Once Upon a Time (Its very own 2nd thread)

Howdyphillip

I love musicals and disney films lol; I'll survive it.

I love those too, but he's right; this is an unprecedented level of song getting stuck in your head. The kind that just these posts about it, without even mentioning it name, make you sing it for hours, out-loud or not.

• 4 weeks later...

So, what did everyone think of the new episode?

The Regina feels were way too much for me. Seriously, I must have rewatched all her scenes five times. I'll put the rest under a spoiler cut.

Many kudos to Lana Parrilla, for managing to convey such a range of emotions just from a gesture or a look. Like how she couldn't even bring herself to say anything after the others joined her and Emma outside the diner, or the bright eyes when Robin tells her what they had was real getting clouded within seconds as he tells her he'll stay with Marian, or how she glances a different direction when Robin touches Marian's arm. Parrilla is brilliant, that's all.

The Rumbelle scenes were cute, but the dance might have been too much (let's pretend I didn't fangirl internally when that happened). What's with that hat Rumple found, though? Is that the one from Fantasia, and what significance could that have? Theories? :drool:

I was surprised to find I couldn't give a damn about the Frozen storyline. I mean, they handled it better than I expected - Elsa is the one thing that differs a bit from the movie, but the rest are like carbon copies of those characters. Even the CGI were acceptable! And I still can't believe they included Sven and Grand Pabbie - at this point, it will be almost disappointing if they forget about Olaf. But I can't help but think the time spent on the Frozen storyline could be better employed on the characters we care about that are staying on this show for longer than the next ten episodes...

But the best thing about this episode was the Enchanted Forest - or Misthaven! - people just going on regular panic mode at the ice monster threat, Emma still unable to believe what her life is like now, and Regina destroying the creature like everyone else was just way too incompetent to deal with simple cockroaches. And Giancarlo Esposito, of course!

Hey! :D

I enjoyed it. Actually thinking of watching it again.

I'm so glad that Regina didn't go straight to "angry plotting of murder" though it looked like it was going to go that way.

I'm still a little nervous actually. Regina ignoring Emma is one thing. Her blocking out Henry is not a great sign.

Many kudos to Lana Parrilla, for managing to convey such a range of emotions just from a gesture or a look. Like how she couldn't even bring herself to say anything after the others joined her and Emma outside the diner, or the bright eyes when Robin tells her what they had was real getting clouded within seconds as he tells her he'll stay with Marian, or how she glances a different direction when Robin touches Marian's arm. Parrilla is brilliant, that's all.

I totally agree. Gosh she is good. I also loved that moment when Sydney was all "I knew you didn't forget me" And there was Regina's fixed smile. Which seemed to scream - Noooo Pffft forget.. You?... No, I totes forgot you dude.

And there was perhaps a touch of ...shame? realisation, maybe.

I liked the parallels of Elsa and Regina being referred to as monsters. I'm interested in how they are planning to explore that.

I was a little surprised that they dived straight into Frozen. As much as I was relieved/impressed that the flashbacks and effects actually worked.

I was nervous given the wonderland spinoff could be a bit, um, poor. In the effects department. Grand Pabbie actually looked pretty cool.

But it makes me wonder how long this storyline will play out. How much material do they have planned.

Oh yeah and the hat. I don't know. Merlin was the first thing that came to mind. Is that possible?

I watched Frozen the other day so I would understand the characters in this more.

I liked the episode; and I'm interested to see where they'll take Regina considering she's my fave. I have to admit I didn't care that much about the Frozen stuff either, but I hope it lasts more than 10 eps hahah.

Right now, there is not a typical villain unlike in the previous seasons. Elsa may do some bad stuff, but we know her motivations, and she is not evil. Of course, Regina and Rumple were the villains at one point, so we'll have to see if they revert back to their old ways. My guess is that for this season there will be much more gray, and less black and white stuff, unless that sorcerer's hat Rumple found leads to a new villain.

Cool, I didn't know there was a thread about this show, though I just started watching it over the summer so I wouldn't have thought to look for it before now. My girls got into watching it on Netflix so I watched it with them and we caught up on all three previous seasons before the season 4 premier on Sunday. All my kids are huge Frozen fans too so they were highly anticipating this new season and the Frozen storyline. I have to say I was worried that they would make Elsa into some sort of villain like how they turned Peter Pan into one. Seems like they are not going that way so, that's good. I liked how they handled it. I was really sad for Regina at the end of last season when the woman Emma brought back with her was revealed to be Marian. Regina looked crushed! Even though she didn't go rushing back into evil Queen mode, I have a feeling this is going to be motivation for her to revert back to her more evil ways. They have to have a good villain after all. Of course we never know if Rumple will go full villain or not. I love how both "villains" are not cartoonishly evil but have shades of gray and sometimes you just have to love them and feel for them.

