Jonathan Strange & Mr .Norrell : BBC series !

bemused

The first episode was intriguing. I look forward to next week, although, I kind of think it would have been smarter to save this one for a binge, but we'll see. The CGI was pretty great for a BBC series (I remember the days of The Adventures of Merlin, they came a long way in just a few years) this is quality public television.

Oh, and I'm just going to call it now:

Chittermash (Norrell's servant) is a fairy isn't he.

The license has been frozen from a rise for the last 5 years. Some think the lib dems may have curtailed some of the cuts that were planned. We'll have to wait and see how the tories go for the BBC in coming months. It has a whiff of Rupert Murdoch about it but I guess the tories see BBC as being a bit too social/liberal. Wrapped up in the idea it's just to save "hard working people" from paying the license fee. It also got a lot of hate from the other british broadcasters when the financial crisis hit and they were hit hard by a drop in advertising revenue and BBC were relatively unhurt. Then again when ad revenue is up the other channels massively benefit.

It's a tricky one as part of me does feel there should be a choice in paying but at the same time the quality of the broadcaster is excellent and being publicly funded means there's something for everyone rather than just pandering to the masses.

Public television were I live is pretty shitty. Painfully unfunny sitcomy shows, moronic quizzes that reward stupidity, boring talkshows, awful soaps, C-list american shows and if they do manage to buy something great they often just stop a series for no reason at all. The only good thing are the news programmes, but they are good in an impressive-how-much-they-can-do-with-such-limited-resources kind of way. Perhaps all British viewers should just be forced to tune in to those stations, they'd come crawling back to the BBC begging the government to keep on funding them indefinitely.

Public television were I live is pretty shitty. Painfully unfunny sitcomy shows, moronic quizzes that reward stupidity, boring talkshows, awful soaps, C-list american shows and if they do manage to buy something great they often just stop a series for no reason at all. The only good thing are the news programmes, but they are good in an impressive-how-much-they-can-do-with-such-limited-resources kind of way. Perhaps all British viewers should just be forced to tune in to those stations, they'd come crawling back to the BBC begging the government to keep on funding them indefinitely.

And it's not just the entertainment stuff that sets the BBC apart. Their documentary output is astonishing, with science and history particularly well served. I've probably learned more from watching BBC documentaries than I did from my entire time in school.

I thought they got the first episode just right. I think it's been about a decade since I read the book so I'm a bit vague on some of the details now but from what I remember it's been a very faithful adaptation so far, despite some structural differences (if I remember correctly it's not until a bit later in the story that we actually meet Strange). The acting was excellent, particularly Eddie Marsan as Norrell and I thought Enzo Cilenti did a good job as Childermas as well. I think the highlights were that scenes where the magic is done (appropriately), particularly Norrell's initial demonstration in York Minster and the sinister finale.

I think at the end Marsan did a good job of showing how Norrell has a growing dread about how bad an idea it is to do a deal with The Gentleman With The Thistledown Hair but can't quite stop himself, even if he only goes ahead after thinking that another is going to bear most of the consequences.

I thought they got the first episode just right. I think it's been about a decade since I read the book so I'm a bit vague on some of the details now but from what I remember it's been a very faithful adaptation so far, despite some structural differences (if I remember correctly it's not until a bit later in the story that we actually meet Strange).

I'm in the same boat. Its been long enough that while i remember the broad strokes i don't remember the details enough to nitpick. Just watched it on the Iplayer. Fantastic first episode IMO, set the tone nicely.

That was pretty good. Bit slow at this stage but then the book is (I minded less in the book because I was enjoying the prose and because of the little footnote details that this doesn't have obviously, but it's not bad anyway and it'll pick up). As has been widely commented, excellent casting and acting (although Childermass is a bit young and pretty- the actual character of the man was about on the mark, though), and the production values are great.

Be interesting to see how they get on as we see more magic; they just about maintained the balance of keeping it looking like something physical and real while still being... well, magic, but they'll need to be careful for it to not be a bit too plain. Imo.

Be interesting to see how they get on as we see more magic; they just about maintained the balance of keeping it looking like something physical and real while still being... well, magic, but they'll need to be careful for it to not be a bit too plain. Imo.

