To those who read Daniel Abraham's The Long Price AND The Dagger and the Coin

Kevvv

Hey, I'm done with Leviathan Wakes series and found it amazing :drool: . DA was a pretty good discovery, so I'm going on to another one of his series. I'm pretty busy so I probably won't read both in a long time, I'm undecided between attacking The Long Price or The Dagger and the Coin first, which one is the best in your opinion ?

Fire opinions away !

Poor Ty. :crying: He wrote half of LW! Why isn't he amazing?

As for Dagger and Coin vs Long Price, it's a little like asking if Coke is better than Sprite. Depends on your tastes. The Long Price is a complete and finished series, of course, which might count for something. It's a more unusual fantasy series, also - the setting and background are very unique. I prefer it slightly, but then again, Dagger and Coin isn't finished yet, so it's got time to overtake.

I would probably recommend The Long Price Quartet, just because it's finished. Dagger and the Coin has 2 books published out of 5 (third one comes out this May), so you may be stuck waiting longer if you go for it first.

TLPQ is a very different kind of fantasy series. It spans a couple of generations and has a very different setting that your traditional fantasy series. It takes a little bit to get into (I struggled to get through the first book), but it's an absolutely incredible series IMO.

TDatC is more traditional and easier to get into. Also fantastic so far. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

I've not gotten to read much lately, so out of ignorance and lazyness: what else has Ty Franck written?

OT: TLPQ. It's finished, and even though I didn't care much for book two, the last two are absolutely fantastic. You need to read them all, though, no skipping books!

tLPQ is my favorite work of fiction, so I'll 3rd or 4th that.

I've not gotten to read much lately, so out of ignorance and lazyness: what else has Ty Franck written?

Maybe some stories, but he doesn't have any others novels.

both are good. Dagger is more enjoyable from the get go whereas long price has an awesome idea but things don't really kick off until book 3. It is amazing from that point on though/

Poor Ty. :crying: He wrote half of LW! Why isn't he amazing?

Oh no. you're right. Of course ! What have I done ?! Since I forgot about him, I googled him and its pretty interesting to see the relationship between DA/Ty/GRRM

Thanks for the replies, I guess TLPQ sounds like the better choice for me.

TDatC is more traditional and easier to get into. Also fantastic so far. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

Really? I don't think it's that traditional at all. It is fantastic, but it's far from "cut from the same cloth"...

I wasn't able to find TLPQ at my local Barnes & Noble but I did manage to scoop The Dagger and the Coin. Really looking forward to reading it because the author seems to get a lot of praise around here.

Really? I don't think it's that traditional at all. It is fantastic, but it's far from "cut from the same cloth"...

Well, it's more traditional than TLPQ. Both are wonderful, though, and both are very unique.

The final two books of TLPQ are among the best and most moving fantasy novels I have read. The Dagger and Coin feels more like traditional epic fantasy to me as well but I am enjoying it just as much and the same gift for creating 'real' characters is evident. I am looking forward to seeing where Daniel takes the series.

Its as close to traditional as it gets. Some different characters, but not really in the same ballpark as the Long Price.

It's a lot closer to traditional epic fantasy than Long Price is.

Yeah, the thing about the Long Price quartet is that it is (deliberately, as I recall) as far from 'traditional' epic fantasy as you can get while still being in the genre. Dagger & Coin is still a very unusual take in many ways, but a lot of the 'furniture' is familiar.

Hey, I'm done with Leviathan Wakes series and found it amazing :drool: . DA was a pretty good discovery, so I'm going on to another one of his series. I'm pretty busy so I probably won't read both in a long time, I'm undecided between attacking The Long Price or The Dagger and the Coin first, which one is the best in your opinion ?

Fire opinions away !

Have you read Caliban's War? It's the 2nd book in the Expanse Series, with Leviathan Wakes being the 1st. I think the 3rd book, Abbadon's Gate is coming out later this year.

Well, The Long Price quartet had a lot of startling inclusions, for a fantasy series, starting with middle-aged women who do accounting or run inns etc. for starters.

The first volume of the D&Coin was exciting, in terms of upside-downing the usual tropes: outsider, weakling etc. guy gets to be on top but he's still a lousy human being, etc. By the second volume all that's kind of fallen to the wayside in favor of a whole lot of the usual ooooo horrible female spider mind-clouding-controlling-evil.

Archived