Best Warrior in Westeros

Fat of the Canals

Thoros of Myr won the melee at the Tourney of the Hand in the first book didn't he? He also was the first through the breach at the Siege of Pyke and lived to tell the tale, I think people may be underestimating him. He's also beat Sandor Clegane 3 times in melee tournaments (probably due to Sandor's fear of fire)

Is that true? I didn't realize that, not half bad.

I have a feeling we're going to see an epic showdown between Gerold "Darkstar" Dayne and Areo Hotah in TWOW.

• 3 months later...

We have heard very little of Darkstar, Garlan, Mace Tyrell(sounds insane but havent seen him in action) and a lot of others on this list. cant put those guys near the top, although most sound crazy badass.

1.Barristan Selmy. done and done. your thick in the head if you don't see this.

Top Tier:The Hound, Areo Hotah(very intriguing to me), Vicatarion, Gregor(pure size), Mance,Oberyn,

Others: Belwas the Strong, Loras Tyrell, Bronn, Brienne the Beaut,

of course people die, so if were talking any name throughout the series dead or alive, The Sword of the Morning is obviously up there with Barristan the Bold, and young Robert Baratheon is there too.

I dont know why gregor is so high in many peoples books....he's probably the best fighter of anyone in the series in a massive battle where he can charge and kill a buncha untrained peasants with his brute strength, but in a 1v1 fight I dont see him as ANYWHERE near the top...imo here is just a list of some people who would beat gregor 1v1

-jaime

-brienne

-oberyn (obviously)

-bronn

-sandor

-selmy (even at his age)

-maybe victarion (he seems to be a big dumb brute just like gregor..so maybe not)

-thoros

-jorah

-drogo

-mance

overall I would have to say the best fighter in the entirety of the known ASOIAF universe (not including guys who were around 50+ years ago, there skills are all based on legend and word of mouth so highly, highly, inaccurate) is Selmy, hands down...hell, I would still wager he would kill anyone currently alive in ASOIAF even at his age...people say arthur dayne but who knows...stories get exaggerated, especially after someone dies, something selmy has been too much of a badass fighter to ever experience

I dont know why gregor is so high in many peoples books....he's probably the best fighter of anyone in the series in a massive battle where he can charge and kill a buncha untrained peasants with his brute strength, but in a 1v1 fight I dont see him as ANYWHERE near the top...imo here is just a list of some people who would beat gregor 1v1

-jaime

-brienne

-oberyn (obviously)

-bronn

-sandor

-selmy (even at his age)

-maybe victarion (he seems to be a big dumb brute just like gregor..so maybe not)

-thoros

-jorah

-drogo

-mance

overall I would have to say the best fighter in the entirety of the known ASOIAF universe (not including guys who were around 50+ years ago, there skills are all based on legend and word of mouth so highly, highly, inaccurate) is Selmy, hands down...hell, I would still wager he would kill anyone currently alive in ASOIAF even at his age...people say arthur dayne but who knows...stories get exaggerated, especially after someone dies, something selmy has been too much of a badass fighter to ever experience

Gregor is an 8ft monster. That is why he is high on people's list. Oberyn got the better of him for several reasons: he is one of the best fighters in the realm himself, he had planned this fight and used a spear to negate Gregor's reach, he got lucky himself, he was intelligent enough to blind Gregor with his shield.

The likes of Jorah, Mance, Thoros, Victarion or Brienne don't stand much chance at all.

Possibly Bronn and old Selmy could do it. Loras has a chance as does Darkstar.

Jaime, Sandor and maybe Garlan are the only ones, who would be favourites.

Beric Dondarrion (He makes the list because even though he might not be amazing 1v1, he's gotta be good to survive as long as he did, and he got very close to beating the hound)

Seriously? He got killed in combat on several occasions.

Archived