Which POVS do you want The Winds of Winter to focus on?

Holy Sock

Mereen-Dany is probably going to have less PoV chapters, compared to other books, as she will a) have to share her screen time with Tyrion, and b )may not get a PoV until she somehow turns up and saves the day in Mereen. Barristan and Victarion also being PoVs may reduce her screen time (although at least one will die) and they will probably not get many chapters each. Equally, sharing space with Dany will reduce Tyrion's chapters a bit, or too much of the book will be Essos focused.

So, I would predict 4-5 each for Dany and Tyrion, 2-3 each for Barristan and Victarion.

At/beyond the wall/the north- Jon will not have a PoV until he is resurected, so he will probably have less. Bran won't have that many, either, due to the nature of his storyline. Melisandre will have a few, probably before Jon is resurected and maybe one after. Davos may end up with the most chapters of all the northern characters, but then again he may not, depending on how periferal his story is. Asha will have a few, and so will Theon (if he doesn't die almost straight away, but I don't think he will).

So, I'm predicting Davos with 6 chapters, Jon with 4-5, Bran with 3, Melisandre with 2-3, Asha with 2-3 and Theon with 4 (assuming he doesn't die!)

The riverlands and the vale- Sansa, Jaime and Brienne will all have chapters, hopefully Sansa has the most, as she's an origional PoV character, but these three are probably some of my favourites, so I wouldn't mind them all getting a lot of chapters. Also, as Sansa is fairly isolated, I foresee her getting more chapters than she otherwise might.

So, I predict 5-6 chapters for Sansa and Jaime, and 4 for Brienne.

Arya- Given we don't know exactly what Arya's doing, or where she's going, her chapter numbers are pretty hard to predict. Even if she gets sent to King's Landing to assassinate someone (or even to assassinate (f)Aegon or something), she's unlikely to interact much with other characters, so she will probably get plenty of PoVs. She's also a popular character, so I'm estimating 6.

Aeron Damphair- We know Damphair has at least one chapter, but I don't think he's going to get a lot. He's also pretty distanced from the other characters, but unlike Arya/Sansa, he's not a main PoV. I think he'll get 2-3 chapters.

The Crownlands and the Stormlands. Cersei and Arianne will both probably get a decent number of chapters. Cersei might die in tWoW, but it won't be near the beginning. JonCon will get less, but I don't think he'll die straight away either. Cersei is also the only PoV we have in King's landing, although I suppose Jaime might come back.

So, Cersei gets 5-6, Arianne gets 4-5, JonCon gets 1-2.

Dorne and Oldtown- Sam is in Oldtown now, which seems like it could be important to the story. Sam also tends to get lots of PoV chapters. Aero Hotah is going hunting for the Darkstar. I'm guessing this is relevant, or it wouldn't be put in. If any PoV is missing from this book, without the character dying, it will be Aero, though. So, Sam-6. Aero 0-2.

So, that's somewhere between 84 and 71 chapters. Given the number of chapters in previous books, 84 is probably too high, but 71 is a bit low. I'm hoping GRRM will go for more shorter chapters (like the first three books) compared to fewer, longer ones (like AFFC). Given AFFC is arguably the least popular book, he will probably be urged to do this, by his editors, but obviously he can ignore them.

Here's my prediction:

Main POVs - many chapters (8 and more):

Tyrion

Arya

Daenerys

Cersei

Medium amount of chapters (4 - 7)

Sansa

Jaime

Samwell

Theon

Davos

Arianne

Asha

Victarion

Aeron

Few chapters (up to 3)

Bran

Brienne

Barristan

Areo Hotah

Jon Connington

I have no idea where Jon and Melisandre might go.

Martin has left himself with 21 possible POVs for TWoW and since the books cannot possibly give each character the same attention I was wondering which characters would you like the book to focus on or which characters the book should foucs on? Or, I suppose, which characters would you like to have the most chapters?

AFFC largely followed Cersei, Brienne, Jaime and Sam whilst ADWD focused on Jon, Dany, Tyrion, and Theon.

Personally, I would like to see a lot more Tyrion, Davos, Bran, Victarion (although he'll probably die) and Jaime. The book should really move Dany's story forward as it seems at the end of ADWD she might be turning her attention towards Westeros and it would be nice to see Sam's storyline become more more integral.

It would also be interesting to see a few Ghost chapters.

More and more Sansa. I kinda miss her. She's a favourite of mine.

So is the Hound, by the way. Just saying.

Then A lot of Jaimie, even though I'm going to suffer greatly if Brienne turns out to be Unbrienne.

Tyrion, as always, but it would be cool to see more of Cersei and Myrcella as well.

I'd like one Margery POV chapter. Don't know why, since I have him.

Also The on. I used to hate him, but that was before Bolton chopped his prick off. That put things in a different perspective, I guess.

Then Davos, Danaerys, Arya, Bran, Faegon/JonCon and prince Do ran. I miss Dornishmen.

what about some new POVs? like Jaime's Cersei's etc..

I'd certainly want a few Stannis PoV chapters(if Asha dies)

Aegon's PoV would be amazing too...same important scenes seen through Arianne and Aegon's PoV.

