Val is Jon’s true Queen.

Jon's Queen Consort

At my latest re-read I have noticed many foreshadowing involving the future Queen Consort in the North Val and her King husband Jon.

Val stood beside him, tall and fair. They had crowned her with a simple circlet of dark bronze, yet she looked more regal in bronze than Stannis did in gold.
Then Ghost emerged from between two trees, with Val beside him. They look as though they belong together.
You have my word, Lord Snow. I will be a proper wildling princess for your queen.

Those are what I have so far. Do you agree or not? What would you add?

Hmmm, it's quite vague but there could be something to it.

I would love it if this was the case :D

ETA - although, did he not turn her down?

He didn't turn her down so much as he turned Stannis's offer down. Clearly Jon is very attracted to her- He shows this throughout ADWD. The problem was Stannis's ridiculous offer that would have forced Jon to disgrace the entire North and Ned in particular in the process of accepting it, since it required him to burn down the Winterfell weir wood tree and renounce the Old Gods.

I imagine if the situation was slightly less ridiculous Jon would not be turning Val down at all.

Do we have an age for Val? Or one for Dalla and then if she's perhaps older or younger than Val?

I don't think it's mentioned. I've always assumed she's around 25.

ETA - Actually, this is a bit old in the world of ASoIaF isn't it? Probably more 20ish.

Complete guessing though.

I imagine if the situation was slightly less ridiculous Jon would not be turning Val down at all.

So true, he's clearly smitten, but he also couldn't have accepted Winterfell on Stannis terms. I don't think Winterfell was Stannis to give, but that's a different argument for a different thread.

If Jon is ever crowned it will be a shame if Val is not his queen. It makes too much sense on so many levels. I hope jon consensually steals her! I don't know how that would work but Jon could find a way.

There are those that would argue he already has!

So true, he's clearly smitten, but he also couldn't have accepted Winterfell on Stannis terms. I don't think Winterfell was Stannis to give, but that's a different argument for a different thread.

I agree Jon is smitten by Val. He is clearly in a state of never-gonna-happen/can't deal with this now or ever/have a damn job to do so I'll just ignore it and do my job. But I can see him turning down Val. Accepting her from stannis eliminates the chase and based on free folk culture how would she look if he was just given to him by some king?

If Jon is King in the North, or on the Iron Throne with all seven kingdoms still united, I think his queen will most likely be Val, and they will represent a union of those on both sides of the Wall (which, I imagine, may not be standing any longer by the end of the series).

Seems a little grasping to be honest. The last quote is amusing, though.

I like the pairing, and they have a hell of a lot more synergy than most of the women Jon's usually paired up with (including, but not limited to: a fanatical witch likely ten times his age, a queen he's never met, and his kid sister), but eh.

I agree Jon is smitten by Val. He is clearly in a state of never-gonna-happen/can't deal with this now or ever/have a damn job to do so I'll just ignore it and do my job. But I can see him turning down Val. Accepting her from stannis eliminates the chase and based on free folk culture how would he look if he was just given to him by some king?

Oh, no, he couldn't. He has to steal her for himself. I think Ragnorak puts together a great argument that he does steal her after turning down Stannis. Read the OP in this thread:

I'm not sure that Jon will have the option of choosing his bride, but if by the end the IT still exists and he's in succession for that, I don't think he can marry Val. That marriage would not unify the country, sadly it would have to be either Dany, Margaery, or Arrianne. I know Val might help in bringing the wildlings into the realm but she couldn't be the Queen of Westeros because all their marriage would accomplish is binding the Wildlings to the north...the realm itself would still be split. I'm really against Dany cause the whole incest thing is just played out and I feel like the Targs would have had a lot fewer problems with mental stability if there hadn't been quite so much inbreeding, but either of the other two would be acceptable (assuming Margaery survives being married to Tommen and her trial). I'm not even entertaining the idea of Sansa or Arya cause...no that is just...no.

Archived