Jonathan Strange & Mr .Norrell : BBC series !

bemused

I don't know if anyone has picked up on this here yet , but I, for one am in Bliss !

(Ye Gods , are all my dreams to come true ? GoT , and now this ?)

http://blogs.indiewi...series-20121130

I can't imagine the book has not been recommended here before , It's simply fabulous . Completely different in tone , setting ( an alternate Regency England , Napoleonic wars ), and style to ASoIaF , it's very similar in it's complexity ,it's hidden mysterious back story, dangerous magic , riveting characters , etc.

Oh read it if you haven't.. and hurry, it's 800 pages and the series could air later this year.

Oh. My. God...Stephen Black..The Gentleman With the Thistledown Hair...

This could be rich..

Oh god.

I liked the book but it was... weird. Then again, I did read it when I was about 12 so...

I mean, some things work in multiple mediums, but I don't see this book working. It only really works as a book - it's quite old fashioned, and half the point is the richness and depth of the prose and writing. It's not something that can be conveyed in any other medium, I feel, and the eerieness and strangeness, the disquieting sense you get from even just reading about the Thistledown Hair dude, well, I don't see how that works in any other form.

They could deal with them in a number of ways .. different characters could say more here and there... and they wouldn't all need to be covered . I'm so greedy , I'm beginning to harbour hopes for a 2 season treatment. ;)...

I mean , if as suggested, the focus will be on JS and MN up to and including the war..I can see where there could be a whole other season devoted to what comes after.. S1 up to the end of the peninsular war , and S2 Waterloo and beyond.. (C'mon , Beeb ..) They could just let S1 stand alone , if there wasn't an appetite for it.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be an appetite for it. I know the Beeb was rumoured to be interested way back when all the movie rumours first began..but for whatever reason (money , effects..ahem.. FANTASY ) they passed. Now , with HBO's successful foray into adult fantasy with GoT ..they have to feel encouraged. They could pull in fantasy ( not just swords and sorcery ) buffs , but Jane Austen / Dickens lovers as well ...many of whom may never have stuck their noses into a fantasy novel.

And ,if I may say , it would be another absolute feast for women ,with at least 4 main male characters with a good deal of appeal ( Strange , Stephen , The Gentleman and Childermass ) not to mention numerous dashing officers, and very sympathetic female characters..it's a natural for drawing in a female audience. There's nothing like a fine figure of a man in regency costume. Add that plus to great , witty dialogue and real danger ..not just the danger of being left a spinster...while simultaneously, allowing for plenty of action , mystery and derring do....Yum.

If it were anyone else producing it, I'd be skeptical, but it's already in the line of the kind of period piece that the BBC generally succeeds at.

I really enjoyed the book while I was reading it, but I can't remember how it resolved.

I don't except a TV adaptation to be able to capture this book at all, so I won't be too dissatisfied if, well, they don't capture it. I'd be pleased enough if they just made it along the lines of one of the better, creepier episodes of Doctor Who, which at least tend to have good actors and good pacing. I am afraid of them coming out like some of the adaptations of the Discworld, which I love, but only accept as they are because they're meant to be funny. (Good actors! Pacing way off, in an attempt to cram too much in, I think.)

It's what I always hoped for. I was a bit dismayed when it seemed bound for the movie theatre ... I didn't see how it could be squeezed in.

Galleymac...well you have a Dr.Who director and a Wallander writer handling the adaptation ..sounds promising to me.

It's what I always hoped for. I was a bit dismayed when it seemed bound for the movie theatre ... I didn't see how it could be squeezed in.

Galleymac...well you have a Dr.Who director and a Wallander writer handling the adaptation ..sounds promising to me.

Fingers crossed!

Archived