You are a Lord Paramount. Who would you have sided with in Robert's Rebellion? (No hindsight allowed)

Fetch me a block

Do we know Rhaegar planned to make some changes or not because that is an important detail to know if we are deciding.

Yes, he did. We don't know the specifics though. He was perhaps trying to gather support for edging Aerys away from power at the tourney at Harrenhal (which was scuppered when Aerys went there himself). On leaving the Red Keep before the Trident he mentioned he would implement changes when he had won the war.

That'd probably get you killed. If you were going for the Iron Throne, then you'd have no chance out coming out on top. If you were going for just independance, then you'd still be facing the combined might of whoever wins the IT, and that wouldn't be pretty.

After the Targs lost their dragons, it was matter of time until a rebelion against the central power that they held happened. After Robert conquered the throne, that central power weakened, but not sufficiently, and the court has become a local for people to seek their own interests, at a realm scale, which, when the Targs ruled, wasn't the particular case.

Rebels. I am not someone who would be happy to have a king that kills people like Aerys killed Rickard and Brandon, and ordered the death of Ned and Robert because he could. I would not have slaughtered Rhaegar's family either but taken them prisoner, and I would have resisted demands to kill them, but depending on whether Tywin got to King's Landing first or not, it could well be out of my hands. Since this is a matter of principal, I would not necessarily be looking for personal advantage in doing this.

I'm siding with the rebels because it was clear that not only did they want Aerys gone, but so did Rhaegar. I think some of the lords that sided with Aerys did so in part because they didn't believe that a complete change of regime was necessary. I have no doubt that some of them wanted the Mad King gone as well, where they differed was on who would replace him, the crowned prince or Robert.

As a Lord Paramount you owe your allegiance to the crown. With no blood relatives on the rebel side, plus the obvious advantage that the Targaryens have in terms of numbers, I'd have to say I'd side with Aerys. Now if there were relatives on the rebel side, then I would face the Stannis dilemma and cannot say what I would do.

After the Targs lost their dragons, it was matter of time until a rebelion against the central power that they held happened. After Robert conquered the throne, that central power weakened, but not sufficiently, and the court has become a local for people to seek their own interests, at a realm scale, which, when the Targs ruled, wasn't the particular case.

And? This isn't addressing anything I said. If you were trying to make yourself king of all Westeros, you wouldn't win. You'd have no allies. If you were trying to make yourself king of your own lands, you still probably wouldn't win. When Balon tried to do the same, he had Westeros come down on him. When Robb tried to do the same, he cost himself of any allies bar Balon.

The loyalists, as long as that meant Aerys being deposed by Rhaegar afterwards. The Targaryens were the only ones who could keep holding a unified Westerosi state together for more than a few years, a state that I believe was much better for its peoples than what they had had before. They basically got more peace and trade in exchange for almost nothing.

Besides, dragons are much cooler than grass eating prey animals...

Yes, he did. We don't know the specifics though. He was perhaps trying to gather support for edging Aerys away from power at the tourney at Harrenhal (which was scuppered when Aerys went there himself). On leaving the Red Keep before the Trident he mentioned he would implement changes when he had won the war.

I meant we as Lord Paramount in this hypothetical.

If we think that Rhaegar is afraid of needing to kill the king more then he fears the results of his father staying in power that could tempt towards Jon, if we know he is planning to make some changes and remove his father from power that would tempt us towards the royalists.

I take my vows very seriously and have a special hatred for traitors so I sure as hell would be a loyalist to the bitter end.If I somehow managed to survive the Trident and the fall of Kings Landing without capture I would go with Viserys and Daenerys in the east, vowing revenge and cursing the usurper daily.

since all the previous rebellions against the targaryens had failed it would seem unlikely that the rebels would win this time so i would join the targaryens

But all previous Rebellions against the Targaryens had either come from within the Targaryen family or an attempt at sovereignty from the Dornishment basically, thus there was no real alternative. The case was one Dragon or another Dragon or have a Dragon control 6 Kingdoms or 7, respectively.

I meant we as Lord Paramount in this hypothetical.

If we think that Rhaegar is afraid of needing to kill the king more then he fears the results of his father staying in power that could tempt towards Jon, if we know he is planning to make some changes and remove his father from power that would tempt us towards the royalists.

:blushing:

I would have sided with the heros right after Brandon Stark and Rickard Stark died. If we had close to 70,000 men from the outset of the rebellion, I think Tywin Lannister would have sided with us very quickly as well. However, since I am the bulk of his forces, I would insist that I be named king at wars end. Robert, Jon, and Eddaed never wanted it so why not?

Archived