World War Z by Max Brooks

Tom the Merciful

I am absolutely enjoying this book and I cannot believe it is not hyped more.

Thing is, the movie will be released in June and I am urging everybody to read it before the movie ruins the reading experience. Book is structured as a series of interviews with persons who survived that worldwide zombie apocalypse, whereas the movie will cover only one viewpoint (which I am not sure is in the book at all). Also, judging from the trailer, there are some very important conceptual changes regarding zombies which I cannot disclose without spoiling either book or movie.

However, I am strongly recommending the book. It is far more than a straightforward zombie horror.

We've had a couple of threads on it before. I agree that it's a fantastic read, and one of my SFF books.

The movie . . . . I don't know. They only showed the CGI zombies in a handful of images in the trailer I saw, and they looked bad (the scene in the alleyway looked like they were flooding out of a video game spawn point). I'm hoping they've re-done some of the CGI since that trailer came out. I'll see it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

OP - You know that WWZ was published in 2006, right? So its hype has long long since come and gone. We've ha several threads on it here which I recommend you read - also several generalized zombie lit threads.

The movie looks like a decent action/apocalypse flick but in no way resembles the book, at least based on the trailers I've seen.

Sorry for opening a new thread. Somehow I completely missed the discussion in the past.

OP - You know that WWZ was published in 2006, right?

Of course I know that. For that reason, social commentary and, especially, described pre-war economic issues are all the more fascinating.

This book was so gripping. Reading the first hand accounts really made me feel like I was there. To be honest, this book spoiled zombies for me. Afterwards, I just couldn't get into the Walking Dead or any other zombie related movie/show/book/graphic novel for that matter. It's very similar to what reading ASOIAF did for me in the fantasy genre.

Archived