Although I just watched all seasons over the last couple of months I'm not going to mention much from them because that's a lot of material. But there is one big observation that I have to comment on from season one. I noticed that Belle's father in Storybrooke runs a flower shop called Game of Thornes! Ha ha. Being as Game of Thrones obsessed as I am, that really jumped out at me. I am guessing that was the same for many people on this forum too, am I right? I really like how they included the GOT reference in Belle's storyline which of course relates to the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale which everyone on here knows is GRRM's favorite.

For those worrying about Elsa becoming a villain or Regina returning to her old habits, relax, I doubt that will happen. Elsa is way too beloved by many people (and fresh in our memory) for them to deconstruct her like they did with Pan. And they've spent three seasons on Regina's character development, one of which was pretty much a redemption story for beginning to end, they're not just throwing that away. Plus (and I'll put this under spoilers just in case)

Elizabeth Mitchell's character will probably be the villain in 4A. I mean, her character is being kept a secret, and one of the producers was asked, a few months back, if she was Elsa's mother, or the original Snow Queen from the tale, and he replied she'd be one of those. The first scene clearly shows she's not the mother, so unless he was trolling us...

But come on, it will be amazing to watch Parrilla and Mitchell battling each other, both in wit and ice vs fire!

I have to admit I didn't care that much about the Frozen stuff either, but I hope it lasts more than 10 eps hahah.

It won't; this season will be like the third one, with two storylines. The second half of the season will be centered on

Maleficent

For those worrying about Elsa becoming a villain or Regina returning to her old habits, relax, I doubt that will happen. Elsa is way too beloved by many people (and fresh in our memory) for them to deconstruct her like they did with Pan. And they've spent three seasons on Regina's character development, one of which was pretty much a redemption story for beginning to end, they're not just throwing that away. Plus (and I'll put this under spoilers just in case)

Elizabeth Mitchell's character will probably be the villain in 4A. I mean, her character is being kept a secret, and one of the producers was asked, a few months back, if she was Elsa's mother, or the original Snow Queen from the tale, and he replied she'd be one of those. The first scene clearly shows she's not the mother, so unless he was trolling us...

But come on, it will be amazing to watch Parrilla and Mitchell battling each other, both in wit and ice vs fire!

It won't; this season will be like the third one, with two storylines. The second half of the season will be centered on

Maleficent

I hope Mitchell plays a villain that gets taken care of by no later than the end of the season. Because if she plays a protagonist, the show will be cancelled.

Confirmation:

According to this Wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Mitchell#Television, Elizabeth Mitchell will indeed play the Snow Queen!

This makes one wonder how Elsa got her powers. According to Frozen (the film) she was not cursed. So, is she the Snow Queen's biological baby? Are her parents the original couple of the old Snow Queen tale and her birth is just an after-effect of all those ice splinters?

Thoughts about the last episode:

1) I hope the Snow Queen hasn't been in Storybrooke all this time. That would not make much sense, given all that has happened. I'm guessing it's the Curse 2.0 that brought her there, and like everyone else she was clueless about the last year, until the Witch died last season.

2) Snow White has the POWER!!! That part was hilarious.

3) Message by raven, and with Elsa and the Snow Queen... Winter is coming.

1) Probably not the whole time, but Henry had to get that gelato in 3x15 from somewhere.

2) She's the mayor and Regina's sending messages with birds. I dig it when texts with mirrors actually mirror textually.

3) And there's a black clad fella lamenting his chastity and hacking impotently at an ice wall.

Of course such a good premiere would be followed by a "meh" episode like this one. For a show that is supposed to have three women as its main characters, there certainly was an excessive amount of unnecessary man-pain this episode.

30 seconds of Regina were better than the 40 minutes that preceded it. I liked the Snow White scene, her figuring out how to do something on her own while being a mother at the same time. Girl power! But I'll confess I want Snow to be an incompetent mayor and the citizens just go to Regina's door and beg her to take the job again; how fun would that be?

The Emma/Elsa parallels felt a bit forced, but the two actresses work well together.

I'm surprised to see how much Anna has grown on me. Charming wearing a wig was incredibly ridiculous, though.

And of course, the Snow Queen. :bowdown:

Added: they've released a deleted scene from this episode. I can't understand how they could have deleted it; it's amazing, it depicts one of the few relationships that has had real growth on the show, and it does so much to explain Regina's mindset and why she's keeping Henry away. Oh well.

1) Probably not the whole time, but Henry had to get that gelato in 3x15 from somewhere.

Don't forget Roland's ice cream in the season finale!

I'm inclined to believe she was in Storybrooke this whole time, and is only now revealing herself because of Elsa's actions.

'They call her Beau Peep'.

The sound of my forehead meeting squarely with the desk was audible for miles around. But then, Beau Peep as a loan shark? Yeah it grew on me. I'm still a bit pissed about the Frozen bandwagon and a lot of stuff feels forced as all hell, but so far I don't feel like stopping watching. That's a good sign.

Added: they've released a

from this episode. I can't understand how they could have deleted it; it's amazing, it depicts one of the few relationships that has had real growth on the show, and it does so much to explain Regina's mindset and why she's keeping Henry away. Oh well.

I think they probably cut it 'cause it, ahem, cuts the power of the final scene with Regina.

Archived