Dany ,the Dragonlord,and the Dragonbond

wolfmaid7

Many of us have come to associate Wargs and Warging with the Stark family,notably the Stark kids.These children experiance what is termed "Wolfdreams" and a form of telepathy with their familiars the Direwolves.In ACOK Bran remembers how Old Nan had told him that the Starks had Wolfsblood,but it is stronger in some than in others".In addition there is the other statement of how the blood of the First Men run in the viens of the Starks.

It is clear that among the Skinchangers a Warg is something different and i believe the same thing applies to the Targs.Accroding to the text the Dragonlords of Valyria controlled Dragons with sorcery and horns.This is an example of worked magic something that is not inherent.The Targs however atlease some of them form these bonds naturally and are the real Dragonlords.

I surmise that the Dragonlord and the Dragonlord bond is fire's equivalant of Wargs,in that there is somekind of skinchanging ability that takes place between a rider and his or her Dragon and i believe Dany is a Dragonlord.There are too many similarities between the Starks kids and Dany with regards to their familiars to dismiss that the bond the Direwolves and Dragons forge with them at its core and essence isn't the same thing. Which is something about these two families that make these creatures bond to them.

Dragon Dreams:

"There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud. Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. "You woke the dragon," he screamed as he kicked her. "You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon." Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was a dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found her, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid".

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt a dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her.There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma she raised her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

Then Dany sees her son, tall and proud with Drogo's skin and her hair, and violet eyes shaped like almonds. He smiles and reaches for her, but fire pours from his mouth and then he is consumed by fire. Next come ghosts, dressed as kings with hair of silver, gold, and platinum, and eyes of opal, amethyst, tourmaline, and jade. They cry out that she must go faster and faster. Pain rips through her and her skin tears open, revealing the shadow of wings. Then she flies.

The above dreams signify two things: Summons and transformation. However,on closer analysis it is not Dany doing the summons but the black dragon,who she herself later associates with the black egg(Drogon).It is clear that it is the dragon who has extended the invitation,and invitation which Dany accepts.It is followed by her transformation from a mild mannered girl into a dragon.Where Viserys was her guide and protector( a bad one) he is replaced by her guide (Drogon).

Note: Like Dany who was in a suicidal state of mind and weak,the Stark children also began having Wolfdreams when they were in some kind of peril impending or immediate.

Telepathy:

She was lying there, holding the egg, when she felt the child move within her . . . as if he were reaching out, brother to brother, blood to blood. "You are the dragon," Dany whispered to him, "the true dragon. I know it. I know it." And she smiled, and went to sleep dreaming of home( AGOT,Dany)

"Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt a dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temperd her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce"(AGOT,Dany).

"I was," she answered, standing over the dragon's eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shelf. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream. The stone felt strangely warm beneath her fingers . . . or was she still dreaming? She pulled her hand back nervously ( AGOT,Dany).

The above dreams seem to be the Dragon reaching out to her Furthermore,the above quote was a response to her handmaidens shock of her condition,prior to the eggs Dany was having a terrible time physically because of the blisters from the horse riding and Drogo riding her like a horse in bed. She began to realize that the eggs gave her strength emotionally and physically.She made a connection between the Dragon singing to her and the black egg she was touching.

In addition,( and i will locate this text later) there is an account of Dany asking Joer to touch the egg and tell her what he felt,he replied "only cold stone Kalessi",she was taken aback because when she touched them they felt warm.

Drogon raised his head, blood dripping from his teeth. The hero leapt onto his back and drove the iron spearpoint down at the base of the dragon's long scaled neck.Dany and Drogon screamed as one ( ADWD,pg.697).

Many will look at the above scene and think well what mother wouldn't scream on seeing their "child" hurt.I have to disagree the fact the GRRM chose to add the "as one" hints at a deeper connection,else why not say Dany screamed if it was all about her as a mother sympathizing with her child? Its very plausible that Dany rather was connected to Drogon's emotion and he was in pain therefore she responded.

"The Dragons know when she is near" Barristan
" Every child knows its mother".they call to me".Dany

She went on to say how much she didn't know about them only that Ageon never dare mount his sisters and they in turn never dare ride Balerion and that Balerion had other riders "AFTER" Ageon died( ADWD,pg670).