Osha's backstory on her and rickon's travels and future plans would be amazing(GRRM did say he likes Osha and wants to give her a bigger role)

Hodor for sure :D

jks, but the one person who i reckon should get a POV is Benjen beyond the wall, mabye he's reached the lands of always winter, and it would be interesting seeing the dramatic irony in his head since as far as he's concerned, Robert Baratheon is still alive. also iirc, GRRM said there would be a chapter set further north than the story's ever gone, so mabye it will be Benjen in TLOAW

This is, in my estimation, the minimum chapter count for each character:

Meereen:

Tyrion: 6

Daenerys: 5

Barristan: 3 chapters

Victarion: 3 chapters

Braavos:

Arya: 5

At Winterfell:

Theon: 3

Asha: 3

At the Wall:

Melisandre: 3

Jon: 1

In the Vale:

Sansa: 5

In the Riverlands:

Jaime: 4

Brienne: 2

In the Stormlands:

Jon Con: 2

Arianne: 3

In Dorne:

Areo: 2

In the Iron Islands:

Aeron: 4

That makes 54 chapters, leaving room for 15-20 more chaptersthat will be divided among the POVs.

This is, in my estimation, the minimum chapter count for each character:

Meereen:

Tyrion: 6

Daenerys: 5

Barristan: 3 chapters

Victarion: 3 chapters

Braavos:

Arya: 5

At Winterfell:

Theon: 3

Asha: 3

At the Wall:

Melisandre: 3

Jon: 1

In the Vale:

Sansa: 5

In the Riverlands:

Jaime: 4

Brienne: 2

In the Stormlands:

Jon Con: 2

Arianne: 3

In Dorne:

Areo: 2

In the Iron Islands:

Aeron: 4

That makes 54 chapters, leaving room for 15-20 more chaptersthat will be divided among the POVs.

Pretty sure Arianne will have more than three. we already know what happens in her first 2 chapters.

The focus has to be Meereen to allow the second half or next novel to move fully back to Westeros.

As long as it doesn't have 9 Brienne chapters consisting of her wandering around looking for two girls of whom the reader knows are nowhere near where she is it will all be fine.

I don't see TWOW focusing on any particular characters to be honest. A few POVs are paired up and thus will overlap with each other - i.e. Tyrion's chapters will give Dany screentime and vice versa. Plus, everything will have to be put into place for the final book, so no characters will be left a long way behind others, unless they're dying before ADOS.

My reckoning:

Tyrion Lannister - 8 chapters

Daenerys Targaryen - 7 chapters

Barristan Selmy - 3 chapters

Victarion Greyjoy - 3 chapters

Cersei Lannister - 8 chapters

Jaime Lannister - 6 chapters

Brienne of Tarth - 4 chapters

Arya Stark - 5 chapters

Sansa Stark - 7 chapters

Theon Greyjoy - 5 chapters

Asha Greyjoy - 3 chapters

Jon Snow - 8 chapters

Melisandre - 4 chapters

Davos Seaworth - 5 chapters

Samwell Tarly - 5 chapters

Arianne Martell - 5 chapters

Jon Connington - 1 chapter

Areo Hotah - 1 chapter

Aeron Greyjoy - 2 chapters

Bran Stark - 1 chapter

Prologue - 1 chapter

Epilogue - 1 chapter

That's 93 chapters, more than any book so far (ASOs the highest with 82). However, the multiple POVs, especially in locations where there is are upcoming action sequences, like the Battle of Meereen and to to a lesser extent Winterfell, means we'll probably get shorter, ping-pong style chapters that allows the book to get through a lot of plot in less pages. Hopefully the chapter length will lean a bit closer to AGOT-style (which has the joint-second-highest amount of chapters at 73, despite being the shortest book)

Bran and Jon. Maybe we can FINALLY get some answers.

Vic and Selmy and Tyrion...the meereen battle should be epic!

Theon or Ashsa...to see what went down in winterfell.

Areo Hotah...i want to see him and darkstar throw down.

Cersei...trial by combat. Ungregor Vs who? Lancel? Sandor? Loras? Should be awesome.

Jaime...because all his chapters are fun

Sam...to see whats up in the citadel

Sansa...to see what grrm wrote that is so disturbing.

Prologue...a maester at storms end

Epilogue...Benjen!

Rest...meh.

Jon and Melissandre (7)

Theon, Asha (6)

Bran (5)

Jaime, Brienne (3)

Sansa (4)

Aeron (1)

Cersei (3)

Arianne (4)

Areo Hotah (1)

Sam (5)

Arya (5)

Daenerys (6), Tyrion (5), Victarion (3), Barristan (3) for 17 total

I expect many of these POVs to be wiped out for the endgame and our main characters (Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, Bran) will have a vast majority of the chapters in aDoS

• 1 year later...

He should focus on these characters from most important characters to least:

1. Bran

2. Jon

3. Dany

4. Tyrion

5. Theon

6. Sansa

7. Arya

and I would like to see 2-3 Jaime chapters, 1-2 Cersei chapters, 1-2 Brienne chapters and 1-2 Asha chapters. One chapter for Davos and one chapter for Victarion but honestly, I'll just be happy in having a finished 6th book!

I want to see a chapter focusing on Bran - it would be very interesting to know more about Westeros' past. And then, I want to see a few chapters focusing on Ser Davos - will the Skags be as terrifying as believed? Will they cut a swathe of destruction throughout the mainland? And I'd also like to know whar Dany intends to do. I have simple tastes.

Archived