Jonathan Strange & Mr .Norrell : BBC series !

bemused

Cool. I don't know Carvel at all but Marsan, while he doesn't look anything like I imagined Norrell, could be bang on the money persona-wise.

I feel exactly the same about Marsan, mostly because the last thing in which I saw him was Roy Donovan and he looks nothing like the Mr Norrell that I have in my head. But the more I think about it and factor in how much range he has from all of the other things I've seen him in, I think he'll knock it out of the park.

Carvel... I honestly can't remember him from any of the multiple times that I've apparently seen him, and apparently I've seen him at least six times (Dr. Who, Primeval, The Walking Dead, John Adams, Sherlock, and Les Misérables).

I hope they cut to a well-trimmed gentleman in a study for footnote narration.

Sounds like the perfect role for Stephen Fry.

I think the footnotes could make a good DVD/Blu-Ray extra.

I feel exactly the same about Marsan, mostly because the last thing in which I saw him was Roy Donovan and he looks nothing like the Mr Norrell that I have in my head. But the more I think about it and factor in how much range he has from all of the other things I've seen him in, I think he'll knock it out of the park

I agree that he's not really how I imagined Mr. Norrel, but he probably will do a good job.

More casting info - including Thoros:

Joining Marsan and Carvel in the seven-part adaptation are Alice Englert (the best thing in Beautiful Creatures), Marc Warren (Doctor Who’s “Love And Monsters”), Samuel West (Eternal Law, Van Helsing), Charlotte Riley (Wuthering Heights, Easy Virtue), Enzo Cilenti (Guardians Of The Galaxy, Kick-Ass 2) and Paul Kaye (Game of Thrones, Being Human).

Carvel seems to have a good sense of humour:

“I read the book some years ago and was totally enchanted. I’ve been casting spells for the part of Strange ever since. It is a considerable surprise to find that some of them worked!”

• 5 weeks later...

I'm very excited about this , since it's been one of my favourite books since it came out. here's a link to a site / blog by a fan since those days , Martyn Drake ,AKA Segundus... http://www.foem.tv/

There's some very interesting casting , including Paul Kaye ( our Thoros ) ..as Vinculus ;)...and they will have Clive Mantle ( Greatjon ! ) ..as ???, as yet.

Generally , I'm liking the looks of the cast.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I found the dvd listing for this new series on Amazon UK.

It shows June 15th. Now from this I surmise that it will actually be a while before this premiers.

Probably in April.

Wolf Hall just started airing tonight, it is 6 episodes, and the dvd release for that one on Amazon UK is March 2nd. Just straight after it is finished airing.

Yeah that does seem really late, and does not jive with the marketing of an early 2014 release.

So maybe it will come out earlier after all. It could be that they are not willing to air it alongside Wolf Hall because they want to spread out their best high budget dramas.

I was expecting this month or next to be honest. Hopefully they'll build up the promo of the show. Like others have said, they be be hoping Wolf Hall is a success and sell it that way.

Or, here's an odd thought, wait until Game of thrones starts and use that as a marketing eg "if you like medieval fantasy with magic, why not try georgian/victorian (can't remember when it was set) era with magic?".

Archived