I think there are at least a few scenes in the Gentleman's home realm, I'm not sure exactly what it should look like but it definitely shouldn't look plain.

I enjoyed it - definitely more accessible than the book. It's a long time since I've read the book but I found myself far more drawn to Childermass and Vinculus in the show. It may be the actors but I was more engaged in their scenes, To the point where I'm hoping Clarke does write a book about those two in future.

Perhaps all British viewers should just be forced to tune in to those stations, they'd come crawling back to the BBC begging the government to keep on funding them indefinitely.

I think it's far more government/other media driven than tyhe public. Most folk cough up their license - the ones that don't rarely get caught unless they are very stupid.

And it's not just the entertainment stuff that sets the BBC apart. Their documentary output is astonishing, with science and history particularly well served. I've probably learned more from watching BBC documentaries than I did from my entire time in school.

Completely agree - their output and quality in this department is arguably the best in the world (well in english anyhow)

Eddie Marsan was discussing the license in an interview when asked "is this kind of production - with clear aims of selling to a world market - how the bbc will have to fund itself in future". He cautioned that the danger there is shows will be made to generate money rather than be fine works of drama. Even if they are fine works he said markets would encorage the bbc to focus on one type of show. I agree with him = as fun as Dr Who is I don't want that to be the only type of show the bbc makes. He also had some interesting insights on the industry and how the big british actors are currently "posh". He doesn't blame them but says it has become an industry where it's almost impossible without some personal wealth to get through the lean years. Check out Andrew marr show on iplayer if you want to hear it direct

The first episode was fantastic, already looks like one of the better shows of 2015.

Minor complaint: the Man with the Thisteldown Hair was a little too obviously evil for my liking - I had always imagined his countenance to be very cheery/pleasant (though his actions, of course, are malign).

The second episode was a major step up imo. I felt like they were a little bit uncertain of atmosphere/tone last week, but that second episode was full of it. Really good work from all people involved. The CGI is great for a BBC show, heck it's probably the second best CGI on TV (GoT with its juggernaut budget still wins). The show is so eerily creepy and I love it. This might end up being the best thing I have seen on the BBC this year.

Second episode definitely an improvement on the first.

Drawlight & Lascelles ftw.

Minor complaint: the Man with the Thisteldown Hair was a little too obviously evil for my liking - I had always imagined his countenance to be very cheery/pleasant (though his actions, of course, are malign).

Agree.

The second episode was a major step up imo. I felt like they were a little bit uncertain of atmosphere/tone last week, but that second episode was full of it. Really good work from all people involved. The CGI is great for a BBC show, heck it's probably the second best CGI on TV (GoT with its juggernaut budget still wins). The show is so eerily creepy and I love it. This might end up being the best thing I have seen on the BBC this year.

I think until Norrell first summons The Gentleman at the end of the first episode the story is a bit unfocused (to some extent the books are the same), until that happens there's relatively little dramatic happening to drive the story.

I agree the atmosphere of the show is excellent.

Although I think Mark Warren is doing a good job in the role I think you might be right that The Gentleman was a bit more amiable in the book, his interactions with Stephen Black felt a bit different. I seem to remember in the book his friendly intentions towards Stephen felt more genuine, in his own way he meant well but because his perspective is so alien this ends up getting expressed in often horrific ways.

I'm in the same boat. Its been long enough that while i remember the broad strokes i don't remember the details enough to nitpick. Just watched it on the Iplayer. Fantastic first episode IMO, set the tone nicely.

This is me too.

I loved episode one (it was one of the few shows I've ever rewatched within a week of first seeing it), and I thought episode two was even better. The guy playing Strange knocked it out of the park in episode two. Just fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the rest of it, but seven episodes is just so short :(

I liked how the gentleman was appearing in mirrors without them drawing attention to it in several scenes, Most shows these days would have some clanging music to make it obvious.

I found the second episode to be a bit slow but they do seem to be moving things along. I guess the pacing is deliberate and hope it becomes more frenetic as things/magic get more chaotic

Archived