Watch, Watched, Watching: Spring Edition

RedEyedGhost

Saw Prometheus over the weekend. Starts off as a bad rip-off of Alien and becomes an incoherent mess by the end. Just a bad movie generally. Badly written and badly put together. Kinda sad given there's good ideas buried deep in there. Feels like a movie made by someone who knows what this kind of movie should be like, but doesn't understand why.

Pretty though I guess.

Arrested Development has a release date! 26th May will see the whole series out for our viewing pleasure...

Day before a Bank Holiday if you're in the UK as well which is a bonus.

Saw Prometheus over the weekend. Starts off as a bad rip-off of Alien and becomes an incoherent mess by the end. Just a bad movie generally. Badly written and badly put together. Kinda sad given there's good ideas buried deep in there. Feels like a movie made by someone who knows what this kind of movie should be like, but doesn't understand why.

Pretty though I guess.

I like Rapace and Fassbender, but the movie is indeed a poorly written mess.

I finally watched Argo, and it was really good, but it seemed to be lacking something. It just seemed too easy. And I know that it obviously was very difficult getting them out, but it just went along 1, 2, 3 and they tried to induce extra drama with intense music and sound effects but it just wasn't a "great" movie.

Minority Report: a movie I thought was really good. The world was great, with the commercials everywhere and the designs. The story was strong, especially the conversations between Danny and Anderton. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen.

The ending was not good though. Just a typical cliched happy ending. But this is not quite as good as Bladerunner, but it could have been. The same guy has written both books/short stories.

All in all, it was really good.

Minority Report: a movie I thought was really good. The world was great, with the commercials everywhere and the designs. The story was strong, especially the conversations between Danny and Anderton. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen.

The ending was not good though. Just a typical cliched happy ending. But this is not quite as good as Bladerunner, but it could have been. The same guy has written both books/short stories.

All in all, it was really good.

Happy ending maybe, after the scene where Tom Cruise is captured, everything seems to be a little cliched and going his way so to speak, this could be because Tom Cruise never escaped from his captors, and rather is dreaming the best possible outcome from his chamber while in "halo sleep" (I think that's what its called from what I remember). Theres been alot of speculation on the internet about the ending, and I like to think Spielberg just didn't give enough heads up/hints to the audience for the majority of them to deduce what really happened. But yeh, definitely one of the best sci-fi movies of last decade.

Watched The Rise and Fall of WCW, The Rise and Fall of ECW and Beyond the Mat a few days ago. A long time ago I used to watch wrestling, but that was over 20 years ago. I had missed a lot of strange shit, I guess. Fun movies, especially the one about WCW. Yikes!

Happy ending maybe, after the scene where Tom Cruise is captured, everything seems to be a little cliched and going his way so to speak, this could be because Tom Cruise never escaped from his captors, and rather is dreaming the best possible outcome from his chamber while in "halo sleep" (I think that's what its called from what I remember). Theres been alot of speculation on the internet about the ending, and I like to think Spielberg just didn't give enough heads up/hints to the audience for the majority of them to deduce what really happened. But yeh, definitely one of the best sci-fi movies of last decade.

Yeah, i read about that too. As the prison guard said, in the prison cages your life passes by in your mind. And some say that is what happens to Anderton.

But there were way too few clues (if any) pointing to this. Seriously, if that would be the true ending, it was way too diffuse. Show Cruise in the cage again after the sequence, don't just cut to credits. So I don't think it was a dream. We see some of that last part from his wife's perspective too. When she meets the guard.

It would be nice if it were a dream though. Great movie nonetheless, best sci-fi since blade Runner for me.

It would be nice if it were a dream though. Great movie nonetheless, best sci-fi since blade Runner for me.

I highly recommend Source Code with Jake Gylenhall, for me its the most underrated Sci-Fi movie of all time. Should be up there with the greats like Blade Runner.

I highly recommend Source Code with Jake Gylenhall, for me its the most underrated Sci-Fi movie of all time. Should be up there with the greats like Blade Runner.

Source Code is decent, but I had big problems with the ending. Moon was better, imo...

I didn't think Blade Runner was as good as its reputation, though its due a rewatch, but I do think there have been better SF films than Minority Report since it... The Matrix, Terminator 2, District 9, Monsters, Children of Men and Moon being the standouts, off the top of my head. And maybe Sunshine, though that seems to need the right setting to watch it (everyone I know who saw it in the cinema loved it. Everyone I know who didn't, didn't). Minority Report is very good, though.

This year should be dead good for SF. I'm unsure about Oblivion and After Earth, but then you've got Elysium, Pacific Rim and Gravity.

I've seen Source Code. Thought it was decent, nothing memorable. I thought District 9 was pretty mediocre actually.

I would maybe agree with The Matrix and T2 though. But those and Minority Report are very different movies. T2 is maybe more an action than sci-fi.

But it is pretty hard to rank these movies for me anyway. Blade Runner is the designated leader though.

Children of Men was pretty good, but it lacked that mmph. It was really beautiful though, but a bit predictable maybe.

Upcoming sci-fi does indeed look promising.

Just saw Jurassic Park in IMAX 3D and it was phenomenal. Twenty years later and it's still a benchmark in special effects. Do not miss this one in the theater, folks.

Yeah just got back from Jurassic. Still amazing. And it reminded me why I love movies. It's, to me, a near perfect movie. Perfect pacing, great effects, great score, and Sam Neil, Jeff Goldblum, and Samuel L. Jackson.

The whole time I was thinking "if this movie had been made now, it would never measure up." But that could just be nostalgia.

In other news, Elysium trailer tomorrow.

Archived