What are you reading in March?

pat5150

Halfway through Red Country, and that'll wrap up Abercrombie until he gets off his break.

Not sure what the next project will be, either Long Price Quartet, Lawrence's Thorns (but I'm tempted to delay these until Emperor is close to release) or possibly Moby Dick (which is a project I dread, but I'll do it no matter). My choice will depend a lot on how I feel after Red Country, for example, reading Throne of the Crescent Moon after Perdido Street Station was a great way to refresh, so I'll pick accordingly after Red Country.

I'm sad to hear the bad reviews for the The Twelve. Just finished The Passage, which I had been lukewarm about, but which I liked much more on the re-read. And just bought the ebook of The Twelve on Amazon. Hope it's not as bad as ya'll say :(

That's decided then, I won't bother with The Twelve. Thank you, mash. I <3 this forum. I felt the same way about The Passage, ie, it was entertaining but essentially just an ok novel. Now I needn't waste valuable reading time/money on the sequel. :)

Seconded. You can chalk up two folks you took the bullet for and you have my thanks.

I'm sad to hear the bad reviews for the The Twelve. Just finished The Passage, which I had been lukewarm about, but which I liked much more on the re-read. And just bought the ebook of The Twelve on Amazon. Hope it's not as bad as ya'll say :(

Isis, Bellis and thistlepong, I just wrote what I felt about Twelve. I was really disappointed. I don't know if it matters or not but dalThor hated it too. But... Bellis, you might actually enjoy parts of it. You know how it goes, each book resonates differently for different people.

It doesn't really. It wasn't terrible, but could have been better. I am looking forward to the final showdown, though.

Sadly you were right. Another disappointment, my husband will be devastated, he's been looking forward to this. Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness had been on his to-read list ever since he read and loved the first one. This book was a lot weaker and I was just bored to death with some passages, it could have used some serious editing and definitely fewer actual historical figures making an appearance. I still want to read the third book and see how it all ends so it didn't put me off completely.

I'm now reading Elephant Girl: A Human story by Jane Devin. Only a few pages in, it's been kind of crazy around here. I only have the ebook, just try to read an ebook with two toddlers who go batshit insane around any sort of electronic device. "WANT!!! MINE!!!" :unsure:

Post what you think. I hated it. Although I'm sure you author types have some sort of unwritten pact not to talk shit about one another.

P.S. I loved your books.

Thank you! I hope to have another for you shortly ;)

As for the pact. Please, please don't tell anybody about it or I'll have to hand in my badge :(

Finished Deborah Mitford's memoirs Wait for Me! allin one gulp. Whatever you think about her politics and position she can flat out write.

Struggling with The Book of Lost Things. In some ways it is fun but it is so relentlessly depressing that I'm not sure I want to finish.

Ghost Story by Peter Straub, which was a bit mild and too much like 'Salem's Lot at points (small town is besieged by supernatural evil, party of good guys band together to fight it). Good main character though.

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. A very modern ghost story without an obvious ghost, that trades as much on the fear of social failure as on violent death. At points really creepy. Definitely recommended.

I've just started Italo Calvino's If On A Winter's Night A Traveler. It's incredibly aggravating, but I suspect that's intentional. Nevertheless I'm impressed with his ability to keep up a sort of "rhetorical triangle" relationship between the writer, the text and its audience within sight, rather than letting the reader slip away into the novel's story. So far this is a very interesting and different book.

Back into the Discworld after a good 18+ months off, Soul Music is my fourth Discworld novel and I find as much as I eventually like the books, I can't bring myself to read them very close together. It's the same with Soul Music as it was with The Colour of Magic, Mort & Reaper Man, I struggle to get into them, or get use to the style but eventually I do enjoy reading them after 100 or so pages. Was/is that normal for anyone else?

Also got Spielberg: A Retrospective to dip in an out of this month, it's a beautiful, coffee table book. It's one of the reasons I never see myself making the jump to Kindle, books like this. The book itself is simplistic yet interesting for the fact it's the only book Spielberg has cooperated on about himself or his career, so there's a lot of fresh insight.

I always have some fiction and some non-fiction on the go:

Fiction

City of Ruin by Mark Charan Newton. It's the second in this series, Legends of the Red Sun, and I'm finding it unputdownable - except for the fact that I have to keep putting it down at bedtime. Really enjoyed the first of the series (Nights of Villjamur and I'm not disappointed by this one so far.

Cymbeline by William Shakespeare. I'm working my way through the Complete Works, about seven or eight in at the moment. Cymbeline has been one of my favourites so far, and I'm surprised I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago. Which is precisely why I'm reading Shakespeare, because I like to know these things.

non-fiction

How to Write a Thesis by Rowena Murray. Informative, useful. Nuff said.

An Introductory Guide to Post-structuralism and Postmodernism by Madan Sarup. It's taken me a while to get into the rhythm of this, but I really feel like I'm picking up a lot of useful ideas now.

I finished Conspiracy by Lindsay Buroker. I'm having a blast reading this series but I wish I knew that this one ended on a major cliffhanger! The first three books are self contained, and books 4-6 comprise of a story arc.

I need a change in genre, so Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures is next.

I finished Dark Currents, by Buroker. Even better than the first one; the character interactions are making this series great.

Now trying a book called Dusk, by Tim Lebbon. Know nothing about it but I sometimes snag books off the library shelf by the cover.

Just finished The Emperor's Edge. The character banter is really it's strength, I had some LOL moments. I'll definitely seek out the next volumes but I'll work on my WoT quota first (The Dragon Reborn's been sitting on queue).

Reading two series (technically three cause I still have Sherlock Holmes) at once will probably drive me insane but I'd risk it.

Iain M. Banks Culture novel Player of Games. I read on TV tropes that this is the best place to start reading.

Loved it! Great story, very interesting concepts, the game tournament was exciting and at the end I wanted to learn more about the Culture so I will be reading the rest. Not sure about reading order.

Reading Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey, maybe halfway through.

I haven't read a ton of SF books, but this is OK among the few that I have.

My main issues so far are that I find myself constantly pulled back out of the world by cheesey/random romance bits. They totally come out of no where with no setup. I am not sure how you do it better, but I am sure it could have been done better.

Also, there are several instances where I stopped reading and was like, I have no idea how to picture anything described. The gun they just fired, what does it look like, sound like? Does it have a kick? For that matter what are they wearing, that dude has a hat but what about everyone else...

That happens too often, that said, it seems like they are close to nailing something cool at the same time. We shall see how it turns out.

Now trying a book called Dusk, by Tim Lebbon. Know nothing about it but I sometimes snag books off the library shelf by the cover.

I may try doing that one day. Usually I have a long mental list of what to read next though, so I'd have to acquire one and try to slot it in somewhere.

Archived