The above shows that with the Dragons we do know about ,they had particular riders because it was who they chose.This is further proof that the Dragons had a singular bond to a single person so much so that they would not let another mount them while their original rider was alive.

"The Dragonlords of Old Valyria had controlled their mounts with binding spells and sorcerers horns .Daenerys made do with a word and a whip"(ADWD,pg.930-931)

Dany did what the Dragonlords of Valyria could not do naturally, which was bond with a Dragon.

Her bare legs tightened around the Dragon's neck.She kicked him,and Drogon threw himself into the sky.Her whip was gone,so she used her hand and feet to turn him north by east,in the direction of the scout.Drogon went willingly enough; perhaps he smelt the riders fear (ADWD,pg,942).

I believe this is the first sign of the now established Dragonbond,Dany un-learnt in the area of Dragonbonding have mistaken this connection for Drogon being drawn to fear. Drogon has linked with Dany and went where he knew she wanted to go.Prior and earlier on Dany spoke about how Drogon did what and went where he wanted to go.The whip she said seem to annoy him because despite the hitting he did what ever he wanted.Now on her flight off the rock the whip was gone and she unconsciously relied on a bond with him and he went willingly. She had already made him submit so she no longer needed a whip. Drogon and Dany have begun to sync her wants have become his and no doubt it will be hard to tell the difference.

Dragons and Dragonlore

Two aspects of Dragonlore are incorporated in Dany's relationship with Drogo.These laws are some of the tenets of Dragon lore that the author has incorporated is said to initiate a bond with a Dragon you must

(1)make him submit,which Dany did:

"I cannot let him see my fear"........Dany hit him "No" no GET DOWN....his answering roar was full of pain,fear and fury, his wings beat twice then folded the Dragon gave one last hiss then stretched out on his belly (ADWD,Dany,pg.699).

(2) First flight which she accomplished:

"The lash was still in Dany's had,she flicked it against Drogon's neck and cried higher.......Dany could feel his heat of him between her thighs.Her heart felt as if it were about to burst.Yes she thought yes,now,now,do it,do ,it,take me,take me FLY.

The above is no mere relationship of mother and child they have become almost lovers.

The Dragon horn and it's mimicry of the Dragon's song and ritual

Morroqo: I am Dragonbinder, it says. Have you ever heard it sound?

Victarion: The sound it made it burned,
somehow. As if my bones were on fire, searing my flesh from within. Those writings glowed red-hot,then white-hot and painful to look upon. It seemed as if the sound would never end. It was like some long scream. A thousand screams, all melted into one.

Morroqo: And the man who blew the horn, what of him?
He died. There were blisters on his lips, after. His bird was bleeding too.
No mortal man shall sound me and live.

Bitterly Victarion brooded on the treachery of brothers. Eurons gifts are always poisoned.

Vic: The Crows Eye swore this horn would bind dragons to my will. But how will that serve me if the price is
death?

Mor: Your brother did not sound the horn himself. Nor must you. Moqorro pointed to the band of steel. Here. Blood for fire, fire for blood. Who blows the hellhorn matters not. The dragons will come to the horns master. You must claim the horn. With blood.( ADWD,Victarion).

Now i want to point out something with the horn i think it is supposed to somehow transform the master of the horn into a Dragonlord by copying what the Dragon actually does towards its rider. After Drogon was singing to Dany e engulfed her with flames. The flames didn't burn her she embraced it and was cleansed.

A comparison of the Dragonsong and the horn shows the same process.Vic heard a sound/song and it mimicked what happen to Dany except; Euron's slave took upon him the death that was sure to come because he was not blood.

Therefore it is safe to say the Dragonlords of Valyria had blood available to them else they would not have been able to bind Dragons to them.It was not an amicable bonding of two beings.In the case of the Targs unlike the regular dragonlords the Dragons of their own will "choose" the Targs to bond with.It is also understandable GRRM's quote that a Targ need not be one of the 3 heads.It could very well be a bastard with the blood of Old Valyria with the strength to withstand the Dragonsong.

Author's connection:

The maester stood on the windswept balcony outside his chambers. It was here the ravens came, after long flight. Their droppings speckled the gargoyles that rose twelve feet tall on either side of him, a hellhound and a wyvern, two of the thousand that brooded over the walls of the ancient fortress. When first he came to Dragonstone, the army of stone grotesques had made him uneasy, but as the years passed he had grown used to them. ACOK Maester Cressen.

