Aerys.

"When you've found yourself in a bed with an ugly woman, the best thing to do is just close your eyes and get on with it," he declared. "Waiting won't make the maid any prettier. Kiss her and be done with it."

"Kiss her?" Ser Barristan repeated, aghast.

"A steel kiss," said Littlefinger.

So those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa . . . Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell. That's worth another kiss now, don't you think?

Sansa will give him that kiss alright, after she finds him in her bed one night.

From the Hedge Knight.

"It may be the gods have a taste for cruel japes. Or perhaps there are no gods. Perhaps none of this has any meaning. I'd ask the High Septon' date=' but last time I went to him he told me that[b'] no man can truly understand the workings of the gods. Perhaps he should try sleeping under a tree."

Bloodraven and now Bran live in caves beneath weirwood trees and have some understanding of the old gods, Bran had visions in his dreams when he slept.

He sat naked under the elm while he dried, enjoying the warmth of the spring air on his skin as he watched a dragonfly move lazily among the reeds.

Could foreshadow the reeds encountering Bloodraven, but I believe it foreshadows Dany encountering Howland.

Could foreshadow the reeds encountering Bloodraven, but I believe it foreshadows Dany encountering Howland.

Interesting. I don't think the two are related but I do think the dragonfly will be developed in D&E. Isn't Duncan the Small the dragonfly prince?

I sincerely apologize if this has been brought up before....

In SOS (One of Tyrion's earlier chapters), Varys is going through some of his reports at a small council meeting. He brings up an actual Kraken siting, but Tywin pushes it away, because he'd rather discuss a real threat. Could this foreshadow the fall of Lannisport because the Lannisters underestimate Euron? Or perhaps an event between Tyrion and Victarion?

This has probably been posted half a hundred times already, but I haven't seen it, so... wrt to the Aegon Blackfyre theory, we know about the story from AFfC, Brienne VII:

He forged a new sign for the yard, a three-headed dragon of black iron that he hung from a wooden post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire. When the wind blew it would clank and clatter, so the inn became known far and wide as the Clanking Dragon.”

“Is the dragon sign still there?” asked Podrick.

“No,” said Septon Meribald. “When the smith’s son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign into pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon’s heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust.

But I noticed something else in AGoT. From Daenerys IV:

Beyond the horse gate, plundered gods and stolen heroes loomed to either side of them. The forgotten deities of dead cities brandished their broken thunderbolts at the sky as Dany rode her silver past their feet. Stone kings looked down on her from their thrones, their faces chipped and stained, even their names lost in the mists of time. Lithe young maidens danced on marble plinths, draped only in flowers, or poured air from shattered jars. Monsters stood in the grass beside the road; black iron dragons with jewels for eyes, roaring griffins, manticores with their barbed tails poised to strike, and other beasts she could not name. Some of the statues were so lovely they took her breath away, others so misshapen and terrible that Dany could scarcely bear to look at them. Those, Ser Jorah said, had likely come from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai.

So, we have "black iron dragons" (YG/Aegon) right next to "roaring griffins," a griffin being the sigil of House Connington.

I sincerely apologize if this has been brought up before....

In SOS (One of Tyrion's earlier chapters), Varys is going through some of his reports at a small council meeting. He brings up an actual Kraken siting, but Tywin pushes it away, because he'd rather discuss a real threat. Could this foreshadow the fall of Lannisport because the Lannisters underestimate Euron? Or perhaps an event between Tyrion and Victarion?

Possibly? But only if Tyrion is with them, too much cleaning the pipes foreshadowing in Dance

Archived