You are a Lord Paramount. Who would you have sided with in Robert's Rebellion? (No hindsight allowed)

Fetch me a block

No hindsight allowed, as in, if you side with the team that ended up winning, the rebels, it has to be for any reason other than that "they won" you can say "they had the best chances" and side with them for this reason, though.

This is at the start of the war. You are a Lord Paramount, and can raise immediate banners of something like, let's say, 30,000 men, and have a small-medium sized fleet too. By this point, you know that Stark, Tully, Arryn and Baratheon have sided with Robert, and Targaryen, Martell, and Tyrell with Aerys. You know that whatever side you join will influence the war massively, maybe even be the decisive factor. You are in good proximity to the war. Because obviously this is just your decision and thus because you as a Lord Paramount do not exist in the actual ASOIAF series, you have no connections to any of the other great Houses in terms of dynastic marriages etc. You are making this decision entirely on your own terms. Your bannermen will follow your orders to the letter. Who do you side with? Bare in mind the potential benefits you get from joining the winning side, or the negatives for the losing side.

I would side with the rebels. I've never liked the Targaryens and I wanted to join the alliance of four (Stark, Tully, Arryn, Baratheon), rather than endure the Mad King and potentially another Mad King down the Targaryen line. Also, the murders of Rickard and Brandon Stark and the abduction of Lyanna Stark have infuriated me, my House, and my Bannermen. I would also be fearful of where the Targaryen madness could and would strike next.

EDIT: You are allowed to be 'flexible' with your support for either side, and negotiations are king, if you know what I'm getting at :cool4:

Depends where I was situated tbh

King Aerys committed a grevious crime by killing Warden of the North Rickard Stark for no apparent reason and then went over the top by calling for Jon Arryn to hand over Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon. Brandon acted like an idiot but he should have been imprisoned until his father could pick him up. Or at worst send him to the Wall but killing him was another overstep. The rebels cause was just, to remove Aerys from the throne.

When the Riverlands joined the cause then I would have most certainly joined the rebels. If I were a Northman I would've been straight off to war.

Huh, actually, maybe this. Demand a marriage with Robert (unlikely with Lyanna alive) or someone else, like Edmure.

Some land, castles when the war is won, son taken as the kings squire, master of coin maybe. Nothing unreasonable.

It would all depend of what each side offered me. If I had any brothers/sisters or sons/daughters, I would seek for huge marriage pacts and any kinds of benefits when the war ended. First of all, I'd try to negotiate and alliance with Rhaegar, not Aerys, by a betrothal between my heir (if I have one) and Rhaenys, or between one of my daughters/younger sisters and Aegon.

That not being achieved, I'd ally with the rebels and try to marry a sister/daughter to Robert or Edmure.

It would all depend of what each side offered me. If I had any brothers/sisters or sons/daughters, I would seek for huge marriage pacts and any kinds of benefits when the war ended. First of all, I'd try to negotiate and alliance with Rhaegar, not Aerys, by a betrothal between my heir (if I have one) and Rhaenys, or between one of my daughters/younger sisters and Aegon.

That not being achieved, I'd ally with the rebels and try to marry a sister/daughter to Robert or Edmure.

Or, if my lands are not too vulnerable, try and declare myself king.

Or, if my lands are not too vulnerable, try and declare myself king.

That'd probably get you killed. If you were going for the Iron Throne, then you'd have no chance out coming out on top. If you were going for just independance, then you'd still be facing the combined might of whoever wins the IT, and that wouldn't be pretty.

I'd probably stay with the crown. Not because I particularly like the Targaryen but I'm very cautious by nature. I could pull a Tywin and declare for whom was winning at the last moment. Yes, I would do that. My loyality would be pricey and have my best interests at heart.

Archived