There is talk of other type of Gargoyles on Dragonstone, in addition, a hellhound( wolf) standing guard side by side with a Wyvern(Dragon).Why use this imagery? Why depict a type of Dragon and Wolf standing guard.Dragons and Wolves are powerful spirit guides: Somehow because of this carefully placed bit of a scene, i believe there is a connection between the Dragons and the Direwolves as to the type of creatures they are.

The Wolf and Dragon as Spirit guides/Guardians

The Dragon spirit guide is no meek or gentle type of an animal spirit guide...the Dragon spirit guide is fierce and mighty and might appear quite intimidating at first.
Don't be scared by the Dragon spirit guide, he will not hurt you. The Dragon spirit guide might blow fire out of his nostrils and appear monstrous, but he is here to guide you further down your spiritual path.

Wolves are considered by many to be the highest animal in the spiritual plane. They represent the teachers and guardians of balance in nature within the Divine Universe. They are the spiritual messengers in animal form, between the Divine force and incarnated beings.Depending on their color, they teach different lessons and share different energies with those they watch over and walk beside.

Does the preceding sound familiar?

BREAKING NEWS:

Released just recently,an excerpt from "Dangerous Women" due in stores i think December 6th 2013

Beyond all these little bits of Westerosi history repeating, we also get our first real glimpse of dragon-centric warfare, along with the problem of finding able riders. Since dragons will only accept and bond with riders of Targaryen blood, the story chronicles the search for bastard-born dragonseeds to join the fray (with mixed results)a subplot which clearly holds some potential relevance for Daenerys and her trio of dragons as events continue to unfold in the novels

Real World associations and ASOFAI

Lastly,the answer to the Dragonlord bond lies in something so simple yet powerful image wise- The Valyrian Sphinx. It depicts a woman's head on a dragon's body.This i believe is the emotional bond represented physically.I also think M.Aeomon knew it,and it prompted his statement." The sphink IS the riddle not the riddler".Essentially what he was getting at is that is the union.He desired and wished he was younger so he could go to her and help her.

The Sphinx in Egyptian mythology is a sign of Skinchanging and metamorphosis as stated by Henry Fischer an expert on Ancient Egyptian culture. I can only guess that GRRM knew the meaning behind the Sphinx and put it in because of a particular attribute.The Targs at lease some of them like the Stark children are skinchangers,but their familiar animal is the Dragon.

Summary

The true Dragonlords had a natural bond with their Dragons and the bond was initiated by the Dragon,i believe this is the reason for Targs putting the eggs with their children in the crib.If the children got the dreams and more importantly SURVIVE mentally the dragonsons it meant they'd been chosen.This bond is a magical form of skinchanging as there is a transformation that takes place where two beings are coming together as one.Even though different animals are involved what the Stark kids go through is the same as with Dany.However, i believe the true mystery and interest would lie in the creatures themselves.

Edit: Clarifying and gathering of all my points and thoughts.
Edit:changing thread title

Or possibly she was just screaming because she could see what the spearman was about to do. Like if a woman was to see someone about to be hit by a car, they would most likely scream.

I've thought that possibly the Valarians controlled their dragons by warging, and that really the dragon horns were for show or those without warging abilities. Another possibility is that they can only warg when they are touching the dragon. Because at the end of ADWD Dany seems to be able to control Drogon and she's not using any Dragon horn.

Dany must have some kind of bond with her dragon (or she'd have made the transition from blood of the dragon to dinner of the dragon pretty quickly). But I don't believe it's a particular warglike bond - not every form of control is by warging.

The Stark kids began to skinchange into their wolves quite soon after they got them, with dreams seeming to be an easy gateway. Varamyr was already consciously slipping into other bodies back when he was little Lump. On the other hand, Drogon's been around for some while, and even though Dany had little time to spend time with him after she settled down in Meereen, that's still more time than Arya had with Nymeria when she wolf-dreamed herself across the continents.

I think if there was something skinchangerish about Dany's connection to Drogon, it would have manifested itself by now. (And as Dreadnought said, screaming when Drogon is threatened would be natural in any case.)

