Jonathan Strange & Mr .Norrell : BBC series !

bemused

Let the fantasy casting begin...

I agree with Lockesnow's suggestion of Chiwetel Ejiofor for Stephen Black.

I can't actually remember how old Norrell was or what he's meant to look like, but I'd suggest Toby Jones, I think he could manage the difficult combination of being uncharismatic but interesting to watch.

Norrell - at the opening , in his fifties , but gives the impression of being older , due to his fussiness.

I really like the idea of Toby Jones ...

I always like Ejiofor, but how old is he now? I think Stephen ought to be about low to mid 30's ? ( Ahhh... just checked 35 in 2012...perfect , then ;))

Cumberbatch ...maybe too busy now ?

Well how about the other modern day Holmes then, Johnny Lee Miller?

John Childermass - Paul Bettany

and how about Tom Hollander for the Man with the Thistledown hair?

Wrong thread but it seems to be surviving here.

Elementary seems to be a success so with the crazy 22 episodes a year schedule I doubt Miller has time either. Cumbernatch definitely has the hair I imagine Strange having.

I can see Tennant fitting into the series quite well or Matt Smith.

I always saw Norrel as being the first Doctor, Willian Hartnell. I think they have an actor playing him in the Doctor Who special so maybe he could do it?

It's odd how I seem to have cast Dr Who or Moffat characters while reading the book.

You read this when you were 12? What type of freak (good way) are you?

A bored one. I've loved literature and have been an avid fantasy reader (pretty much only fantasy, actually) since about 11. I'd ran out of other stuff to read and was complaining to my dad about it, and for some reason he (who, despite having a library of over 1500 books, just about never even touches fiction) had it, and told me to give it a shot. Took me about 2 weeks to get through the first 200-300 pages (I do remember it starting off quite slowly...), but after that I actually got quite into it. If I hadn't had absolutely nothing else to read for that short period I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I'm glad I did.

I need to go reread that sometime.

I remember reading (some of) Covenant way too young too. I had to google what "leperosy" was. (I was reading in translation though.) No, scratch that, I went to go look it up in a dictionary. Made of paper. Good grief.

I always saw Norrel as being the first Doctor, Willian Hartnell. I think they have an actor playing him in the Doctor Who special so maybe he could do it?

It's odd how I seem to have cast Dr Who or Moffat characters while reading the book.

The TV movie about the making of the first season of Doctor Who is meant to have David "Walder Frey" Bradley playing Hartnell. I guess he could play Norrell, but I still think Toby Jones (another Doctor Who actor) would be better.

• 7 months later...

The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair is the primary villain and is revealed as Puck at the end of the book, right? been a few years since I read the book

Sort of and no, not at all. His identity is left vague.

Cool. I don't know Carvel at all but Marsan, while he doesn't look anything like I imagined Norrell, could be bang on the money persona-wise.

thought the exact same thing about marsan. Carvel was amazing as miss truchbull in matilda, but not sure how he is for this role? still very pleased, loved the book, can't believe its been 9 years.

Hopefully we might hear about the sequel soon. It took her a decade to write the first book, it's looking about the same for the second (or third, if you count The Ladies of Grace Adieu as the second).

Archived