Next book "The Winds of Winter" will come out in 2016!

JohnSHoward

I've been thinking of when his next book, "A Winds of Winter" will come out, his writing pace and HBO's investment and from his perspective what he needs to do in order to maintain control of his property.

At a minimum George will take four years for the next book but most likely it'll be five so looking at 2016 as a release date. I say this because of the HBO train coming full speed ahead behind him. At the current rate of HBO seasons plus their need to break them up due to each books size and scope this is what I think will happen:

• A Game of Thrones (1996): HBO 2011 (Season 1)
  • A Clash of Kings (1998): HBO 2012 (Season 2)
  • A Storm of Swords (2000): HBO 2013 Part 1 (Season 3)
  • A Storm of Swords (2000): HBO 2014 Part 2 (Season 4)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2015 Part 1 (Season 5)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2016 Part 2 (Season 6)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2017 Part 3 (Season 7)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2018 Part 4 (Season 8)
  • The Winds of Winter (2016): HBO 2019 Part 1 (Season 9)
  • The Winds of Winter (2016): HBO 2020 Part 2 (Season 10)
  • The Winds of Winter (2016): HBO 2021 Part 3 (Season 11)
  • A Dream of Spring (2021): HBO 2022 Part 1 (Season 12)
  • A Dream of Spring (2021): HBO 2023 Part 2 (Season 13)
  • A Dream of Spring (2021): HBO 2024 Part 3 (Season 14)

If HBO is still going strong and he wants to keep control of everything which he seems obsessed with then he'll have to come out with "A Winds of Winter" by 2016 and then "A Dream of Spring" five years after.

I stopped reading as soon as you assumed that AFfC and ADwD could ever take as long as four seasons. There's barely enough material in AFfC for one season even if they didn't make any cuts. With cuts and re-shuffling of material, the majority of AFfC and ADwD could easily take place in one season.

Agree with PatrickStormborn here. There's an awful lot that can be cut for the purposes of a TV series. And in any case, there is no way that HBO will fund 14 seasons. It's virtually inevitable that over that period of time, audiences will dwindle. They either need to wrap up within 8-10 seasons or (more likely) squeeze as much advertising and subscription money out of it while times are good, and never finish it off.

• A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2015 Part 1 (Season 5)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2016 Part 2 (Season 6)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2017 Part 3 (Season 7)
  • A Feast of Crows (2005)/Dance with Dragons (2011): HBO 2018 Part 4 (Season 8)

Surely you jest!

I agree that Feast and Dance shouldn't be so long, but I don't think HBO has any choice. If they don't they'll be way ahead of him and have to take the series into a different direction. There is a ton of wasted storyline in Feast, by far the worst book.

Feast and dance will be Two seasons at most.

By the time season 4 rolls around and adds in the Iron born and Dornish arcs what books certain parts are from will be irrelevant.

The story arcs will need to be intertwined due to chronology rather than what book they're from.

Bascially though, if WOW isn't out by 2015 the whole saga is in big trouble.

You are assuming TWOW will come out in 2016 based off of how long it took GRRM to write AFFC and ADWD. Many people don't know or forget that GRRM took only two years between AGOT and ACOK, and two years between ACOK and ASOS.

Yes it seems that GRRM's writing has slowed down considerably after ASOS due to several reasons at the least, but it is entirely possible he completes TWOW in less than than it took to complete AFFC and ADWD.

I expect 2015 at the latest, but I think he can make the end of 2014 which would be 3.5 since ADWD's release.

So by the time we actually find Rickon, he'll be nearing twenty years old?

This is a key concern. There are a lot of young characters that are integral to the storyline - Arya, Sansa, Jojen, Meera, Bran, Rickon, Myrcella and Tommen to name a few. If the entire series is spread out over the next 11 years the characters will simply not look right. Maisie Williams is already nearly 16. She would be 27 by the time the series finishes but still playing a young teenager. Callum Wharry (Tommen) would look even sillier trying to play the role of a child well into his teens.

Yes they could be recast but that would ruin the continuity.

Edit: This is assuming their characters survive the rest of the series, but that's a different thread right there...

I agree that Feast and Dance shouldn't be so long, but I don't think HBO has any choice. If they don't they'll be way ahead of him and have to take the series into a different direction. There is a ton of wasted storyline in Feast, by far the worst book.

Of course they have a choice. The show doesn't need to be on air every single year.

Playing guessing games is fun and all, but unless someone has something genuinely new to add to the numerous existing threads doing just that, I think this one is redundant.

Archived