He was one of the spearmen sent out to drive the boar back to his pen. Perhaps he was drunk, or mad. Perhaps he had loved Barsena Blackhair from afar or had heard some whisper of the girl Hazzea. Perhaps he was just some common man who wanted bards to sing of him. He darted forward, his boar spear in his hands. Red sand kicked up beneath his heels, and shouts rang out from the seats. Drogon raised his head, blood dripping from his teeth. The hero leapt onto his back and drove the iron spearpoint down at the base of the dragon's long scaled neck.

Dany and Drogon screamed as one.

From what i understand a Warg to be,its a person that has a telapathic bond with an animal " familiar" so we know the Stark kids have a special bond with their Wolves.

Based on this and the above excerpt from ADWD is it possible she is a latent Warg?

Wheres your citation on this quote? I dont recall it.

Well, as you know, a warg is tied exclusively to a wolf/direwolf, so I guess you mean that Dany is a skinchanger, not a warg.

I think her connection to the dragons is different than skinchanging. It's like, she really has a mother-children connection with them... so she felt Drogon's pain as a mother senses her children's pain :dunno:

There's a huge connection between dany and her "children". To what extent I'm not sure, I don't think it's as far as being a skin changer. Them all being reborn at the same time out of that fire there is definitely a deep connection between them.

My first thoughts reading the chapters of her flying with Drogon is perhaps that's how the targs controlled them. Beyond magic and horns some of them may have skin changing ability. Like Starks with their wolves.

There's a huge connection between dany and her "children". To what extent I'm not sure, I don't think it's as far as being a skin changer. Them all being reborn at the same time out of that fire there is definitely a deep connection between them.

My first thoughts reading the chapters of her flying with Drogon is perhaps that's how the targs controlled them. Beyond magic and horns some of them may have skin changing ability. Like Starks with their wolves.

I agree with this. There's definitely a connection based on something supernatural, and I don't think it's the same connection the Starks have with their wolves.

It could be related in the grand scheme of things.

I very highly doubt Danerys will ever have the power to take control of her children.

I'm not saying she can "wear" them or anything like that,but that the way they may bond is via some type of telepathy. Goes into why there must be a particular Dragon for "a" rider.To me the quote seemed odd,so i think it was deliberate.

I agree with this. There's definitely a connection based on something supernatural, and I don't think it's the same connection the Starks have with their wolves.

It could be related in the grand scheme of things.

I very highly doubt Danerys will ever have the power to take control of her children.

I don't think she can, i think such a bond is only shared with Drogon as she is "his" rider.

The Valyrians controlled their dragons through sorcery, but since GRRM said "the third dragon rider need not be a Targaryen," either he means that it will be another Valryian, i.e., someone like Aurane, Shireen, a Blackfyre, or he hints they actually don't have a "magical bond" with dragons beyond sorcery.

It seems to me her bond is no more than that of a person who raises an animal from infancy, because it doesn't actually seem she controls them-thus far.

It also doesn't seem that the dragons were treated all that humanely either, or at least with any respect, so theres the hint that perhaps cruelty is involved for control.

With warging/skin changing, it seems as though man and animal become one.

As i am super swamped with writing 2 research papers this weekend i can't write the very long post i had in mind,but i will with a bit more clarity. I do think there is a magical bond with Dany and Drogo that's different from it being just a maternal thing. Bear with me guys.

Thought this was relevant:

“I have heard all I care to of their training.” Dany could feel tears welling in her eyes, sudden and unwanted. Her hand flashed up and cracked Ser Jorah hard across the face. It was either that, or cry.

Mormont touched the cheek she’d slapped. “If I have displeased my queen -”

“You have. You’ve displeased me greatly, ser. If you were my true knight, you would never have brought me to this vile sty.” If you were my true knight, you would never have kissed me, or looked at my breasts the way you did, or...

“As Your Grace commands. I shall tell Captain Groleo to make ready to sail on the evening tide, for some sty less vile.”

“No,” said Dany. Groleo watched them from the forecastle, and his crew was watching too. Whitebeard, her bloodriders, Jhiqui, everyone had stopped what they were doing at the sound of the slap. “I want to sail now, not on the tide, I want to sail far and fast and never look back. But I can’t, can I? There are eight thousand brick eunuchs for sale, and I must find some way to buy them.” And with that she left him, and went below.

snipping one paragraph...

