Small questions v.10003

Angalin

Been re-reading ACOK (in Preparation for new season), and I've noticed that it was Reek (Ramsey) who gave the idea to Theon about "killing" (aka substituting) Stark boys.

I also, don't remember anyone other than Theon and Lord Manderly suspecting that Bran and Rickon are alive.

Doesn't Ramsey knows that Theon did not kill Bran and Rickon? It was his idea to Theon to "wink wink" go to mill because "wink wink" Starks were "there" and he was with Theon when he did the killings and subbed two miller's boys for Stark kids. If so, why he is not desperately looking for them and trying to finish them off? Is he THAT sure of himself, thats not even arrogance that stupidity!

Been re-reading ACOK (in Preparation for new season), and I've noticed that it was Reek (Ramsey) who gave the idea to Theon about "killing" (aka substituting) Stark boys.

I also, don't remember anyone other than Theon and Lord Manderly suspecting that Bran and Rickon are alive.

Doesn't Ramsey knows that Theon did not kill Bran and Rickon? It was his idea to Theon to "wink wink" go to mill because "wink wink" Starks were "there" and he was with Theon when he did the killings and subbed two miller's boys for Stark kids. If so, why he is not desperately looking for them and trying to finish them off? Is he THAT sure of himself, thats not even arrogance that stupidity!

Yes, Ramsay knows. Roose knows as well. When Roose returns north, he tells Ramsay that he better hope the boys remain 'dead' and Ramsay says if they show up, he'll just kill them again. Some of the clansmen are aware as well. When Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor were traveling towards the wall, Bran says that the clansmen know they are there. They later meet with a Liddle in a cave. The Liddle tells the group that the Bastard's Boys are paying coin for word of a direwolf and two boys, then he gives Bran a meaningful look. Sam and Gilly know for sure they are still alive, as well as a Glover since he was there when Davos was told. There's also Wex. Maester Luwin told Theon that Howland would stay his hand at the Neck (where Victarion was) so long as Theon held his heirs. But later when Theon goes to speak with the Ironmen still at Moat Cailin, we see the devastation the crannogmen have wrought which implies that Howland might be aware that his kids escaped with Bran and Rickon. It seems it's become a fairly open secret in the North. There's a thread the discusses all who may know.

snip

snip

So yeah, he is that arrogant. Roose knows better, though, and at some point evaluates that Barbrey Dustin will probably be the one to remain loyal to him if Bran and Rickon reappear. So he is considering his options and is generally aware that it's not as easy as Ramsay thinks. I think he is wrong in the Barbrey department though, bot that's offtopic.

In ASOS, when Jon scales the Wall with the Magnar and Co, he leaves Ghost behind. And ever since then, till the end of the book where Ghost comes back, Jon notices quite a few times that he no longer has wolf dreams, and pretty much has no connection at all with Ghost, and only when Ghost is back does he get the wolfish 'feeling' (?) and notices Ghost is back. Now we know for a fact that distance between Stark and wolf isn't an issue when it comes to wolf dreams (Arya for example), so what happened to make Jon lose his "Ghost Sense", and also, where was Ghost all this time? (He seemed to take his own sweet time to get back to Castle Black, conveniently just at the end of ASOS)

In ASOS, when Jon scales the Wall with the Magnar and Co, he leaves Ghost behind. And ever since then, till the end of the book where Ghost comes back, Jon notices quite a few times that he no longer has wolf dreams, and pretty much has no connection at all with Ghost, and only when Ghost is back does he get the wolfish 'feeling' (?) and notices Ghost is back. Now we know for a fact that distance between Stark and wolf isn't an issue when it comes to wolf dreams (Arya for example), so what happened to make Jon lose his "Ghost Sense", and also, where was Ghost all this time? (He seemed to take his own sweet time to get back to Castle Black, conveniently just at the end of ASOS)

One theory is the magics in the Wall blocked the Jon - Ghost connection.

How would have Jpn reacted if Theon did take the black instead of fighting it out in Winterfell. Do you think he would've killed him?

No. I think he'd've hated it and made Theon know exactly what he thought of him. But he wouldn't — couldn't — have killed him.

I have a follow up to this

Could Jon as LC have refused to allow Theon to join the NW?

Another somewhat stupid question: in ASOS one of Craster's wives mentions that Craster's sons will come for them. But Craster's sons were babies when he sacrificed them, so do others age or do they raise them for a while before they turn them (or whatever it is they do to them). Either way it's hard to imagine a white walker raising a child.

Unless of course Craster's sons turn out to be an army of undead newborns, which doesn't seem very threatening.

I have a follow up to this

Could Jon as LC have refused to allow Theon to join the NW?

I don't think he could flat out refuse him/turn him away at the gates but the LC decides when recruits take their oaths, so Jon could effectively keep passing him over & kept him as a recruit. Recruits are free to leave at anytime, it's just most have nowhere to go.

Another somewhat stupid question: in ASOS one of Craster's wives mentions that Craster's sons will come for them. But Craster's sons were babies when he sacrificed them, so do others age or do they raise them for a while before they turn them (or whatever it is they do to them). Either way it's hard to imagine a white walker raising a child.

Unless of course Craster's sons turn out to be an army of undead newborns, which doesn't seem very threatening.

That question is neither small nor stupid :drunk: The theories are multitudinous & varied, check out

or

My favourite theory is that the boys are sacrificed to allow some form of ice magic to be performed, following the "only death can pay for life" rule. Craster is a super interesting (& icky) dude, he's got quite a bit of press over on heresy recently, specifically which gods he keeps. Mormont says to Jon that Craster serves "crueler gods than you or I", with some speculating that he keeps the original gods of the first men, the gods they came to Westeros with before the COTF introduced them to the gods of the forest, what we now know as "the old gods". My own personal bug bear re Craster is, who was his first wife? Who gave him his first daughter or son? I think it may have been his mother, which ups the dudes icky factor to truly epic levels.

I don't think he could flat out refuse him/turn him away at the gates but the LC decides when recruits take their oaths, so Jon could effectively keep passing him over & kept him as a recruit. Recruits are free to leave at anytime, it's just most have nowhere to go.

I assume that criminals banished to The Wall (as Theon would have been had he taken Luwin's advice) are not free to leave even before taking their oaths. That would be a pretty handy loophole though.

I assume that criminals banished to The Wall (as Theon would have been had he taken Luwin's advice) are not free to leave even before taking their oaths. That would be a pretty handy loophole though.

Their crimes are only pardoned if they take the black.

How is Varys funded? He must have significant revenue streams if he is able to fund a multi-continent spy network, and his civil servant salary probably wouldn't stretch that far. I don't recall him running a legitimate investment such as Littlefinger has with his brothels. I have a vague recollection of his little birds also being skilled thieves, so maybe he runs a fence? Or maybe I'm confusing that with Varys' previous thieving experience.

Not sure if this is a small question not even sure it's a question but not sure where else to post it doesn't anyone else think edric storm will bring arya back home. The last we heard he was sailing to the free cities right.

There are several people who could bring Arya home but Edric wouldn't know her, or know what to do with er if he did. But asking who else thinks it will happen isn't really a small question, maybe you could start a thread on it instead.

Do we think its possible there will be any flashback POVs ever? Has Martin ever mentioned anything like this?

I don't think we will get any flashback POVs. The only flashbacks we get in POVS are the ones experienced by characters in the present.

Do we think its possible there will be any flashback POVs ever? Has Martin ever mentioned anything like this?
The nearest we get is Brans visions through the Weirwood network, and I'd say there's more to come from that angle.

Archived