vikings! on the history channel? what the hell?

MercenaryChef

More likely you were the victim of rhetorical flourish.

Rus is the word for the steering board used on longboats.

So they were named after the steering board or the other way around? Did i mis-spell or have we uncovered another BBC scandal?

I liked it. It has modest ambitions and it achieved them. I don't really get why they used susbtitles a couple of times in odd places, and the idea that Norsemen (or Danes or Swedes or whoever they were meant to be) would regard western Europe and England as some wondrous mythical place that can't be reached is pretty silly, but I can overlook that. It was entertaining enough.

ETA; So, the basic idea as I understood it is that they're going to build up maybe to the famous first Viking attack on Lindisfarne? That's a cool idea, if that's what they're going for.

For a great book on the history of Vikings, which addresses why they have the historical rep they do as well as the reasons behind the explosion of "viking" in the 9th-11th C, check out Vikings by Robert Ferguson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0143118013/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Lengthy but worth the commitment if you're interested :)

I watched the first episode, and it kind of surpassed my expectations. I was thinking it would be something like Spartacus, but without sex.

The characters are well developed and well written. Every dialogue felt authentic to me, not just some cheap knock off of Game of Thrones. So far, so good. I'll definitely keep tuning in. Hopefully the future episodes are just as good, or even better.

That can't possibly be a long list, can it?

the list will not be long, but it is important that we have a solid plan.

tonight we watched episode one of the the series. it was pretty watchable, but then i like me some vikings.

where as it is a loose interpretation and dramatization of a time in history that few of us really know really well the game of throned series is a loose interpretation and dramatization of books that most of us have all read. one of these series will be more on my interest list.

I was able to see the 2nd episode on demand. Interesting they got to the fireworks factory rather quickly in fact. It was a soap opera but that is understandable. I'll watch it agian on Sunday.

The only problem with shows now is here is 5 minutes of a given show and 10 muinutes of advertisments.

Archived