Pronunciations you botched in your head?

shiola

Are there any words or names from the series that you pronounced a certain way in your head, only to have them shown to be wrong in the show or in interviews?

For me personally,

My mind kept adding (and sometimes still does) an extra syllable into Daenerys, making it Daener-ius, and Viserys into Viser-ius.

I always pronounced Tyrell as Ty-rell, but in the character feature on the season 2 DVD for Renly, they pronounce it Teer-ell.

I don't know if this is because I'm from the Midwest, but I always read Davos with the A as Dayvos, as in David.

I read Catelyn as it's spelled, rather than Catlyn.

I read Baratheon as it's spelled, but I heard GRRM say it as bear-ath-ian.

I pronounce Osha and Asha the same way.

There's probably a hundred more I'll remember as I re-read the books.

Chataya I read in such a bizarre way I can't work out how it was after hearing it proper

I watched the show before I read the books so most in GoT I didn't get confused on. Although I still over pronounce Arya...

Most of the Krakens and Dragons I still have to think carefully about

Don't even get me started on the free cities citizens

I'm terrible at this with any made up names (and some real ones).

Cersei I always pronounced Ker-see

Jaime I always pronounced Jaym

Arya I'm still not entirely sure on because even on the show they pronounce it a few ways - Arr-yuh, Arr-ee-yuh?

But since hearing the names so many times on the show now I'm starting to forget how I used to think of them.

Jeyne I always read, and still occasionally read, as Jean. Until Theon's "Jeyne, Jeyne, it rhymes with pain," I thought I was right.

Catelyn I pronounce kate-lyn. I went to school with several girls with that name, all spelled differently. One spelled hers that way, so I can't break myself from reading it like that.

Targaryen, I read as it is spelled "tar-GAR-yen". The pronunciation in the show makes it seem like it needs an extra R or Y. I could probably break myself from reading it the way I do, but I'm so used to it and like the sound.

Targaryen, I read as it is spelled "tar-GAR-yen". The pronunciation in the show makes it seem like it needs an extra R or Y. I could probably break myself from reading it the way I do, but I'm so used to it and like the sound.

Yep, I pronounce Targaryen the same in my head with emphasis on the second syllable and with a long "a" in GAR I might add.

Rhaegar is a name I always botch. I actually hate that it's Ray-gar. I mean Ray as in Ray-bans or Sugar Ray just sounds so....bland for a dragon prince. To me he will always be Rah -ee-gahr, no more no less.

Damphair--

I kept pronouncing it "Damfair"

ha ha!

Me too, I think lots of others did the same thing.

I also always struggle with Targ names, not just how to pronounce them but the spelling. Is it "ae" or "ea", I can never remember. Many of the names in Essos throw me quite a bit, no idea if I am saying Daario, Hizdahr, or Reznak right now. No idea how to pronounce Xaro either.

I've been fine with all the other Westeros names though.

Me too, I think lots of others did the same thing.

I also always struggle with Targ names, not just how to pronounce them but the spelling. Is it "ae" or "ea", I can never remember. Many of the names in Essos throw me quite a bit, no idea if I am saying Daario, Hizdahr, or Reznak right now. No idea how to pronounce Xaro either.

I've been fine with all the other Westeros names though.

How is Damphair supposed to be pronounced?

And I also used to pronounce Davos as Day-vos instead of Dah-vos :( I like my way better, anyway.

Damp-hair - I used read it as damfair, until I realised why he would actually be called Damp-hair.

I don't think I struggled with any of them, to be honest, although the Meereenese names needed a couple of reads to get straight.

Yeah I struggle with that one as well, keeping thinking in my head it's pronounced Meerenese.

Like some others, "Damfair" which feels real dumb when you think of why it should be Damp Hair.

I still have no idea on Quarth. And I was shocked to hear Xaro Xhoan Daxos pronounced.

I think some of the Midwesterners, like myself, had a huge problem when the show started because all the actors sound English or Irish. So "Airya" turns into ahhhhrya and Saaansa turns into Sonsa

Archived