Is Daenerys Healed at the end of ADwD?

Jupiter's Cock

In her last chapter, she reflects on how heavy her 'moon blood' flow is and that she can't recall the last time she had it. Could riding Drogon (magical properties of dragons...) have healed her infertility (Mirri Maaz Dur's assertion)?

I always thought about how futile it would be for her to gain the Iron Throne, and then not be able to provide an heir, only to send the 7 Kingdoms into war for power all over again upon her death. This would be one way to establish a new Targaryen dynasty (perhaps with Jon Targaryen as her consort).

What are your thoughts?

In her last chapter, she reflects on how heavy her 'moon blood' flow is and that she can't recall the last time she had it. Could riding Drogon (magical properties of dragons...) have healed her infertility (Mirri Maaz Dur's assertion)?

I always thought about how futile it would be for her to gain the Iron Throne, and then not be able to provide an heir, only to send the 7 Kingdoms into war for power all over again upon her death. This would be one way to establish a new Targaryen dynasty (perhaps with Jon Targaryen as her consort).

What are your thoughts?

It was the first moon blood she'd had in three months. Common speculation is that Dany was experiencing a miscarriage. The first male she had sex with after Drogo was Daario, which started about three months before her flight from Meereen.

No, I don't think riding Drogon healed her of her infertility, but I also don't think she was ever infertile in the first place.

I think that it was probably a sign of her regaining her fertility but more to do with MMD's prophecy being fulfilled rather than anything to do with Dragons.

I always thought mmd was messing with dany or maybe thought she wouldn't try due to her greif but I assumed she had a miscarriage true a women can have a heavy flow but due to her not having one for so long I assumed she lost a baby either from the berries she ate or the water she drank contaminated with the fluex.

But you could be right about some magical aspect healing dany if I were to go with that I would say dany revelation about being the dagron and admiting her faults and weaknesses in the wilderness she has a reflection on her past and accepts her roll so maybe once that was done dany became whole and got what she needed to be the queen she was meant to be.

It's also not uncommon for women to miscarry before 12 weeks. In fact, common wisdom is to not tell people you are pregnant until 12 weeks are passed, since the risk for miscarriage drops a lot after that and you can be reasonably certain to carry to term after that.

“When will he be as he was?” Dany demanded. “When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east,” said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.”

MMD's prophecy about Dany doesn't say that she is infertile, it says that Drogo won't return/be as he was until these conditions are met. Focusing on the infertility part of the prophecy, I take that to mean that Dany will become pregnant again at some point, that she will bear a living child, die in childbirth, and be reunited with Drogo.

Also, just because it is prophesized doesn't mean it will come true (especially when you consider that the person giving Dany the prophecy hates her and wants to hurt her as much as possible)

What are your thoughts?

I think she had a miscarriage and that there is nothing in her to be healed. I don't think MMD cursed her with infertility, what she said was that the Drogo would be returned after the mountains blew in the wind (and some other stuff - don't have the book in front of me at the moment so don't have the exact quote) and then that Dany delivered a living child. To me I took that one of two ways 1) it was just a fancy way of saying she will never get Drogo back or 2) Drogo would come get Dany and take her to the nightlands after the birth of her living child. Meaning it was a curse but not that she can't get pregnant but that delivering a living child will kill her. I think she'll be able to have a child at some point, but I think the child will be raised by a Regent and Dany will die in the process.

I think she had a miscarriage but could still be infertile.

However, I don't think we should automatically assume that Dany IS infertile. Mirri Maz Duur says Drogo will return to her when "your womb quickens, and you bear a living child". But at this point MMD believed Dany would be sent to Vaes Dothrak and never have sex again. Dany - and the readers - did not assume this; we knew that she would never submit to the patriarchal rules of the Dothraki, but Mirri Maz Duur did not. Her message therefore makes sense even without Dany being biologically infertile.

However, I don't think we should automatically assume that Dany IS infertile. Mirri Maz Duur says Drogo will return to her when "your womb quickens, and you bear a living child". But at this point MMD believed Dany would be sent to Vaes Dothrak and never have sex again. Dany - and the readers - did not assume this; we knew that she would never submit to the patriarchal rules of the Dothraki, but Mirri Maz Duur did not. Her message therefore makes sense even without Dany being biologically infertile.

Your comment about MMD's assumption that she would become a crone of Vaes Dothrak is interesting. I'm inclined to lean in that direction myself now that I've considered it.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to point out that Mirri did not decree that Dany would never get pregnant again, just that she'd never bear a living a child.

Her having a miscarriage would actually not conflict with this: her womb can quicken, but she won't be able to carry the child to term. She might be doomed to an endless series of miscarriages. She's had two already.

I can't believe i never considered this.

Good catch! Never thought of that.

• 1 year later...

I am considering that the prophecy was misinterpreted. "When the sun rise in the west and sets in the east" Quentyn (the prince on Sunspear) grew-up in the west and died in the east. "When the seas go dry" maybe a reference to the destruction of the Ironmen. Finally, "mountains blow in the wind like leaves" could refer to the Wall's destruction or the defeat of the Mountain himself.

I'd just like to point out that we don't know it was a miscarriage. Dany was eating berries she thought were poisonous and drinking muddy water before this started. She had also not been eating for a long time before this event, and medically speaking I don't think it takes very long of not eating before a miscarriage happens. George might not have considered that but still.

Archived