RW episode pushed back?

Sour Billy Tipton

Just saw a trailer for the HBO film Behind the Candelabra, the movie about Liberace. It said the premiere is Sunday May 26th. The same date that the 9th episode of GoT would be on.

I'm assuming they will premiere the RW episode June 2nd and spend 2 weeks promoting the biggest episode of the series.

Just saw a trailer for the HBO film Behind the Candelabra, the movie about Liberace. It said the premiere is Sunday May 26th. The same date that the 9th episode of GoT would be on.

I'm assuming they will premiere the RW episode June 2nd and spend 2 weeks promoting the biggest episode of the series.

That is true. "Blackwater" was Memorial Day weekend, and the ratings dipped for it because there is a smaller TV audience on MDW. Through out the week though and with HBO GO, it spiked to be clearly the best episode of the 2nd season.

Why do you say that? Unless HBO made a mistake on the Liberace trailer or the RW will take place during another episode, we will have to wait an additional week.

I hope they promote it well outside of HBO. You could assume that all Memorial Day weekend they will have a marathon of all 28 episodes. But they should air some commercials during the NBA Playoffs.

Just looked it up, the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Finals will be on right before and possibly during June 2nd. That sets up perfect for an ad campaign. I've noticed that HBO had bought up 30 second spots during the NBA Allstar game and had a GoT ad on the scores table during the game.

Unless the movie's starting at 10pm, I can't see how they've done it other than postpone Episodes 9 and 10 by a week each. But if it's because of memorial weekend, won't the same argument apply? Does HBO not want to get good ratings for this TV movie as well?

Unless the movie's starting at 10pm, I can't see how they've done it other than postpone Episodes 9 and 10 by a week each. But if it's because of memorial weekend, won't the same argument apply? Does HBO not want to get good ratings for this TV movie as well?

More money invested in GOT than in Liberace

Does HBO not want to get good ratings for this TV movie as well?

I would think HBO doesn't take to much into account for the ratings numbers for their movies. I almost never watch a movie on the night of its premiere but catch it later OnDemand or some other time.

Also, when have we seen an HBO movie premiere on a Sunday? I've always seen them on Sat. They must be moving it because the 9 o'clock spot is vacant from GoT being moved to June 2nd.

No chance it's just starting at 10pm then?

I must admit I'm surprised that HBO are going to be advertising the RW. The Battle of the Blackwater, sure. Everyone knows it's coming and the whole season is building up to it, but a lot of the power from the RW is that you don't know it's coming and it just blindsides you. If they start saying, "OMG, this episode is major!" that seems to defeat the purpose of it.

It will probably not be pushed back, because they will loose more viewers with this than just show it just right away. But I think that HBO is discussing this with David and Dan because every episode has a date ready, except episode 9 and 10. So I would just wait a couple of weeks, and when GOT season 3 starts we will probably know.

I must admit I'm surprised that HBO are going to be advertising the RW. The Battle of the Blackwater, sure. Everyone knows it's coming and the whole season is building up to it, but a lot of the power from the RW is that you don't know it's coming and it just blindsides you. If they start saying, "OMG, this episode is major!" that seems to defeat the purpose of it.

Well, maybe they need to advertise it in this manner.

"Next week, episode 9 of season 3, the episode where nothing important is going to happen." Then you hear Walder Frey "heh heh heh". Then one of the dotraki: "It is known."

Couldn't it just be on HBO2 or something?

It's not a good idea to put an expensive flagship series on a less-watched channel. Remember, HBO2 costs more money to subscribe to.

I would think HBO doesn't take to much into account for the ratings numbers for their movies. I almost never watch a movie on the night of its premiere but catch it later OnDemand or some other time.

Also, when have we seen an HBO movie premiere on a Sunday? I've always seen them on Sat. They must be moving it because the 9 o'clock spot is vacant from GoT being moved to June 2nd.

Well the Phil Spector movie is going to be on Sunday week before S3 premiere.

I also do not know why 7 pm is just so out of the question.

Archived