What are you reading in March?

pat5150

I'm about a quarter of the way through Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetary. As with most of his books, it's dense, multi-layered, full of interesting concepts and absolutely brimming over with literary, historical and philosophical references. And, as with most of his books, I'm not convinced that it actually tells much of a story. But it is a wonderful read.

I finished the excellent Caliban's War by S.A.Corey and thought it was brilliant. I loved every minute and couldn't put it down, I can't wait for the next one to be out on paperback. June, I think.

I'm now reading the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. I'm about a quarter of the way in, it's a very interesting read so far.

Sorry, PB. I can't finish the Gap Cycle. I'm absolutely hating the second book, and I decided at the beginning of the list that I was only going to commit myself to the first book of series, or else I could be spending months reading things I hate, and life is too short for that mess.

So, on to Titus Groan.

Sorry, PB. I can't finish the Gap Cycle. I'm absolutely hating the second book, and I decided at the beginning of the list that I was only going to commit myself to the first book of series, or else I could be spending months reading things I hate, and life is too short for that mess.

So, on to Titus Groan.

Alas, you and SRD were never meant to be.

So, on to Titus Groan.

You're missing out. The Gap Cycle is excellent but I can definitely see where people would be put off by the first and start of the second book. On the other hand, I only made it a hundred pages in to Titus Groan before giving up.

I'm currently reading Stories of Ibis, Caine's Law, and listening to John Dies at the End which is fucking hilarious.

I finished The Daylight War by Brett. I'm afraid I fall into Werthead's camp on this one. The book was chock full of filler. No wonder Brett apparently needs five books for this series. Really, Daylight should have been cut in half and merged with book four. I have to say I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with the series or not.

The other day I had some extra time on my hands doing some research testing for the University of Iowa Hospitals so I got a good chunk into Howard Waldrop's Strange Monsters of the Recent Past. Finished it last night.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. Need something quick and short before River of Stars comes out.

You're missing out. The Gap Cycle is excellent but I can definitely see where people would be put off by the first and start of the second book. On the other hand, I only made it a hundred pages in to Titus Groan before giving up.

Actually I was fine with the first and start of the second book, but really started to despise it about halfway through the second. The main character (thus far) seemed promising in the first book - even with the terrible things happening to her, she was resourceful and determined. A huge problem that I had was that after that her character seemed to take on whatever traits it needed for the story. This often isn't a problem in hard sci-fi where the character personalities aren't all that important, but when the characters' psychology is so central, it comes across as ridiculous. For example, in the first book, she seemed bright and intelligent but with limited experience and no signs of genius. Yet in the second book, she's able to come up with drastic changes to the ship's code and implement them in minutes. And she switches from being debilitated and crying on the floor to coming up with brilliant plans over and over. Even if it makes sense that someone psychically damaged might have swings like this, the description of what's going on in her head doesn't change to make this believable, and her thoughts when she's planning aren't otherwise very intelligent, making it seem like the intelligent parts aren't really hers.

Actually I was fine with the first and start of the second book, but really started to despise it about halfway through the second. The main character (thus far) seemed promising in the first book - even with the terrible things happening to her, she was resourceful and determined. A huge problem that I had was that after that her character seemed to take on whatever traits it needed for the story. This often isn't a problem in hard sci-fi where the character personalities aren't all that important, but when the characters' psychology is so central, it comes across as ridiculous. For example, in the first book, she seemed bright and intelligent but with limited experience and no signs of genius. Yet in the second book, she's able to come up with drastic changes to the ship's code and implement them in minutes. And she switches from being debilitated and crying on the floor to coming up with brilliant plans over and over. Even if it makes sense that someone psychically damaged might have swings like this, the description of what's going on in her head doesn't change to make this believable, and her thoughts when she's planning aren't otherwise very intelligent, making it seem like the intelligent parts aren't really hers.

I thought it was because she'd learned to tune her zone implant to whatever she chose and that included being able to maximize intelligence or some such stuff. I could be wrong but that's what I took from it.

Edit: Spoiler ed.

*SPOILER* SPOILER*

I thought it was because she'd learned to tune her zone implant to whatever she chose and that included being able to maximize intelligence or some such stuff. I could be wrong but that's what I took from it.

To some extent yes - but when it was useable and when it wasn't always worked out ridiculously conveniently - like she was able to "trick" Nick into leaving it in her room at the one point where she really needed it and at the point in the story where her success would provide some plot resolution.

I realize that without some lucky coincidences, most stories couldn't move forward, but having a plot device that powerful needs something to offset it, and the physical abuse was overused to the point that it didn't have much impact anymore. As soon as I realized that her stupid fucking kid wasn't actually in danger of dying, the rest of the book was totally stupid to me.

Embassytown by Mievielle. I know Mievielle is considered a modern genius and then something, but this time it took me 180 pages to enjoy the story. In the end the basic plot is rather simple and could have worked with half the schnick schnack (nice German word for fuzz). Shame he didn´t cite Derrida though.

Rise of Empire by Sullivan. Quite contrary to Mievielle Sullivan tells a story without all the fuzz, but it´s just a satisfying one. I really liked his approach to classic fantasy and I am reading the conclusion to the series right now.

This weekend I zipped through Gone Girl. I'd sort of avoided it to date in a backlash against its popularity. In the first section where we get to know both the protagonists I almost, almost gave up reading. I can't abide that suffocating TMI intimacy where a character wants to describe EVERYTHING and tell you precisely what kind of person they are in minute detail. This is precisely why I couldn't read We Need To Talk About Kevin - because the gigantic, emotional intimacy infodumping made me nauseous... But I knew that Gone Girl had to get better otherwise it wouldn't be so popular. And it did get better. Once we get into The Plot it was easy to read - a typical airport thriller. It keeps you guessing and it does, in a minor kind of way, have something to say about marriage, relationships and love. Nothing groundbreaking, but it made me stop and think for a minute. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to read on a flight or while lying on a beach.

Embassytown by Mievielle. I know Mievielle is considered a modern genius and then something, but this time it took me 180 pages to enjoy the story. In the end the basic plot is rather simple and could have worked with half the schnick schnack (nice German word for fuzz). Shame he didn´t cite Derrida though.

Rise of Empire by Sullivan. Quite contrary to Mievielle Sullivan tells a story without all the fuzz, but it´s just a satisfying one. I really liked his approach to classic fantasy and I am reading the conclusion to the series right now.

I'm on page 161 (part three) of Embassytown, and having the same problem. I absolutely loved, The City, and The City, and The Scar (and Perdido Street Station), yet just not feeling it. I am basing my lack of interest on two things. Firstly, this is the first book for me, post asoiaf, secondly, I do not have an English language, or literature background, sadly, and just don't get a lot of the references. Will keep with though, and hoping to learn something about language at the same time.

Archived