You are a Lord Paramount. Who would you have sided with in Robert's Rebellion? (No hindsight allowed)

Fetch me a block

Lord Paramount of what? Frost Fangs? Dothraki Sea? Summer Isles? Kinda all Seven Kingdoms positions are taken. I know it isn't the same if you are not LP because then you have your own LP and you are expected to side with him or you break the oath, but in that case you break the oath to king, so many oaths as Jaime would say. But OK suppose I am 9th LP, it's still matter of location, if I am between North and Riverlands, or anywhere near Riverlands, place is hell, it is not the same as if I am behind Dorne and virtually untouchable.

But in any case I would side with the Crown, because they are Targaryens, and I am traditionalist like that. And I don't know how will it end. I look over to the crown forces and see Reach, Dorne, Crownlands and bunch of Storm and River lords, compact territory of massive force, I know Lannisters won't rebel (they didn't in fact, until crown was beyond saving) and would probably hope they will help the Crown. I would go all in, get the all vassals to go in full force, make an example of rebellious and stalling,calculated and undecided ones. But of course leave third of most loyal and skilled of my own force as garrison and to train backup force of levies and strong defensive militia (rich merchants and alike, they wouldn't go to was but learn to defend the capital, they weren't going to trade much in the middle of civil war) In any case, strike the one group of rebels, cut of the North or Vale or attack Robert.

With extra 30k troops and rebels unable to join forces, Crown would win easily, not to mention Lannisters that would surely join the Crown after some time of winning. Join with fellow LP and work together to get bunch of new privileges, control mechanisms over the king and possibly Rhaegar as a king instead of Aerys (Martells would go for it because of Elia blackmail, Tyrells because they benefit greatly, Tywin hates Aerys and has no choice, because he joined later). Then enjoy all the new lands and privileges as one of the 5 remaining LP, because Targs as sure as hell wouldn't pardon offending families neither would I let them do it.

I most definitely would have sided with the rebellion.

In a feudal society, justice can be a shaky thing. The fact that Aerys feels like he's within his rights to execute a major Lord Paramount and his heir without any real form of trial would send a pretty terrifying message out. I'm surprised that the whole realm didn't turn against Aerys right then and there.

Historically speaking, major lords and barons were very jealous of their rights and privileges. In England they habitually rose up in defiance whenever the king overexercised his royal prerogative. Given the fact that the major lords of Westoros used to be kings in their own rights, I'm sure they would be even more defensive. Although I suppose the Tyrells and the Martells sorta make sense, the Martells are bonded by marriage and the Tyrells were never actually kings.

In any case, I would side with Robert. A king who feels like he can arbitrarily dish out punishment and terror is a tyrant, plain and simple.

Eh, since I've no personal stake in this rebellion as the OP states, I'd probably call my banners(albeit very slowly) and support the crown, even if I've no great love for the Targaryens. That said, I'd probably follow the Mace Tyrell route. I'd slowly march on a rebel target, decline to offer a major battle to any rebel hosts and maybe get bogged down in a siege. I definitely wouldn't get too far away from my own lands just in case they were threatened. That way I've options no matter what happens. If the crown wins I supported them from day one, if the rebels win well I didn't do anything too terrible to them and can probably get decent terms. Regardless either way, my forces didn't suffer much and my lands and holdings are in tact.

I truly don't know . What is my connection to the Targaryen ? Where is my lands located ? Most of the Targaryen allies come from the Crownlands , Riverlands ,the Fingers who benefitted from the Targ invasion ,and Dorne and the Reach were wed to the Targs . What am I ? Am I One of Aerys' bootlickers ? What's in it for me ?

Archived