“They have been wild while you were gone, Khaleesi,” Irri told her. “Viserion clawed splinters from the door, do you see? And Drogon made to escape when the slaver men came to see them. When I grabbed his tail to hold him back, he turned and bit me.” She showed Dany the marks of his teeth on her hand.

Both Dany and the dragons independently have violent reactions against the slavers. (Although you could say slapping Mormont was about something else too! XD) How independently is up for debate, since we know the dragons can sense her presence when near (from her 1st scene visiting them locked up in the pyramid - ADWD) and we really don't know how closely she is linked to them, however we know she feels she can't abandon the slaves. Almost like she has no choice in the matter, its just what has to be done. My thought is, the dragons AND Dany both feel the same obligation to end the suffering of slavery, though Dany doesn't know where it comes from.

I don't think Dany is a "dragon-typish" warg per se, but to me it seems like there is a connection that is very special.

I've also wondered if the old superstition of Targaryens not being able to get sick does have some basis of truth despite all the Targaryens that died, because its the dragons that kept them healthy.

Firstly, digging your screen name( Others Take Ya) i think i shall make that a T-Shirt.

Secondly, i share the underpinnings of your post,i guess this theory kind of stem from what is written of Dragon-lore and the lords that ride them. I'm not saying that GRRM will draw from these myths but some things i felt haven't been touched on. A lot of the magical aspects of this world is talked about in the sense of the Starks while in my view Dany gets looked more as a political figure.

In dragon lore one thing has always remained constant that a Dragon only has one rider thus bonded to one " lord".The fact that she can feel them and they can sense her when she is near indicates a bond, but i think that now that she has ridden Drogon that bond to him will be solidified.

Which mother would not cry if she sees her child stabbed?

Up to now, we have no evidence that others as first men descendants have skinchanging abilities

I get your point but GRRM chose his words carefully i believe when he said " they screamed AS ONE".

I get your point but GRRM chose his words carefully i believe when he said " they screamed AS ONE".

Well, maybe there is more than just motherly care (funny word for the relationship between a teenage girl and a flying lizard...), some kind of magical bond - not unlikely if magical creatures are involved - but I think it's something different as skinchanging.

Well, as you know, a warg is tied exclusively to a wolf/direwolf, so I guess you mean that Dany is a skinchanger, not a warg.

I think her connection to the dragons is different than skinchanging. It's like, she really has a mother-children connection with them... so she felt Drogon's pain as a mother senses her children's pain :dunno:

...What? A skinchanger and a warg are these same thing. Where did you get the impression that they aren't? So, what? Bran and Arya are skinchangers, but Jon and Sansa and Rickon and Robb are just wargs? That makes no sense. We've already been told (not explicitly, but you have to be blind not to pick it up) that they're just two differnet words for the same thing.

A skinchanger or warg is a person with the ability to enter the mind of an animal and control its actions.

That is from the wiki.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't believe that Dany is a warg, since she is of Valyrian or Valyrian-Andal-Rhoynar descent, and we only saw First Men wargs until now. And before anyone shout 'Bloodraven!', remember he is also a Blackwood, which is First Men House, which means he has First Men blood. So no, I don't believe Dany is a warg, unless there is a First Man-Targaryen marriage I haven't heard of with which the Targaryen dynasty continued.

...What? A skinchanger and a warg are these same thing. Where did you get the impression that they aren't? So, what? Bran and Arya are skinchangers, but Jon and Sansa and Rickon and Robb are just wargs? That makes no sense. We've already been told (not explicitly, but you have to be blind not to pick it up) that they're just two differnet words for the same thing.

That is from the wiki.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't believe that Dany is a warg, since she is of Valyrian or Valyrian-Andal-Rhoynar descent, and we only saw First Men wargs until now. And before anyone shout 'Bloodraven!', remember he is also a Blackwood, which is First Men House, which means he has First Men blood. So no, I don't believe Dany is a warg, unless there is a First Man-Targaryen marriage I haven't heard of with which the Targaryen dynasty continued.

Hahah, GRRM has said so.

Elio: In SoS, Jon mentions that he sees skinchangers _and_ wargs among the wildlings. What’s the difference?

GRRM: A warg is bound to a wolf. Skinchanger is a more general term. All wargs are skinchangers, but not all skinchangers are wargs.

Archived