Female Charactes

Daughter of Kalmor

Hello,

I know that some of you love to read and that in those books sometimes there's a female character who's unforgettable because she's beautiful, evil, pure or a complete b****.

So here's my quesion for you.

How all the books you guys have read, who's your unforgettable female character?

Leave the name of the book, name of the character and why you choose her.

Leave the name of the book, name of the character and why you choose her.

There are many many characters to choose from here as "women in all literature" is a pretty broad topic. But the first that comes to mind for me is Lady Brett Ashley by Earnest Hemingway. She is the driving force of a novel as most of the main characters are in love with her. She has many of the typical qualities you expect in a leading lady - beautiful, with a sharp tongue, (seemingly) independent, and yet vulnerable. But she is much more than the men who idealize her believe, and her flaws are laid bare by the end.

If you are looking for an English professor's "right" answer, I think you should probably go with Juliet. She is running circles around Romeo pretty-much the entire play, and she's only fourteen.

Daughter of Kalmor - Don't you have a favorite? It seems only polite to contribute to your own thread...

Off the top of my head, Apsalar from the Malazan books. Starts off as a poor fishergirl, gets possessed by a god for a few years, retains some of his memories and becomes a badass assassin.

Gwyn from Jackaroo, by Cynthia Voight. She knows she's powerless in a lot of ways but does what she can to improve her crappy world anyway. And she reminds me of the Grateful Dead singing the traditional Jack a roe.

Carrie from Carrie, by Stephen King. Sick revenge fantasy.

I'm almost done with the Scar by China Mieville and Bellis Coldwine is pretty awesome too. She's resigned to situations she doesn't want to be in, but has this resolve to handle herself with grace, and just has this really good sense of self that comes across as really permanent.

The Stark girls and Brienne of Tarth.

eta: Oh and Bertie Wooster's Aunt Dahlia is pretty hilarious from the Jeeves and Wooster books by P.G. Wodehouse.

I'm almost done with the Scar by China Mieville and Bellis Coldwine is pretty awesome too. She's resigned to situations she doesn't want to be in, but has this resolve to handle herself with grace, and just has this really good sense of self that comes across as really permanent.

Yeah, I thought about her too, but I couldn't remember her name and was too lazy to google/stand up and look.

Probably typical; but Jane Eyre; I fucking love that woman. Don't you hate on my Jane Eyre.

I even knew Jane Eyre was pretty cool when I was a 12 year old little dude (although most of the book was way over my head). This led to mockery when we had to read it in school a couple years later and I was all "oh that's good book".

I even knew Jane Eyre was pretty cool when I was a 12 year old little dude (although most of the book was way over my head). This led to mockery when we had to read it in school a couple years later and I was all "oh that's good book".

Top bloke.

:cheers:

My favourite is Lady Macbeth.

She's a strong character, if not one of the strongest female characters in Shakespeare's Plays and I love how important her presence is, especially in the first two acts of the play.

She reminds me of Cersei in a way that she's a woman who's not fragile or a damssel in distress. Lady Macbeth is ruthless, ambitious and wants power. I mean, she's the one that plots the murder of the King when Macbeth is too soft to do it on his own and she basically tells him to be a man and do it. I'm sure she would have killed the King herself!. Then takes the daggers back to the King's room when the stupid of her husband doesn't want to return to the scene of the crime and then smears the drugged servants with blood so they can be blamed of the crime.

I don't like that after that the plays gives more importance to Macbeth (Yes, I know the play is named Macbeth for a reason but still...)

Lady Macbeth is and always will be a fantastic female character.

Oh, Ursula from One Hundred Years of Solitude is pretty good, just out of sheer perseverance. I love when she chastises Arcadio when he turns into a little dictator. Also from the same book, Fernanda's incredibly long one sentence rant is pretty impressive, even if she's a character you love to hate.

Well, there is of course Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird, one of my all-time favorite books. I also heart Bobbie Markowe from The Stepford Wives, who manages to be smart and funny without being mean, not an easy thing to do. Oh, and Moira from The Handmaid's Tale.

Lisbeth Salander. She's pretty multi-deminsonal and unforgettable. A total badass but who is vulnerable at the same time. Pure genius who doesn't have the best judgment of character. She's also of a height with me. :D

I also really admire Celie from The Color Purple. She is definitely a character who changes so much from the beginning to the end. You just have to read the book (it's from her POV in letters to God) to see just how much she changes from a weak young girl to a strong-minded woman! UGH I love her.

Hellian from the Malazan series is also a good example. There are so many soldiers in the Malazan books that it's sometimes hard to remember all of them, but Hellian is super memorable. She's basically a hilarious drunk who is afraid of spiders.

Who??? I quit after Toll the Hounds. Is she only in the last 3? Because I don't remember her at all.

EDIT: My offering, off the top of my head, Susannah from Dark Tower series.

Archived