how long did it take you to get hooked

MindAsh

I read the first book about a year ago after three of my friends suggested it. I was instantly hooked, and purchased the other books immediately after. I just finished aDwD and I have to say, it is one of the greatest series I have ever read. I was actually surprised how much I liked it, given that I'm not usually much of a reader but I loved it right from the start.

• 4 weeks later...

i havent read any fiction in years and literally just began reading the first novel of the series as i picked up the first 4 books boxed set at walmart a few weeks ago after watching the series repeatedly for a few weeks strait now and am about 15 pages into GoT and havent quite gotten hooked yet but was wondering how long it has taken you page wise to truely became enthralled in this book? Also greetings and salutations as i am quite new to the forum :-)

Quite honestly first few pages though I did know bait cause I'd seen first season,no writer has had me engaged as much,took me three weeks to read em all.

Well right now I've almost finished reading the first book and the reason for this interest in ASOIAF (I don't read a lot tbh) is because at first I was watching the series and I really got interested in Sandor Clegane, he seemed like an interesting character, and i knew the series was based on books so I googled him and came to this wiki, I read about Sandor, then I got to Gregor and then to Oberyn, the Red Viper. Now this really interested me and I wanted to know everything about him, because he seemed like a pretty mellow dude.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chief got hooked by the end of the prologue. but if you skip that or don't like it, it might take a few chapters before anything interesting happens, but don't skip the prologue, it introduces a very important... creature... that gets left out until the second book. sort of like a preview. in the first book, there is A LOT of foreshadowing, especially before the first major death. but nothing really happens until you have gone a few chapters into the book.

Ha, I picked up that very same 4 book set--what a great buy, especilly since I bought it free of charge with all the Coles cards I have been hoarding over the holidays!

It's funny--when I first read the prolouge, I thought it was rather boring, slow and confusing. Looking back, I now know that was just me getting used to Martin's style and how determinded he was to immerse you in every little nuance of Westeros by doing it the only way he knew how; dropping you right in the thick of it. Of course, I was right on the ball when it opened with Bran and the Stark family--and hell, looking back, the prolouge is one of my all-time favorite chapters in the book. Chilling, eerie and strangely beautiful. Don't you guys find that Martin writes beautiful death scenes?

So to answer your question--no, it didn't take long at all. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the paper back years and years ago, noting the author of The Wheel of Time was raving about it. The cover looked good, I like the huge white wolf. I read the prologue in the bookstore.

That was it. Then I ordered the hardback.

• 5 months later...

I remember seeing Promos for the T.V. show about a year in advance of the actual show. I thought it looked interesting and have been looking for a medieval type of show for a long time, and new HBO puts out quality material so I gave it a shot.

The Prologue got me. When the three guys go beyond the wall in that first 5 minute scene and the White Walkers show up, I thought "What the hell is this?" So I tuned in week after week and the whole story got me. It wasn't until episode 8 I tried to go online to find some spoilers to see if they were really going to behead Ned Stark, and to my surprise they had 4 books out on this. But sadly I did find out they would behead my favorite character. :frown5:

The next day I went out and bought all 4 books.

After term at uni, 4 months ago, I decided to watch HBO, as brother-in-law kept saying that it is about medieval ages ... Bran's fall did it.. I had to delete all three seasons from my computer as next term at uni started and I was still watching HBO. I ordered hardcovers after I watched season 1. I was stupid enough to read AGoT and ACoK before my term at uni started... my grades will be down this term that is for sure!

Anyway, I could not wait till my first book will arrive, so for first time ever I started reading AGoT on tablet. Although I knew from HBO what will happen, I was hooked from first pages. I hope from next week I will be able to re-read first two books and read the rest.

Archived